Cardinal Coming or Going

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CNW

Service Attendant
Home from New Orleans and planning my next trip. Joining my brother and wife in NYC via KCY last week of May. I have long wanted to ride the Cardinal but it seems that the roomettes are usually sold out plus I would stay an extra night in CHI so as not to be bustituted from GBB as I have seen happen several times on the SWC. I am considering taking it BACK from NYP but wondering if the scenery is as spectacular due to night time hours. Does anyone have an opinion? My other option would be the Capitol Limited to WAS and then the Northeast Regional or the Acela. I see the Regional connects well time wise but didn't see the Acela as an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the Cardinal Westbound at the end of April and ran out of daylight in the gorge. You'll have a little more daylight in May though, so you'll be in better shape. Plus, the run through central Virginia is quite nice and all in daylight headed eastbound.

As far as connections to Acela, no LD train connects with any Acela by design. Guaranteed connections are all made on the Regionals.

I have taken the Cardinal 3 times, but all eastbound. (This October will be #4, also eastbound.) The New River Gorge is reached in (semi) early morning (8 AM or so) eastbound but may be reached in darkness westbound - especially if the Cardinal is late!
sad.gif
The remaining views eastbound are quite scenic too.

I have connected off the EB and CZ with no problems. However, as you know, it can always change!
ohmy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back