CDOT to order more M-8's announcement

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The M-8s are definitely sleek. From what I could see in the article it looks like you will still continue to see partial diesel service on the SLE, as the article indicates the M-8s will make up half of the SLE fleet. I would imagine the former VRE cars and P-40s are what will stick around with the older GEEPs and rolling stock retired. I just wish CT would give the P-40s a fresh coat of paint...

The M-8s are definitely sleek. From what I could see in the article it looks like you will still continue to see partial diesel service on the SLE, as the article indicates the M-8s will make up half of the SLE fleet. I would imagine the former VRE cars and P-40s are what will stick around with the older GEEPs and rolling stock retired. I just wish CT would give the P-40s a fresh coat of paint...

Hmm currently SLE only uses 16 cars a day on 4 x 4 car trainsets, the other 17 Mafersa cars were stored right after they got rebuilt at Kawasaki.

Alright, I stand corrected. I definitely don't spend as much time on The Mets as you do Dutch. Still makes you wonder what they'll do with the fleet though...

Still makes you wonder what they'll do with the fleet though...
If it is eventually displaced by M-8s, the current Shore Line East diesel equipment has the potential to be used for New Haven - Hartford - Springfield commuter rail service, and / or on the Danbury and Waterbury branches of Metro-North's New Haven Line where there's no catenary.

Still makes you wonder what they'll do with the fleet though...
If it is eventually displaced by M-8s, the current Shore Line East diesel equipment has the potential to be used for New Haven - Hartford - Springfield commuter rail service, and / or on the Danbury and Waterbury branches of Metro-North's New Haven Line where there's no catenary.
Not on Danbury branch, but the SLE equipment with MNCR crew does do a raound trip on Waterbury during the day.

THe CDOT and MNCR shoreliners are currently going thru a rebuild program extending their life by about 20 years or so.

The Mafersa cars are restricted to 20 mph in third rail territory and prohibited from GCT.

Back