Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfan

Service Attendant
Have any of you rode the Cardinal ? I was thinking of going from Chi to Was , then returning either the Cardinal

or the Capital. I will get a sleeper if possible. I would appreciate any comments! I have heard both + and- on

the Cardinal!

Thanks

Trainfan

I took the Cardinal on Feb 3 from NYP to IND. It us often fully booked in the sleeper car (only 1).

It has Viewliner sleeper as compared to the Superliner cars on the Capitol Limited. I think the scenery

is better on the Cardinal.

I have ridden both the Capitol Limited (WAS-CHI) and the Cardinal (NYP-CHI) and prefer the Cardinal. The scenery is nicer on the Cardinal IMHO. Although the sleepers on the Cardinal tend to much more expensive then the Capitol Limited its still worth the ride. I would recommend taking the Capitol Limited westbound and the Cardinal eastbound.

Always try to ride the Cardinal eastbound, as westbound for most of the year the most scenic part of the ride New River Gorge occurs after dark. Darkness makes it decidedly unscenic.

If you are only riding one way, WAS to CHI, I'd take the Cardinal as you will get more riding time on the train. The Cap has a better diner but I found the food on the Cardinal just fine. I like the Viewliner roomettes better than the Superliner because of the second window and more headroom.

Either way, if you get a sleeper, don't forget to use the Club Acela in DC for your waiting room. Ligth snacks, coffee and soft drinks are complimentary in the Acela lounge.

Def the Cardinal on Eastbound, but book EARLY, EARLY, EARLY, and STILL be prepared to spend more than the Cap. The Cap is nice, don't get me wrong, the scenery Eastbound is just a tad better on the Cardinal. Added bonus as OP said of a few more train hours.

I second everyone's opinions about the Cardinal (though I may be a bit bias because it is my home station train). But seriously, I love taking the sleeper through that beautiful river-laden gorge. When we rode it in the summer we watched kayakers and canoers and white-water rafters having lots of fun!

Def the Cardinal on Eastbound, but book EARLY, EARLY, EARLY, and STILL be prepared to spend more than the Cap. The Cap is nice, don't get me wrong, the scenery Eastbound is just a tad better on the Cardinal. Added bonus as OP said of a few more train hours.
Try to get an odd numbered roomette on the Card, best viewing for the gorge. You can pretty much count on the viewliner being pointed in the same direction most all of the time.

With that said, the odd numbered roomettes offer good views of the Ohio River and the water stays on that side until you go through Hawks Nest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back