Cell Service .

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pianocat

Lead Service Attendant
I'll be on SWC, CS, and CZ in the next couple of weeks, and wondering if anyone can give me ideas about where I might not have any cell service. I've taken the SWC and CZ before, but never with a cell phone data plan. With this being a 7,000 + mile trip, I would like to be in touch with my kids as much as possible. Chances are I'll simply turn the fool thing off for most legs of this trip, but if anyone can offer information about distinct places where data is dropped - would appreciate it. Btw, I have AT&T 4g w/LTE. TIA. [sWC - CHI to RIV, CS - LA to PDX, CZ - SAC to CHI]

I took the CZ in March, with an AT&T iPad, and a Verizon iPhone. This is what I found:

Most of the route does have service, although strength and signal can vary heavily. All of the carriers struggle in Colorado, and specifically the Rockies. I remember not having a solid signal for a few hours while we were going through the mountains, but since that is the most scenic part, it shouldn't be a big deal. AT&T also tends to roam quite frequently while going through Nevada, although if I remember correctly, it should be 3G for the most part (make sure that data roaming is enabled within your phone's settings, in order to take advantage of it). They don't charge extra for roaming, but may take issue if you use tons of data off-network (shouldn't be a problem though, since the Nevada portion is mostly at night).

Besides the Rockies, you shouldn't have any major problems, at least along the CZ portion of your trip. I haven't been on the SWC, or the CS, so I can't speak to the service on those routes. I can infer though that service along the CS portions should be relatively good, since Amtrak does offer WiFi in the Pacific Parlour Car (which first class passengers have exclusive access to).

If you have an iPhone, I'd recommend downloading an app called Coverage?, which gives you a map of each carrier's coverage throughout the US. It does cost a few dollars, but I've found it to be invaluable. It will show your location using GPS, so you'll know when you're about to enter an area with bad/no service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't expect service between Chemult and Eugene Oregon on the CS. You may even lose it about 10 miles north of Klamath Falls. If there are people who need to know if you are going to be late, they can sign on and check on "Status". I prefer to look out the window instead of at my phone or other electronic device.

Me too, Tom Fuller. I prefer to just leave the world behind [phone] and just enjoy the moment. Thanks for the info.

I just took the SWC this week! WIth a Verizon hotspot (the MHS291) on the whole time. I was asleep for much of Arizona so I can't speak to that...it did crap out completely around Lamy, NM and also after Raton. The New Mexico hinterlands were hit or miss in general. Colorado was pretty good once we crossed over...Kansas was okay...there were some I guess rural parts of Iowa or Illinois where I was signal free, but it wasn't that long. I would say the biggest signal gap was New Mexico past Albuquerque.

I enjoy sharing my trip via email and Glympse to friends online. Glympse is a smart phone app that uses your GPS data to send to a website that plots your movements on a map with speed.

I also send updates when I make stops or hourly updates. I once had a family driving to Orlando racing me, using my updates to see how close in time they were to me :)

Bottom line, it is enjoyable.

Bruce-SSR

What part of the SWC are you riding? The cell service is not good between Fort Madison and Kansas City.

I have Glympse already on my iPhone, so will be using that. I'll be taking SWC from Chicago to Riverside, CA. THinking between those 2 cities {Lamy and Raton} might not have reception. Thanks for the info, Justin - Lamy to Raton, etc. I'll just plan to nap during those times! Actually...i would prefer to just turn the stupid "smart" phone off totally and just enjoy my time looking out the window!!!

Thanks for the help!

The wifi signal in the Pacific Parlour Car on the CS can, at times, be picked up with sufficient strength in the coach car adjacent to the Superliner Lounge car.

However, the wifi router often craps out on the CS, and I have yet to meet a lounge car employee who knew how to reset it and return it to service during a run.

Along the east coast, I noticed getting cell signal nearer major cities than being near a major highway.

Bruce-SSR

On the SWC, ours always goes out between Fort Madison and Kansas City, but I can't remember exactly where. I just know it's really weak in spots. We've never lost it completely, but it goes down to "Extended 1x".

We also lose most/all of our signal in the Raton Pass and the Glorieta Pass. We can usually pick it back up as we get closer to Las Vegas (going westbound).

The only time we get 3G/4G is when we're close to a city along the interstate, as Traveler mentioned.

Caveat: We have Sprint, and I've talked to other people on the train who had Verizon and got a good signal in areas we didn't have anything, so take my response with that grain of salt. We're planning to switch carriers when our contract is up next month. I haven't decided between AT&T and Verizon yet.

On the SWC, ours always goes out between Fort Madison and Kansas City, but I can't remember exactly where. I just know it's really weak in spots. We've never lost it completely, but it goes down to "Extended 1x".

We also lose most/all of our signal in the Raton Pass and the Glorieta Pass. We can usually pick it back up as we get closer to Las Vegas (going westbound).

The only time we get 3G/4G is when we're close to a city along the interstate, as Traveler mentioned.

Caveat: We have Sprint, and I've talked to other people on the train who had Verizon and got a good signal in areas we didn't have anything, so take my response with that grain of salt. We're planning to switch carriers when our contract is up next month. I haven't decided between AT&T and Verizon yet.
Personally speaking, when my contract was up with Sprint, I thought about going to Verizon. But their price structure made me shun them, they nickel and dime you. I also have Sprint and noticed their service is getting better. On board the train, I also use a Mifi hot spot device. Its a Virgin Mobile service which uses Sprint. But unlike my Sprint GS3, it doesn't roam.

Bruce-SSR

Look into Boost Mobile, its owned by Sprint, works on their Network (3G and 4G LTE ) , has No Contracts, decreasing payments ( every 6 months you make your payment on time it goes down $ 5 a month), is Much Cheaper($40-$55 a month for Unlimited depending on your phone) and has a good choice of Phones you purchase, not lease/ purchase!

If you can afford it most of the people I've traveled with on LD Trains have had the best overall service with Verizon!

I have Verizon, and my experience on the SWC last October was similar -- not a usable signal in various spots in rural Missouri, or in the Raton Pass area, but I think it was at least 3G elsewhere. (West of Albuquerque, the route running fairly close to Interstate 40 and then Interstate 15 obviously helps considerably.)

Just wondering - in areas where the cell tower signal is too weak to carry on a lengthy conversation, might it be good enough to squeeze a text in here and there?

Just wondering - in areas where the cell tower signal is too weak to carry on a lengthy conversation, might it be good enough to squeeze a text in here and there?
SMS messages require much less signal bandwidth than calls do. As long as you have some sort of signal, you should still be able to send text messages. If you have an iPhone, iMessage may not work (since it uses data), but you'll still be able to send regular text messages.

SMS messages require much less signal bandwidth than calls do. As long as you have some sort of signal, you should still be able to send text messages. If you have an iPhone, iMessage may not work (since it uses data), but you'll still be able to send regular text messages.
That's great, still able to stay in touch!

I was on the CZ (#5) last month and kept losing service in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I'd get 1 to 3 bars for a few miles, then get dropped completely. This happened on and off between Truckee and Colfax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back