Carry On Lugage Only???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walt

Lead Service Attendant
We have always taken overnight trains, and therefore always had checked luggage.

We are taking our first "day" trip on Amtrak, the Vermonter, and note it says that there is no checked luggage, only carry on. Now, we are still going for a week trip in VT, and therefore, really would still like to take our large suitcase.

Is luggage on the Vermonter really just limited to small carry on luggage like that allowed on airlines, or is there some sort of "self check" baggage storage area? I mean, I can't envision customers who take this train for a skiing trip, really hold all their ski equipment in their laps or something.

Does anyone have any experience with the Vermonter?

All of the Amtrak coaches (even commuter cars like on the regionals, although can't speak for Acela equipment) have a luggage "rack" at one end of the car. So yes you can take larger suitcases and store them there. Also, there are always overhead luggage racks which acomodate most larger bags as well. Of course Amtrak has there restrictions on how large and how many bags you can take with you on board.

Amtrak's definition of a "carry-on" dramatically differs from that of airlines. Amtrak allows you to bring two large 50 lb suitcases with you onboard, measuring up to 28" x 22" x 14", though in reality, no one is checking the actual dimensions. As long as you don't go hog wild and bring a travel trunk or something, you should be fine. By contrast, the standard airline maximum carry-on size is 22" x 14" x 9".

By the way, on long-distance trains, Amtrak also allows you to check three pieces of luggage in addition to your two "carry-ons." That's a total of 5 suitcases -- very generous. We once MOVED from Boston to Boulder by Amtrak, using that baggage allowance to the full (in addition to shipping some stuff).

Last edited by a moderator:
As a note they aren't going to weight and measure luggage, the attendants I've talked to say this rule is to protect employees from injuries related to handling carry on luggage. They personally don't care if you bring 100lb suitcases that are 40 inch cubes, as long as you keep up with it and don't take up a seat with it.

Amtrak allows you to "carry-on" two checked-luggage size bags, as well as what would normally qualify as carry-ons. For example, briefcases and purses do not qualify as a carryon.

The rules do explicitly prohibt ski equipment as carry-on luggage, though, and it surprises me that Vermont's state funded train wouldn't be encouraging people to come to Vermont to ski.

(And when Amtrak doesn't happen to want to put two P42 locomotives on the Vermonter, they have use use a cab/baggage car on the back of the train for the Springfield to Palmer, MA portion of the trip, so I doubt coming up with a baggage car is difficult.)

The rules do explicitly prohibt ski equipment as carry-on luggage, though, and it surprises me that Vermont's state funded train wouldn't be encouraging people to come to Vermont to ski.
In an effort to prevent the payments to Amtrak to keep the Vermonter running from getting larger, the State allowed Amtrak to remove the baggage car.

(And when Amtrak doesn't happen to want to put two P42 locomotives on the Vermonter, they have use use a cab/baggage car on the back of the train for the Springfield to Palmer, MA portion of the trip, so I doubt coming up with a baggage car is difficult.)
I'm not aware of any single level cab/baggage cars on Amtrak's roster. Did you mean an NPCU, more lovingly referred to as a Cabbage? If so, they are in rather short supply, so it might not be that easy to come up with one.

Amtrak allows you to "carry-on" two checked-luggage size bags, as well as what would normally qualify as carry-ons.
Thanks. And thanks to all who responded!

I just need to take one "checked-luggage" size suit case. As long as that is OK, I will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back