Carolinian: Discharge/Receive at Wash DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ttSta

Looking to take a bicycle aboard a train from Newark NJ to Washington Union Station for a day trip to the capital. Accordingly, the Carolinian 79 westbound timetable lists only Newark NJ as a receive-only stop, and allows me to book the Newark to DC leg.

However, the eastbound 80 timetable shows all stations from DC to Newark NJ as discharge only; and the reservations system will not book return travel on the 80 from DC. Clearly I must book return travel via Alexandria VA (at a $2.00 premium). May I board at Washington Union Station in spite of this? And if so, how much ahead of schedule may 80 potentially leave DC?

May I board at Washington Union Station in spite of this? And if so, how much ahead of schedule may 80 potentially leave DC?
No, there is no way to board at Washington-the track will not be announced and you will not be allowed access to the train.

PS Why not take a Regional?

PS Why not take a Regional?
The issue is the baggage (the bike), but that could ride in the baggage car of the Carolinian, Cardinal or Palmetto while I'm aboard the Regional.

An Alexandria boarding does ensure that the bike will be there (at Newark) at the same time I'm there. The other options, not as much.

However, the eastbound 80 timetable shows all stations from DC to Newark NJ as discharge only; and the reservations system will not book return travel on the 80 from DC. Clearly I must book return travel via Alexandria VA (at a $2.00 premium). May I board at Washington Union Station in spite of this? And if so, how much ahead of schedule may 80 potentially leave DC?
Correct. And it is not a "premium". It is a longer journey (granted by only 8 miles) from another state and requires a higher fare.

So ride the Metro out to ALX and board #80 there. Done it before, no big deal.

Since you have you bicycle, how bout just cycling your way to ALX :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So ride the Metro out to ALX and board #80 there. Done it before, no big deal.
Since you have you bicycle, how bout just cycling your way to ALX :)
Yes, I would definitely ride out to ALX rather than taking the Metro, although it does cut into the time I'd rather spend back in D.C.

The more I think about this, the more I'm inclined to take the Regional and wait on the bike at Newark. That the Carolinian provides outbound access (with baggage) to any and all cities on the NEC is heartening enough. That the corresponding return service is slightly convoluted is not a huge issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back