Cary, NC, parking, dinner, and the Silver Star

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

railsnsails

A couple of questions...If one has a viewliner roomette to Tampa out of Cary, NC, is dinner still being served for sleeping car passengers by the time you board? (9:27 p.m. scheduled). Not a huge deal if it isn't as that is kind of late for dinner anyway, but just curious though. Also, how is the long term parking situation at the Cary station? I know it doubles as the DMV office from researching it online. Finally, how good a bet is it, barring the unforseen but always possible unexpected, that the Star would make it to Tampa in plenty of time to catch a cruise ship departing at 5pm the next afternoon? (hopefully pretty safe connection most of the time, since the Star is due into Tampa at 12:34 p.m.) Thanks.

I'm not giving you an exact answer, but this is my take on your questions. I would expect the diner to be closed by 9:30 pm., so have dinner beforehand. That train may be usually on time, but that connection would make me nervous. Is it possible for you to book a day earlier? I was a tour bus driver this summer in Ketchikan, Alaska this summer. There were a number of instances of passenger's flight connections into Seattle or Vancouver becoming messed up and they missed their ship, necessitating an expensive flight to Ketchikan. ( I have no idea how many cruise passengers took trains to their ships starting cities. )

Long term parking at Cary is fine. There's really no such thing as a "bad part of town" in Cary. It's free, and spaces are plentiful. The DMV actually moved out a couple months ago in anticipation of some station renovations. I have parked overnight there plenty of times. No problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back