Capitol Limited Track Conditions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackpup

Service Attendant
Can anyone tell me how are the tracks taking the 30 from CHI to WAS. Are they smooth all the way, or are there bumping patches (like hold on to your hat bumpy). Same with the 97 WAS to WPK. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me how are the tracks taking the 30 from CHI to WAS. Are they smooth all the way, or are there bumping patches (like hold on to your hat bumpy). Same with the 97 WAS to WPK. Thanks.
Kind of a relative question, depends on who you ask. Are you afraid of losing your hat? Why don't you ride the trains and report back about "your " experience? Actually, I have never been on trains on these tracks, so I am of no help to you, sorry.P.S. I just realized that you are taking a trip on these two routes, so let us know how it goes!

Last edited by a moderator:
In July of 2015 on the CL (can't remember if it was 29 or 30) I recall waking up in the middle of the night on some pretty rock-n-roll track!

Better or worse than other routes? Not sure.

I rode Capitol Limited both directions in October 2016 and did not notice much difference in the ride either directions or from DC to Chicago. So I say smooth enough. You should understand I love riding the trains to tend not to pay much attention to the "quality" of the ride. I've ridden the CONO from endpoint to endpoint and the SWC in Kansas and New Mexico over supposedly rough tracks and slept through with no problem.

Something to consider: Let's pretend you're riding a train --- any train --- from Flummoxvile to a family reunion at Dingbat City, fifty miles away. The line is double track. Your sister rode that line yesterday and had a horrible ride. Yesterday the dispatcher ran your sister's train over Track 1, and there were numerous delays, starts & stops, etc. They even ran her train over some secondary yard tracks for a mile or so at the little town of Kumquat. You are riding the same route today and it's smooth as silk. At the family reunion, you and your sister compare notes and are mystified.

Besides the obvious starts & stops & the detour over yard tracks, there is the fact that Track 1 hasn't had much serious maintenance in a long time. You rode on Track 2, which was the subject of a major maintenance project completed just 3 months ago.

Rail distance between Chicago and Sanford is something in the neighborhood of 1600 miles. You'l encounter some rough track that is coming near its time for maintenance, and you'll encounter some that has recently had attention.

Make sense?

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode Capitol Limited both directions in October 2016 and did not notice much difference in the ride either directions or from DC to Chicago. So I say smooth enough.
Based on my trip on the Capitol Limited from Martinsburg to Chicago in September 2016, I agree with Tennessee Traveler's assessment. I am a light sleeper, any severe rocking or loud banging noises like those caused by riding thru a rough turnout will awaken me. I was in the upper berth of a Bedroom, and slept without waking from Connellsville to Elkhart.

I have traveled on both trains. Makes total sense as stated above you can have a smooth ride or a bit bumpy. Myself I rarely notice anything on those routes except a jolt on a switch once in a while. Driving in my car on I-95 has more bumps most of the time.

Back in the late 70's I noticed that the ride between Chicago and Rantoul was different depending on direction of teavel. At that time the line was double tracked. I forgot which direction was smoother but I remember my grandfather explaining track maintenance and roadbed to me. I was the only 5th grader discussing roadbed and ride quality

With my teacher during recess on Monday. From the look I got it was too much information. Lol

I travel on the Silver Meteor quite often and have not encountered extremely rough tracks.

For the Sliver route, typically the general track condition is pretty reasonable. Exceptions are:

1. Some interlockings can get pretty rough, specially during the Spring thaw up north. This is even more so if one is actually crossing over (taking the diverging track rather than the straight).

2. There are some double track segments where one of the tracks is still jointed rail. If you are unfortunate enough to get routed on the jointed rail track then things can be a bit rough.

But in general losing your hat kind of rough is pretty unusual, even on the lesser maintained segments of the Silver Star inland route.

Back