Carry-on Luggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read through this topic and it's been helpful, but I'm wondering how you handle your carry-on security when you're sleeping in coach? I'll probably have a backpack and it's easy enough to lock it shut, but that doesn't stop anyone from just carrying the whole bag off at a stop while I'm sleeping. I know they segregate the seating somewhat so theoretically there's not much traffic in the coach car with people sleeping, but is this a guarantee?

Nobody is going to steal your bag while you are sleeping. They are risking getting killed in a blind rage- and thats BEFORE you realize they are trying to steal something. But if you feel uncomfortable about that, use your bag instead of the legrest.

Nobody is going to steal your bag while you are sleeping. They are risking getting killed in a blind rage- and thats BEFORE you realize they are trying to steal something. But if you feel uncomfortable about that, use your bag instead of the legrest.
IMHO it's irresponsible to state that "nobody is going to steal your bag" and give the poster a false sense of security. There is no guarantee and it is wise to be watcheful. However, I can state that in all of my rail travel, I have never had a problem and have never heard of a fellow passenger who has had a problem. Overall, I feel very secure in leaving my luggage and carry-ons in either the overhead rack or the storage area. As stated over and over again, keep your valuable possessions with you at all times.

I'll be taking a Superliner Roomette on a long trip.

Since I don't plan on using the top bunk, can a normal rollerboard bag (fits in the overhead on a 737) be stored in the top bunk space?

If a bag is stored in the storage area, are you allowed to use a cable lock to a rail or post?

Thanks for any guidance.

Since I don't plan on using the top bunk, can a normal rollerboard bag (fits in the overhead on a 737) be stored in the top bunk space?
Yes, you should have no trouble leaving your bag on the upper bunk. You can probably even get it to stand in the corner on the step/armrest area by the one seat. The choice is yours.

If a bag is stored in the storage area, are you allowed to use a cable lock to a rail or post?
I've never seen that done and I don't know what they might do if you did that. I will say that there isn't a lot that you can chain the bag too and if you're not one of the first people on it would quickly become impossible. And bags do get moved around a lot, so you might find you bag damaged accidentally if it was locked down.

But since you're traveling solo you shouldn't need to do this anyhow, since as I answered above, you should have no trouble keeping the bag in your room. I do it all the time.

Hi Everyone! It's now a little over a month till I take my first EVER train ride. I'm taking the CZ from Davis to Chicago. I have a question about my carry-on luggage. Is there a compartment for me to lock it in? Thanks! Steve
Just got back from my first trip in coach..LA to Chicago and back. I felt very safe w/ my belongings left above the seat while in the lounge car where I spent much of my trip. Like others said, I would not leave computer or cell phone out but I think the whole environment felt very safe.

DanO

In terms of safety, we were upset that we couldn't lock our bedroom - leaving a laptop, camera, GPS etc when we went to eat.
But all was well. I guess pax should not leave their bedroom when the train is in a station.
I just make sure to close the door and the curtain, as well as put any valuables out of sight when I leave the room.
I, too, have my laptop, camera, GPS, cell phone, DS, and DVD player in my room. However, I do just what AlanB does, and I have yet to have a problem.

No one except for other sleeper passengers are walking through, plus I would hope the attendant would notice someone going from compartment to compartment.

Plus, the only other place I would be, is in the dining car, and the "thief" would need to walk right by me. I think I would notice someone carrying my backpack.

Just got back from my first trip in coach..LA to Chicago and back. I felt very safe w/ my belongings left above the seat while in the lounge car where I spent much of my trip. Like others said, I would not leave computer or cell phone out but I think the whole environment felt very safe.
I guess I'm pretty cavalier about this, but I leave my clothing/larger bags in the overhead area for the whole trip, and often leave a shoulder/book bag at my feet when moving about. My camera lives in a belt pouch (I'll be using it throughout the train, in the lounge or in the diner) and my phone lives in my pocket, but my laptop and laptop/phone chargers, yes, they tend to stay in coach.

My policy is "make friends with my seatmate early, and assess their character"; and I think I've only had a couple seatmates of dubious character in years of travel. Once I have a sense that my seatmate is unlikely to do anything malicious (and the knowledge that they're traveling some distance--eg, I'll be back in my seat before they're off the train), I'm comfortable leaving my things there, assuming they'll keep anyone else from taking my bag (and knowing I can casually make sure my laptop and chargers are still there later).

I've also got a general belief that a group of familiar strangers polices itself--your neighbors don't change very often on a train, and even though most of you don't actually know each other, you become familiar, and odd activity is likely to be noticed.

And "make friends with my seatmate" has all sorts of other benefits! Great conversations get started that way--that's one of the marvelous things about train travel, especially long-distance train travel. And perhaps I'll write more about one of those in MStrain's thread later... ;)

Overall, I feel very secure in leaving my luggage and carry-ons in either the overhead rack or the storage area. As stated over and over again, keep your valuable possessions with you at all times.
I guess the question comes down to how can you keep your valuables "with you" while you're sleeping. It sounds like it would be fine to just leave the bag overhead since it will be dark and all, but I just want to be sure. I'm not a paranoid person but I don't want to be naive either!

Hmm, I guess that I'm more trusting than I ought to be, but in more than a quarter century of Amtrak travel I've never worried about my bags, and never have had anything pilfered. I always sling my suitcase into the bin on the lower level and my carryon into the overhead shelf and have never given them another thought.

I'd never leave something valuable looking like a camera or walkman out when I leave my seat, and I don't carry a laptop, and I suppose I'd be more concerned if I had those with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back