Changes to change fee waiver

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelkfla

Engineer
I noticed a new waiver statement on the website today (1/1/24).

The change fee waiver now starts out:
"Amtrak is waiving all change fees for any reservations made with Saver Fares by December 31, 2024, including reservations booked with points."
So they now say it applies only to Saver Fares, but the rules down below say no changes are allowed on Saver Fares, and make no mention of change fees. Did they mean to say that changes will be allowed, with no fees?

And the statement says they've extended it to travel on points. Which seems to be contradicted later in the statement:
"Rules that apply to Reward Tickets redeemed using Amtrak Guest Rewards points are not affected by this waiver."
Maybe they just forgot to take that out. But isn't points travel always booked at the highest fare class, which makes the whole thing inapplicable?

Also concerning is the added statement:
"The change fee waiver does not apply to a previously purchased fare rebooked for the same train, date and origin/destination to a lower fare."
I read this as saying that they will no longer adjust a fare if it goes lower after booking. Or does that only apply to Saver Fares, which are the subject of the waiver?

Opinions?

Last edited:
I noticed a new waiver statement on the website today (1/1/24).

The change fee waiver now starts out:

So they now say it applies only to Saver Fares, but they've extended it to travel on points. Which seems to be contradicted a few sentences down, by

Maybe they just forgot to take that out.

But more concerning is the added statement:

I read this as saying that they will no longer adjust a fare if it goes lower after booking. Or does that only apply to Saver Fares, which are the subject of the waiver?

Opinions?
I mean, if you can afford to float the cash to do so, there's obviously still room to do a "happy dance" of booking a new ticket and then "changing" the old ticket in some way, shape, or form (or vice-versa).

[Also, does the change waiver also allow you to cancel as well, or just "change" the ticket?]

Back