Cell Phone Headache

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always interpreted this as not necessarily being for the comfort and convenience of other passengers, but as a courtesy to Dining Car staff who do not want to compete with your cell phone or iPad for your attention.
Who cares. They need to just get over it. Annoying passengers and patrons should be dealt with individually. I've never had the maître d’of a restaurant inform me that cell phone conversations should not be done in the restaurant.

I have always interpreted this as not necessarily being for the comfort and convenience of other passengers, but as a courtesy to Dining Car staff who do not want to compete with your cell phone or iPad for your attention.
Who cares. They need to just get over it. Annoying passengers and patrons should be dealt with individually. I've never had the maître d'of a restaurant inform me that cell phone conversations should not be done in the restaurant.
I've seen it done several times.

I'd appreciate your sharing the names of those establishments so that I may easily avoid them. Thanks!

I was seated in front of a woman like this on the Silver Star on New Years Day. She wouldn't stop yapping loudly on her cell phone and her kid was listening to his music loud enough to make the guy next to him deaf. After about 2.5 hours of this, I finally complained and the conductor said something to her. Maybe it's just because I live in a city with a "quiet car" on most (rush hour) trains - that I love to utilize - but I've never had problems with noise around me like I did on that trip.

Then again, that particular trip was a fiasco from the start as there was a guy in my car who was quite inebriated and grabbed both me and the woman behind me as we boarded in West Palm Beach. All the women in the car cheered when he was thrown off in Tampa. Apparently he had done it to all or most of us.

I'd appreciate your sharing the names of those establishments so that I may easily avoid them. Thanks!
One comes to mind immediately --- Bric's Ramp in Burbank, CA. We'll all be happier without the noise. A restaurant is a place to relax and eat, not being forced to listen to some else s conversation.

BTW, don't cross Gary Bric, he has been known to take things into his own hands. ;-)

A restaurant is a place to relax and eat, not being forced to listen to some else s conversation.
Perhaps he should just install one of these and then he won't even have to ask! :giggle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_jammer

I actually know of a couple of restaurants that utilize these quite successfully. Never does a cell phone ring during dinner! Ever!

Everyone is happy and no one has to be threatened or scolded!

Last edited by a moderator:
To be blunt I wish endless misery to any one who breaks laws that can put some one eles life in direct danger .

seatbelts helmets I could care less . but blowing a red or a stopsign or jamming Pisses me off .

I have good reason to be a tad grumpy about this .

I was Hit by a Idot on a cell phone at my college last year .

And years ago I was jammed by a Ex Ham ( who was pissed ) while I was calling in a nasty car crash in the high desert in cali where My phone and the crash victims phone would not get a Sig . :help:

I ended up doing Simplex to the back end of another repeater.

KG6LSE .

I don't necessarily agree with the blocking as much as I agree with common courtesy. I mean, really, does anyone want to listen to someone elses' conversation for that long? keep your convos on your phone short and sweet. We all thank you.

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread, but I heard this on the CARDINAL eastbound from CHI-BAL on 12/14. We pulled in to Huntington, WV about (6) hours late because of the freight train wreck with the RV in Indiana. About 30-40 Marshall University students boarded and about 10-15 minutes later the conductor gets on and says something to the effect that people are expected to wear their clothing correctly and the exposing of undergarments if it continues will result in being put off the train at the next stop. I was flabbergasted. The guess he had a low tolerance for gangsta wannabes showing their underwear while low riding their pants.

NAVYBLUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back