Changing Reservations Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

georgirl84

Does it cost to change reservations? How do I do it? I want to take an earlier train to my destination and leave a day earlier than I originally had planned

There's no change fee, but you may have to pay a higher ticket price. Or, if you're lucky, you'll get a lower price.

What train are you taking? There may be other useful advice depending on the type if train you're booking (long distance, medium distance or commuter).

I needed to call the reservations directly -- My 1st change -- because I saw a "cheaper" sleeper (this cost me a fee of some sort to change). I had to change my departure/return city for reservation for various reasons.. I changed from leaving out of one place and picking train up later - same day just different place --- There was no charge and got an e-voucher for difference in cost. Now... another change for the same reservation. I change from where I was leaving from ... There was a "fee" for doing this as she cancelled me out and put me back in leaving from my new destination. She was going to change roomettes, but finally got her to let me keep what I had. Her computer went bonkers & couldn't do the return trip -- told me to call back in half hour. Ok fast forward to half hour. Next clerk charged me the additional cost to the further end destination very simple. Bottom line.. The ease of doing anything depends on the clerk. Both were pleasant. But the first made much more work of the change.

There is no "change fee". What the fee is for is most likely a fee to receive a cash (or credit card) refund. If you object to this "fee", you can chose to receive an e-voucher instead and receive 100% of the difference. You may have to state before the changes are made that you want an e-voucher instead of a cash refund.

OP - The point about the e-voucher was well taken - I was never given any option at any time it was just "there is a 10% fee" for doing this. So if there is any mention of a fee by the phone reservation clerk - tell them that you want an e-voucher. Oh, well. I was just happy it all got straight. In my case it'll be interesting to see what happens to our credit card -- we received 3 different e-mail notices from the reservation clerk ... hopefully not charged 3 different times for the same tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back