Capitol Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ray828

Train Attendant
Hi, I will be traveling on the Capitol Limited train number 30 in the coming weeks to Pittsburgh. I am also in a sleeper so I know that meals are included with my ticket but does Amtrak actually start serving breakfast before the arrival into Pittsburgh assuming the train is on time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I will be traveling on the Capitol Limited train number 30 in the coming weeks to Pittsburgh. I am also in a sleeper so I know that meals are included with my ticket but does Amtrak actually start serving breakfast before the arrival into Pittsburgh assuming the train is on time?

If my memory is correct, #30 arrives in Pittsburgh at around 5:30 AM. They don't start serving breakfast until 6:30 usually. However, I would say 6:00 at the earliest, so you'll miss breakfast. When I last took #30 to Pittsburgh, we were running 45-60 minutes late and the attendant was nice enough to make me a doggie bag of assorted stuff that I could take with me on the Pennsy. If you have a nice attendant, they may be willing to do this. However, I don't even know if they would have access to the breakfast items--boxed serial, bagels, yogurt, etc. at 5:30 AM. I would certainly not be afraid to ask, but obviously don't expect anything but continental style.

I agree with diestledorf. Unless #30 is running very late (like 2-3 hours), I would not expect to get breakfast. You may get a pleasant surprise from your attendant if you ask him or her - but I would not expect it.

That pittsburgh turn is a pain in the tuchus. I'd not go with sleeper for it, to be honest. By the time you are done eating dinner, and have a shower, its like 10, and if you like having a drink after dinner (I sure do), you are going to sleep about midnight. And with the midnight-going-to-sleep, the last time I did this, the train ran into PGH early- like 40 minutes early- so I must have gotten three hours sleep. If I had known this would be the case, I would have stayed up in the lounge car chatting with a girl I had been chatting with (she was getting off in Alliance, so she had even less reason to try to get some sleep), not bothered paying the money for the sleeper, and been happier in general.

The interesting stuff on the Pennsy isn't until later on the route, so a business class seat and sleep on that thing makes more sense then the sleeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back