CBP Entry Fee on the Adirondack, and Safety Instructions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Vancouver Pacific Central CBP post is considered (or was for historical reasons considered) to be an extension of the Vancouver Airport CBP post and hence behaved differently from other land crossing posts. But that was supposed to change once the new treaty was signed and sealed. I have no idea where all that stands now.

The CBP staff at Pacific Central Station I know comes over from YVR. The last time I was up there were I94 forms around, so I assume they are following the procedure for I94/I94-Ws for non-US/non-Canadian residents for land entry. Whether they charge the processing fee or not, I don't know, or how consistently, I do not know. I do know there is a fee associated with it, and if you don't get charged, for whatever reason, you lucked out and should not expect never to get charged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Border stuff changes all the time. For years you could traverse the Shengen area unencumbered with border checks once you were admitted to one country, now Denmark and Sweden (especially Sweden) have re-instituted border checks. I used to go to and from Canada with a drivers lic. Not anymore. Canada will take a drivers lic and a birth cert, for a US cit, US will not.

Border stuff changes all the time. For years you could traverse the Shengen area unencumbered with border checks once you were admitted to one country, now Denmark and Sweden (especially Sweden) have re-instituted border checks. I used to go to and from Canada with a drivers lic. Not anymore. Canada will take a drivers lic and a birth cert, for a US cit, US will not.
I just crossed the border round trip (Champlain NY/Blackpool PQ) using my Enhanced NY driver's license. You can cross the border with only that, but it must be from one of the states that issue Enhanced driver's licenses. There is an extra fee, and documentation required to obtain them. It is only valid on a land crossing. You still need a passport if flying.

An EDL is different than a regular d/l since it is considered a WHTI compliant document.Actually it is land and sea , since I have one and use it for cruises (not to Jamaica). 5 states MI,MN,VT,NY, and WA and 4 Canadian provinces issue them, they are available only to citizens.

An EDL is different than a regular d/l since it is considered a WHTI compliant document.Actually it is land and sea , since I have one and use it for cruises (not to Jamaica). 5 states MI,MN,VT,NY, and WA and 4 Canadian provinces issue them, they are available only to citizens.
Thanks for clarifying that...when I said land, I should have said surface....
default_smile.png

When going on cruises, even though the EDL would be sufficient, I always take my passport, just in case I have to fly home for some reason....

Back