Cardinal from Charlottesville to Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Swadian Hardcore said:
1334465852[/url]' post='360982']Well, I m extremly confused now. If rivers do flow across the Eastern Continental Divide, how can the waters on both sides flow in different directions? Do the river peak at the divide, with waters on either side flowing in different directions?
Waters don't flow across any divide. What gave you that idea?Let me try to explain another way. North America has three primary drainage basins - the arctic, pacific and atlantic. There is also The Great endorheic basin that drains nowhere but ignore that for now.Waters in the Atlantic basin stay there. They never cross a divide into another drainage basin, and they all end up in the Atlantic ocean.Now then, think about how they get there. Some of them go straight to the Atlantic ocean, but some go to the gulf of Mexico first, THEN to the Atlantic ocean. The Eastern Divide separates those two SUB basins into what you could call the Atlantic ocean basin and the gulf basin. No waters cross that divide either. They either go to the ocean or the gulf but not both.Now let's look at the gulf basin. It, in turn, can be even FURTHER subdivided. Water can enter the gulf through the Rio Grande, Mobile Bay, Tampa Bay, the Mississippi River, or lots of other rivers and bays that make up their own smaller drainage basins that are all part of the gulf basin.Drilling down one more level to the Mississippi basin - waters can enter the Mississippi river directly, or through the Ohio river, Missouri river, etc.

You see a lot of signs around here in the mid-Atlantic telling you what basin (or "watershed") you're in. Not uncommon to see signs telling you you're in the "Little Patuxent Watershed" - which is, itself, part of the Patuxent watershed, which is part of the Chesapeake bay watershed, which is part of the Atlantic basin.

Just came in on the Cardinal with my family. The consensus was that the best scenery was from Culpepper to White Sulfur Springs. The New River Gorge is great, and I love it, but it is the same kind of thing - mountain river with tall mountains on the other side (nice). The other areas have more variety. But It is all good scenery. Just needs a Sightseer Lounge, or at least be in a Viewliner Sleeping car with oversized windows.

I have come to the conclusion that the Cardinal is best westbound - and at the beginning of a journey, since you don't transfer from a Superliner train. Just too much of a let down to step off a Sightseer, etc... and into the small Cardinal consist.. However, the food was really good (The flat iron was excellent, as well as the garden salad at lunch, and the Continental Breakfast), but the dinning car is kind of lacking. Not too many of the tables line up with windows. I think they could gut the car and start over, and do better. Could use a real dinning car... But the food was not the issue. The meals were fine, just the small dinning area has only a few seats with good views.

Last edited by a moderator:
Food on cardinal is simply microwaved. Awful food.
We just went through this on another topic regarding the Cardinal. The food is NOT microwaved!

Most of the food is heated in a convection oven, while some things are put into a steam table. About half of the food, maybe even a bit more, on a regular LD train with a dining car gets the very same treatment. Only some of the food is cooked fresh on the grill or in an oven.

DutchBoy, you'll have a wonderful time, I loved my trip on the cardinal. The scenery from Charlottesville onwards is great (it's less exciting at first if you've boarded from DC as I did).

I usually have the steak on the LD trains but since it was the Cardinal went wild and had the chicken... I thought it was very tasty (aside- is it the same as the chicken on the other LD trains?). And the train was well stocked with Haagen Daaz icecream as usual so all good where I was :) Plus while I've met some great people on all my trips, my dining companion on the Cardinal was the only person I've swapped contact details with, she was a lovely lady and we got along great. Must dig those out and say hi.

On my trip we made a short smoke break at, I think, Ashland. I was already dressed for bed but my car attendant had seen how keen I was to get off at each stop and so I took the opportunity to say I'd been to Kentucky (which, growing up as a kid in Australian wasn't exactly a place I ever imagined visiting) and it really amuses me that my 5 minute visit was in my PJs (I threw on a hoodie and sneakers). Luckily it was dark :)

Hi All

Just popped in to tell you all we had a great trip, Too bad the sun sets in the evening but at least we saw the best part of the new river gorge during day light.

Amtrak travel is great, sit back, relax, and see the world pass by your window. Our coach seats had tons of leg room and after seeing the roomettes I certainly am happy we did not get one.

Because we knew some people in first class we could eat in the dining car. This was a first time, and a nice experience, but after having dinner and breakfast in the dining car my verdict is:

BRING YOUR OWN FOOD

:)

But for everything else I can just give a BIG thumbs up, I will defintaley travel Amtrak again (heard that the rout from CA to CHI is also very impressive)

I have uploaded some images online and will keep them online for about a week:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mgyhvh5a5h2bf0b/LUwEROQPrG

Enjoy !

Hi All

Just popped in to tell you all we had a great trip, Too bad the sun sets in the evening but at least we saw the best part of the new river gorge during day light.

Amtrak travel is great, sit back, relax, and see the world pass by your window. Our coach seats had tons of leg room and after seeing the roomettes I certainly am happy we did not get one.

Because we knew some people in first class we could eat in the dining car. This was a first time, and a nice experience, but after having dinner and breakfast in the dining car my verdict is:

BRING YOUR OWN FOOD

:)

But for everything else I can just give a BIG thumbs up, I will defintaley travel Amtrak again (heard that the rout from CA to CHI is also very impressive)

I have uploaded some images online and will keep them online for about a week:

https://www.dropbox....bf0b/LUwEROQPrG

Enjoy !

Thanks for the cool pics.

Any idea why Amtrak promotes the Cardinal like this ?

200152153.jpg

Why do they skip the leg from NYC to DC ?

Any idea why Amtrak promotes the Cardinal like this ?

Why do they skip the leg from NYC to DC ?
They probably never bothered to update the design. Although it has been, what, close to 10? years since the Cardinal switched to single level and was extended to NYP. On the other hand, the Amtrak on-line store shows zero for # the Cardinal pins in stock. Maybe the store was clearing out inventory of 10 year old pins?

I was given a Cardinal Pin when I rode in the dome car a couple of

years ago. The pin had a red cardinal bird with the word Cardinal

and was a rectangular shape.

There is a tunnel about 20 minutes West of Charlottesville as you cross the Blue Ridge Mtns.
Is that the Swananoa Tunnel, of rr fame? Take along maps, even road maps help. National Forest maps are great, as much of the route is through them.

It's a beautiful trip, any time of year, I think much prettier than #30.

I hope you enjoy the trip. Send us a report!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back