Changing from a bus train combo to a train train combo

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aarem

Train Attendant
We are trying to buy tickets on Amtrak from SLO to OSC and are being given a midnight bus to EMY and the train from EMY to OSC. There is a train earlier in the evening (from 3:05 to 9:31 arriving at EMY) and we would rather take the train (avoiding the buse), and find a hotel near the EMY station). However, Amtrak does not give us this option at all.

So, we have two questions:

1. If I do a multi-trip, I am told that the train from SLO to OSC is the cheapest option of travel (and the midnight 12:30 AM bus does not even show up). So, can I buy this bus-train combo and change the reservation to the train-train combo? (We would rather be on a train). How can we figure out what the price differential is?

2. If we were doing checked baggage, can we check the baggage in SLO itself and have it go all the way to OSC? We do not anticipate a lot of baggage but would like to not lug it around to and from the hotel in EMY. (Although we wanted to do the rooms, we will probably end up with the roomette since the price differential seems a bit too steep, at an additional $1000).

Thanks for your suggestions!

OSC does not offer checked baggage service, so you can't check bags to OSC from anywhere. If you take the Coast Starlight from SLO, you can check bags from SLO to EMY, and you can probably leave them at the station overnight and retrieve them to carry on the train when you board the CZ the next morning. I believe Amtrak's policy is that you can drop off or pick up luggage up to 24 hours before/after departure/arrival. You might want to confirm that with the staff at EMY before you leave the station for the night.

I see no reason to book the Mixed Service trip and then try to modify it. Just book a Multi-City ticket with SLO-EMY first segment, and EMY-OSC 2nd segment. On the website, just select Mult-City instead of One Way or Round Trip. If you've already booked the bus/train ticket, call Amtrak for assistance. I did a trial booking, and the Multi-City was about $100 more; that could vary by date.

Last edited:
OSC does not offer checked baggage service, so you can't check bags to OSC from anywhere. If you take the Coast Starlight from SLO, you can check bags from SLO to EMY, and you can probably leave them at the station overnight and retrieve them to carry on the train when you board the CZ the next morning. I believe Amtrak's policy is that you can drop off or pick up luggage up to 24 hours before/after departure/arrival. You might want to confirm that with the staff at EMY before you leave the station for the night.

Thanks for this. OK, got it. So no baggage service to OSC then.

I see no reason to book the Mixed Service trip and then try to modify it. Just book a Multi-City ticket with SLO-EMY first segment, and EMY-OSC 2nd segment. On the website, just select Mult-City instead of One Way or Round Trip. If you've already booked the bus/train ticket, call Amtrak for assistance. I did a trial booking, and the Multi-City was about $100 more; that could vary by date.
I guess my one concern is what if the first train is horribly late (and we are not on a through ticket). Though presumably it is not clear what Amtrak could do, other than put us on the next train a day later, assuming there was availability. However, there is a almost 12-hour gap between arrival and departure at EMY so it is possible that the concern is moot. Btw, in the winter, how late is the CZ train? Our one experience in the summer of 2019 (from DEN to OSC) on CZ was not much to write home about. The train was late and arrived at around 1:30 pm at OSC, and they deliberately delayed lunch for the entire train to make sure that the OSC passengers would not get claims on their food.

If you are in SLO, or any other place with a staffed station, I would go and speak with the agent. Otherwise I would call 1-800-USA-RAIL. I believe the system will not let you book a multi segment reservation that is not guaranteed. This was actually a significant issue for me on my last USA railpass tour. There was a service disruption on my guaranteed connection, but the agent could not override the system to put me on a punctual but not guaranteed connection, so he had to walk me trackside and put me aboard. On the whole I have found that the station agents are far and away the most helpful and don’t require hours on hold. I would not make two separate reservations.

Over the winter I would expect a delay of 4-13 hours, last winter 4-6 seemed popular. ASMAD would be of help there. It pops right up in google and you can find historical data for any one segment run.

If you are in SLO, or any other place with a staffed station, I would go and speak with the agent. Otherwise I would call 1-800-USA-RAIL. I believe the system will not let you book a multi segment reservation that is not guaranteed. This was actually a significant issue for me on my last USA railpass tour. There was a service disruption on my guaranteed connection, but the agent could not override the system to put me on a punctual but not guaranteed connection, so he had to walk me trackside and put me aboard. On the whole I have found that the station agents are far and away the most helpful and don’t require hours on hold. I would not make two separate reservations.
My apologies. I am not clear. So, you suggest I make a single reservation (including the bus and train) and then ask to take the train on the previous day? If there is a price differential, then I pay the station agent? Or should I make the multi segment reservation? I think the system is allowing it.

Over the winter I would expect a delay of 4-13 hours, last winter 4-6 seemed popular. ASMAD would be of help there. It pops right up in google and you can find historical data for any one segment run.
I had never previously heard of ASMAD. I will look it up. Thanks!

If I lived in a place with a staffed station, I would go there and make a reservation at the ticket counter with the station agent, which is a standard service. Explain that you want to take 11 SLO-EMY and then 6 EMY-OCS the next morning. He or she will know exactly how to book it so you get one reservation and a guaranteed connection. If I didn’t live in a place with a staffed station, I would call. As a third less-sure option I would book a single multi city ticket online and hope nothing goes wrong. What I would NOT do is book the bus-train reservation and then try to modify it (as you’ll get hit with fees and fare differentials and blah blah blah) or book two separate reservations (as that is definitely not guaranteed).

I don’t think this is correct. In June I traveled from New London to Albany through Boston. Amtrak wanted me to connect at NYP so I booked my ticket as a multi city trip thereby “forcing” the Boston connection. My understanding is that my connection wasn’t guaranteed and that I would have needed to find my own way to Albany if I had missed the LSL due to a late NER.

If I lived in a place with a staffed station, I would go there and make a reservation at the ticket counter with the station agent, which is a standard service. Explain that you want to take 11 SLO-EMY and then 6 EMY-OCS the next morning. He or she will know exactly how to book it so you get one reservation and a guaranteed connection. If I didn’t live in a place with a staffed station, I would call. As a third less-sure option I would book a single multi city ticket online and hope nothing goes wrong. What I would NOT do is book the bus-train reservation and then try to modify it (as you’ll get hit with fees and fare differentials and blah blah blah) or book two separate reservations (as that is definitely not guaranteed).
Thanks, I think I can go to SLO once I am there and try and book as you suggest. There is a chance that fares will go up. Btw, why is the single mutl-city ticket online on the same reservation a less sure option? Many thanks!

I don’t think this is correct. In June I traveled from New London to Albany through Boston. Amtrak wanted me to connect at NYP so I booked my ticket as a multi city trip thereby “forcing” the Boston connection. My understanding is that my connection wasn’t guaranteed and that I would have needed to find my own way to Albany if I had missed the LSL due to a late NER.
Ah, I see. Thanks for this. I would have a 12-hour wait in EMY so hopefully this will not be an issue. In my experience, that 11 SLO-EMY is late leaving SLO. I have taken it from LAX to SLO, never northbound beyond SLO.

Thanks, I think I can go to SLO once I am there and try and book as you suggest. There is a chance that fares will go up. Btw, why is the single mutl-city ticket online on the same reservation a less sure option? Many thanks!

Ah, I see. Thanks for this. I would have a 12-hour wait in EMY so hopefully this will not be an issue. In my experience, that 11 SLO-EMY is late leaving SLO. I have taken it from LAX to SLO, never northbound beyond SLO.

Just book the multi-city online with your actual preferred itinerary, unless there’s a specific need for you to go to an agent to book (and, in this case, there isn’t). The likelihood of a 15-hour delay on the northbound into Emeryville so low as to not really warrant a consideration in your booking plans.

There’s nothing concerning or “less sure” about it.

Thanks, I purchased our tickets as a multi-ride ticket. The 14CS is on coach. For the 6 CZ, we got Car 632, Room(ette) Number 3. Is there anything to know about this car/room?

Back