change tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we have tickets from washington dc to providence, ri, but found out we need to get off in kingston,ri. is there any problem making this change with amtrak? will we have to get new tickets?

Most likely not. You can just tell the conductor, you would rather get off at Kingston. He's not going to "make" you stay on the train. However you may be up for a refund for that portion you don't travel on. It may not be very much though, so it probably won't be trying to get it back. Someone may be able to answer your question better than I can though. But I hope I help.

Chris

When you get to the station to board go to the ticket window first and exchange your tickets for new ones. If you charged them to a credit card the agent will issue a credit to that card. remember to give yourself extra time station however it should not take to long. Depending on the time of day, give yourself 15 to 30 minutes extra.

The fare difference WAS-KIN vs. WAS-PVD is $2. If you're looking for a cash/credit card refund, they'd probably take 10% of that, leaving you with $1.80 (or you'd get $2 credit towards future travel). I'm not sure whether that's worth going out of one's way and arriving up to a half hour early. Depending on how busy the station/ticket window is, it's probably not worth the ticket agent's time either, if they could be helping someone else.

If I were traveling, I'd just hop off early and eat the $2 difference. Others may feel differently, but that's what I'd do.

Back