Cardinal questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because of the four times a week schedule for the Hoosier State, the equipment has to be deadheaded on the Cardinal on certain days. It doesn't happen on every run. People smarter than will be able to say which days this occurs,
So is it just deadheading or does it also take passengers?

Because of the four times a week schedule for the Hoosier State, the equipment has to be deadheaded on the Cardinal on certain days. It doesn't happen on every run. People smarter than will be able to say which days this occurs,
As far a I know, the Hoosier State cars are deadheading. This became quite an issue when Iowa Pacific was operating the Hoosier State.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far a I know, the Hoosier State cars are deadheading. This became quite an issue when Iowa Pacific was operating the Hoosier State.
Thanks, that makes more sense. I was confused because if IND-CHI passengers were put in the Hoosier State part of the train, they would be unable to access the Cardinal section, which includes the dining car (technically diner-lite) and the other coaches. Wouldn't work out great.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The combining of trains likely happen just once a week. On Monday there is a Hoosier State in IND when the Cardinal arrives from New York. That Hoosier State is needed in Chicago for Monday's train so they have to combine the 2 trains to get the equipment back to CHI. The Cardinal does not run until Tuesday. Also on Tuesday the Hoosier State has to get to IND from CHI for that day's train but the Cardinal runs so the can combine the trains.
Now that I think about it, the train I was on departed Charlottesville on Sunday so would have departed Indianapolis on Monday morning. Makes sense.

When I rode the Cardinal in the sleeper last March for the first time, it was on the rear, behind the dinette.

The food was pretty bad, even with it still offering table service. The beef entree for dinner was far worse than the warm sandwich they serve on 59 leaving CHI, though the breakfast was a little better than on 59. About a wash, all in all. Don’t take the Cardinal for the food, take it for the scenery.
My advice - stay conservative. Order the Railroad French Toast or the Continental for Breakfast and the Cheeseburger for Lunch. It will fill the void without too much risk.

Save the healthy meals for off the train.

Unless you have strict dietary requirements, then bring your own food
default_smile.png

Back