Capitol Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James

Hi All,

I will be taking my 2 boys on the Capital Limited from Harpers Ferry to Chicago (and back) in a couple weeks. We will have a Sleeper car.

I want my boys to take full advantage of the entire trip on the train. Any suggestions on board the train that we should or should not do? Any events on he train that they do for kids. They can't wait ( me too) and they are looking forward to dinner in the diner car the most! Thanks for the help!!!

First question is how old are they? Certainly the history of Harper's Ferry and some of the other points in that area are worthy discussions in the lounge if it is available. I'm not sure what its season is Depending on where you hale from, it can be interesting to tie the history and culture of one area to your own. I've always surprised people showing them John Brown's family farm behind the ski jumps in Lake Placid.. May to September, they get Trails and Rails speakers a few days a week, but that's done for the season. Again age dependent, a tablet or laptop loaded with games and movies may be appropriate. Relax,sit back and enjoy......

Last edited by a moderator:
My 12 year old granddaughter spend most of the time in the lounge car. She brings activity books.

They are 8 and 11. We love next to Harpers Ferry and love that area. Just don't want to miss anything worthwhile on the train

Make sure to check out the lounge car, which has floor to ceiling windows (the ceiling isn't a window though) and has a cafe on the lower level. Has nice seats to look at the scenery.

I've heard rumors of the CL now having microwaved food? Will someone please confirm that? The menu online suggests otherwise.

Otherwise, it'll be dark past 6:15 (5:15 if you're traveling past November 6) so any scenery past Martinsburg WV won't be easily visible westbound, but will be going back east (#30 departs Connellsville PA at 6:59am).

Google Earth says that there might be some river viewing opportunities east of Pittsburgh through to Martinsburg, so that would be recommended.

Indiana and Illinois, won't be, I think, that exciting, unless you're specifically into Chicago suburb viewing.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

You'll be able to glimpse Lake Michigan around the Indiana-Illinois (well, Indiana-Chicago line, you'll cross directly in to Chicago) state line and ride next to the Chicago Skyway (massive elevated highway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back