Car rental at Denver US?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul CHI

Service Attendant
Is there a car rental counter there? Or an Enterprise outlet nearby?

OK, I found Hertz and Avis on the Amtrak site. Ripoff prices, though - $135-200 per DAY.

Don't know the scene now, but I once rented from a Hertz location about a half mile away. Their prices were normal, and they pick you up (actually, they were so busy, they couldn't so they reimbursed my cab fare.)

You're probably hitting a particularly busy day -- are you going during a giant convention or something? Look at the Welton St. Hertz location (they'll pick you up from the train station, or you can take the light rail or the bus). I'm seeing numbers from $88/day and up.

(Or maybe it's the taxes. $88 becomes $114 after taxes; apparently Denver gouges rental car users..)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have a Avis discount, but if you choose a weekend (when prices are generally lower) 4 day rental in mid October from the downtown location, I get a total of $144 including taxes. It was a 5 min, if that, cab ride. On the last trip it worked out for us because the CZ was early and we were able to get there before the 6pm closing. Of course if you're on the westbound train, no problem in the morning. Generally most rental companies have discount offers if you keep your eyes open. Sometimes it's in conjunction with a hotel chain, airline, or hotel booking companies like hotels.com or priceline. On the return, they dropped us off at the station.

I was thinking of going and priced rentals. It wasn't too bad, but your prices will depend a lot on your dates. I did notice that if I added one day to the rental, the price went way down for those particular days. Wondering what would happen if I reserved and returned early.

The airport might have better rates. Also might be better if you're on the CZ going eastbound, which arrives after most of the rental places close.

Hertz at 1701 Wynkoop will pick you up at the Amtrak station--when you make a reservation, they instruct you to call the local office when you arrive. I recently made a three-day weekend reservation with them for less than $35/day (less than $30 if you apply a discount like AAA).

They're open at 7Am 7 days a week--fine for meeting a westbound CZ even if it's on time. As BCL notes, though, they're closed at arrival time for eastbound CZ.

Enterprise at 2200 Broadway is about a 4 block walk from denver amtrak. Great rates on fall/winter/spring weekend rentals -- 3 days for $39 total price (plus you return gas tank to same level as received)

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Avis doesn't rent Mercedes, though, do they?
Avis has their "Signature Series" at limited locations. I don't think downtown Denver, but definitely at the airport. No Mercedes, but they have Lincolns, an Infiniti, and 3 BMW models. A BMW 3 series for 5 days priced at $750 around Labor Day.

If I'm gonna pay that much, I want an safe car, not a BMW, a gussied up Ford I can rent for less, or worse, a Japanese car.

If I'm gonna pay that much, I want an safe car, not a BMW, a gussied up Ford I can rent for less, or worse, a Japanese car.
I agree with the overated Bimmer and gussied up Ford comments, but Lexus (Toyota)makes some sweet vehicles, they've surpassed MB, and in the old days Cadillac,as the Standard of the World for Luxury Vehicles! ( over priced Limos like Rolls etc don't count!)!

Thanks for the info. Did some checking on the CZ and it's been running up to 4 hrs late into Denver and Chicago, which would have totally messed up my plans at both ends. Flying SWA instead. I'm sure I'm not the only one finding Amtrak's recent performance unacceptable.

I agree with the overated Bimmer and gussied up Ford comments, but Lexus (Toyota)makes some sweet vehicles, they've surpassed MB, and in the old days Cadillac,as the Standard of the World for Luxury Vehicles! ( over priced Limos like Rolls etc don't count!)!
They make some decent luxury vehicles, sure. But they are not safe. With the exceptions of Nissan, which is actually Renault and therefore French, none of the Japanese cars are.

Is buy a Mercedes first, or if I didn't have a choice, a Volvo.

My experience in all Amtrak LD trains in the west over the past two decades is that if your arrival window is tight and you can't tolerate a 4-hr delay, then traveling by plane or driving yourself is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Speaking of being picky about what car to rent, I got spoiled. Now I don't want to rent anything but a Tesla. :) Unfortunately, they're not available for rental outside California, at any price.

Tesla is the "Hot" car of the moment no doubt, but considering what they cost to buy or rent, if you prefer electric ot hybrid vehicles there are a lot of choices @ better prices!

Interesting, considering that Teslas cant be Sold or Leaded in Texas,that Tesla is playing off Texas vs California ( and several other states)for the Location of their new battery plant/research center! And the Owner/Genius behind Tesla just announced that Texas was going to be the location of the new Private Spaceport to be located on the Texas-Mexico Border!

There are other options at CHEAPER prices, not better ones. The Tesla Model S is the best automobile on sale today, with the possible exception of the ZIL 41047. In addition to the Tesla Model S being the best mass produced car on sale today, it also happens to be electric.

The Tesla Model S competes with the BMW 7-series, the Audi A8, the Mercedes S-Class, the Maserati Quattroporte and Ghibli, the Kia K900, the Hyundai Equus, and the Jaguar XJ. It is also priced against the Lexus LS460 which it (and it's various competitors) obliterates. Compared to those cars, which it compares with, usually favorably or nearly equally, in luxury, build quality, roominess, handling, performance, and prestige, it is priced very well, generally cheaper than all but the Koreans.

Your comment, Jim, is like saying the Honda Civic (the car that stole most overpriced economy car from Volkswagen) has a better price than a Kia K900 (a car that offers almost every thing you can get in an $85k BMW 750Li for $30k less).

Actually, I looked for rentals of other all-electric models (Nissan Leaf etc.) but they're also generally not available outside California at any price.

California is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back