Cardinal consist and dining?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessie Hokie

Train Attendant
Does anyone know the current consist on the Cardinal? I'm particularly curious as to the lounge, cafe and dining car amenities. I know the sightseer lounge was dropped several years ago due to equipment shortages, but I don't recall what, if anything, replaced it. Is there still a dining car on the Cardinal or is it now something less? What level of food service is available...regular dining car and cafe/lounge? Thanks...

Does anyone know the current consist on the Cardinal? I'm particularly curious as to the lounge, cafe and dining car amenities. I know the sightseer lounge was dropped several years ago due to equipment shortages, but I don't recall what, if anything, replaced it. Is there still a dining car on the Cardinal or is it now something less? What level of food service is available...regular dining car and cafe/lounge? Thanks...
The Cardinal currently runs with the following consist:

P42

3 coaches

Diner/Lounge

Viewliner Sleeper

-Rafi

Services on the Cardinal®

® Coaches: Reservations required.

Sleeping cars: Viewliner sleeping accommodations.

- Amtrak’s Metropolitan Lounge/ClubAcela available

in Chicago, Wash ing ton, Philadelphia and

New York for Sleeping car Service passengers.

Dining: Casual service offering complete meals

and appetizers, sandwiches, snacks and beverages

with an all day menu.

No checked baggage!

The Cardinal is the most abysmal of Amtraks overnight trains, at least in its consist department.

You get:

1 P42DC Genesis Locomotive,

3 Coach cars, often a mix of Horizon LD and Amfleet IIs.

1 Amfleet II Diner-Lite/Lounge car,

1 Viewliner Dorm/Sleeper- several rooms are taken for crew accommodations.

The Diner-Lite/Lounge offers two sides, one side is a lounge/cafe car, and the other side is a very limited dining service car, offering convection-oven heated meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back