Carolinian #79

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smh12345

Good morning

Apologies for starting a new topic on something that is possibly searchable throughout the forums, but it's been difficult to find a clear answer on the following questions:

I am taking the Carolinian down from NY to Charlotte. I've heard mixed reviews on the quality of the train, regarding coach seating vs business class.

-Is the seating really more "comfortable" and "bigger" in business class?

-Are their electrical outlet at each seat in coach?

-Is business class overall less crowded and comfortable in that aspect?

It's $50 for the upgrade, which I don't mind paying, I don't often take trips of this length on the train--but who wants to pay a dime for anything that isn't worth a dime, or $50 in this case.

Much appreciated.

I don't think its worth $50. Most coach will have electrical outlets and WIFI. If you can walk to cafe, you will save $42 on the trip.

I don't think its worth $50. Most coach will have electrical outlets and WIFI. If you can walk to cafe, you will save $42 on the trip.
sorry i don't follow--if i can walk to the cafe???

thanks

In my experience, the coach seats are too close together. There is scant legroom. They remind me of commuter coaches - okay for a short trip. The seats in business class have more legroom. Business class also affords complimentary drinks - or at least it used to. You'll have to decide whether or not it's worth the extra money or not.

Enjoy your trip.

John Bobinyec

I don't follow either. To answer your questions, there will be electrical outlets at the seats in both the Amfleet coach and business class cars. The Carolinian runs with the 60 seat 2x2 full length business class car, the last I checked. Business class seats will have more legroom, should be a bit more comfortable, but not wider than coach. Coach class seats have decent legroom and width, close to what you get in business class on domestic air travel, so they are not uncomfortable. You also get free 8 oz soda cans in business class (at the café car), but that is such a minor perk, I really don't know why they bother. Business class typically can be less crowded than coach, but both could be full on the busy city pairs of the journey.

From NYP to Charlotte is a long haul. If I were taking that long a trip on a Amfleet I car, I would go for business class, but that is only what I would do.

thanks
Not sure about the dollar amounts, but I think he was trying to say that if you go purchase the drink yourself instead of the free one you get in business class it will save you money. In other words, I think he is saying that he doesn't feel there is enough difference to justify the cost.

I've taken that same train many times and ridden in business class and coach. For me, I don't think it's worth the extra to upgrade. I can't discern any difference between the coach and business class seats, one is just as comfortable as the other. They say business has a bit more legroom, but it wasn't noticable to me. The only reason to upgrade to business class is because it might be less crowded up there. When I rode business, most people had two seats to themselves. But depending on when you travel, that might not always be the case.

So save your 50 dollars.

We just took the 79 from Baltimore to Cary NC. It was awful. Dirty, crowded, late and very uncomfortable seats even though we upgraded to business. Nothing like the pictures they show on line. My husband & I both had back problems for days afterwards from the terrible seating. We will never do this again. Did I mention dirty!

I've ridden the Carolinian a bunch, but usually on short hops between Raleigh and Charlotte. The advantages of business class in my mind are cleaner restrooms and the cabin is usually quieter.

thanks
Not sure about the dollar amounts, but I think he was trying to say that if you go purchase the drink yourself instead of the free one you get in business class it will save you money. In other words, I think he is saying that he doesn't feel there is enough difference to justify the cost.
Yea, that 50 dollars could buy you 15 cans of soda or so. I doubt anyone will drink that many cans during the trip.

We just took the 79 from Baltimore to Cary NC. It was awful. Dirty, crowded, late and very uncomfortable seats even though we upgraded to business. Nothing like the pictures they show on line. My husband & I both had back problems for days afterwards from the terrible seating. We will never do this again. Did I mention dirty!
This site is not owned or operated by Amtrak. Read the disclaimer! Hope you actually read the replies!

Last edited by a moderator:
79/80 have been assigned mostly Amfleet I coaches since inception. In the beginning that meant 84-seat coaches, although seating density has loosened up a little since then. It is a quirk of history that 89/90 usually operate with Amfleet II coaches. People who live at stations in NC/VA served by both 79/80 and 89/90 will usually choose 89/90 for this reason.

As for business class, I have seen 79/80 assigned 100% straight Amfleet I (in which case business class passengers get the same seating as everyone else)... or business class are put in one Amfleet II coach... or even a rare club-dinette with the coveted 1x2 seats is assigned. Luck of the draw.

My experience with 79/80 and 89/90 has been such that I would pay the extra.

On 79/80 (Carolinian), the coaches are Amfleet 1, 80 seaters, and the BCare hte 60 seater Amfleet 1. In that case, BC is clearly more roomy, plus, there's a better chance that the crowds will be less and you'll be able to have 2 seats for yourself. On my last trip, the coaches were packed solid on a warm day, and despite the A/C, the cars reeked, which wasn't the case in BC.

On 89/90 (The Palmetto), 60 seater Amfleet II coaches are available (though they have an Amfleet I coach, too, for people going shorter distances), and the BC is the same 60 seater Amfleet I. In that case, BC doesn't have an advantage in roominess of the seats, but I still prefer it because it's usually less crowded.

In general, I don't bother with BC on the NEC, unless it's a real crowded travel time and I want to increase the chance I can sit with my traveling companions. Maybe for a trip was WAS to BOS. And if I'm taking 66/67 overnight, I'll spring for BC, as that train has the 2+1 seating, the seats recline further, there are the legrests, and the windows have curtains. The same is true for the Vermonter. On the other hand, the Pennsylvanian abandoned the 2+1 club BC seating for a 60 seater Amfleet I, while the coaches are (mostly) 60 seat Amfleet II, so I think there's no advantage to BC unless you're traveling during a busy period.

In my mind, one of the main things you're getting from an accommodation upgrade is less crowding. The other stuff is just icing on the cake.

This site is not owned or operated by Amtrak. Read the disclaimer! Hope you actually read the replies!
I see nothing in jenny's post that assumes this is an Amtrak site. In fact, "...they show on line. " clearly indicates that she knows this is not an Amtrak site. She had a lousy trip and she's venting. That is her right.

I see nothing in jenny's post that assumes this is an Amtrak site. In fact, "...they show on line. " clearly indicates that she knows this is not an Amtrak site. She had a lousy trip and she's venting. That is her right.
She has the right to vent, but I have the right to get angry about the venting, too!

She has the right to vent, but I have the right to get angry about the venting, too!
People are welcome to talk about bad experiences just like the good experiences -- it's too bad that most who do, though, get torn apart five different ways and then don't come back. :(

Why on earth would you get angry about someone venting about a problem? Just because you have the "right" to get angry does not mean it is the kind and considerate thing to do. Getting angry at jenny served no constructive purpose other than to possibly upset jenny and some other AU members.

People are welcome to talk about bad experiences just like the good experiences -- it's too bad that most who do, though, get torn apart five different ways and then don't come back. :(

I've always thought this aspect of AU is unfortunate. I've often wondered how many posters have been turned off by getting chewed up and spit out for daring to post something that others have deemed disagreeable. Rodney King said it best when he said "Can't we all just get along?" :eek:

Why on earth would you get angry about someone venting about a problem? Just because you have the "right" to get angry does not mean it is the kind and considerate thing to do. Getting angry at jenny served no constructive purpose other than to possibly upset jenny and some other AU members.
**Like**

I have ridden the Carolinian, Durham to Philly, on numerous occasions. Never once has this train been clean, well equipped, with proper temperature control and on-time performance. Not once! I will also add that the people who staff this train are consistently rude, indifferent to passenger concerns, and, to put it bluntly, lazy. They congregate in the cafe car and hide out....while the restrooms remain unsightly and foul smelling. If I had options for travel, I would never ride this train again.

I've also ridden the Carolonian many times (most recently last month from Rocky Mount NC to Trenton NJ. Had a great and friendly car host, had a great and friendly lounge car attendant, and Conductors seemed nice. I remember using the restrooms and remember being surprised at how clean they were despite the train being very full.

In all my trips on this train (at least 6 one way trips over the past few years) I remember one grumpy car host. Other than that... I've either had better luck than you or your negative views are highly exaggerated. Oh and my train was on time into Trenton (I think it left 20 minutes late from Rocky Mount).

To the poster riding Rocky Mount to Trenton, glad to know you had good experience on the train. Mine was consistenly awful. And, no, I did not exaggerate in my review. On three trips, two other companions were riding with me and all three of us agreed then, and agree now, it was a miserable experience. As I said before, if I had other options (and I don't, because of the nature of my work....), I would certainly not set foot on this train again.

I will add that I am a longtime train passenger, have ridden Amtrak trains out west and in the south for years....and rarely had a negative experience. It is this specific train's personnel and management that are at the root of the problem. Poor, at best.

Guest Hill. I've had bad experiences on trains so I don't doubt... But what made all 3 trips miserable for you?

In general... I find bad crews to be the exception rather than the norm these days.

My experience with 79/80 and 89/90 has been such that I would pay the extra.
On 79/80 (Carolinian), the coaches are Amfleet 1, 80 seaters, and the BCare hte 60 seater Amfleet 1. In that case, BC is clearly more roomy, plus, there's a better chance that the crowds will be less and you'll be able to have 2 seats for yourself. On my last trip, the coaches were packed solid on a warm day, and despite the A/C, the cars reeked, which wasn't the case in BC.

On 89/90 (The Palmetto), 60 seater Amfleet II coaches are available (though they have an Amfleet I coach, too, for people going shorter distances), and the BC is the same 60 seater Amfleet I. In that case, BC doesn't have an advantage in roominess of the seats, but I still prefer it because it's usually less crowded.

In general, I don't bother with BC on the NEC, unless it's a real crowded travel time and I want to increase the chance I can sit with my traveling companions. Maybe for a trip was WAS to BOS. And if I'm taking 66/67 overnight, I'll spring for BC, as that train has the 2+1 seating, the seats recline further, there are the legrests, and the windows have curtains. The same is true for the Vermonter. On the other hand, the Pennsylvanian abandoned the 2+1 club BC seating for a 60 seater Amfleet I, while the coaches are (mostly) 60 seat Amfleet II, so I think there's no advantage to BC unless you're traveling during a busy period.

In my mind, one of the main things you're getting from an accommodation upgrade is less crowding. The other stuff is just icing on the cake.
As a frequent Palmetto customer, MARC Rider has it right. It's all about avoiding crowded, unpleasant coaches on a long trip. Certainly not necessary though on a short haul NEC segment.

The one time I rode business class on the Carolinian, the coach attendant for the Business Class was ruder than snot. She was abrasive and unhelpful. Coffee was ONLY served between certain stations.

I only rode BC because it was a sold out train (including BC) and it was a short jaunt from Kannapolis to Selma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back