Capitol Limited & Lake Shore Limited Delays Summer/Fall 2014

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding all the delays on the Cap and LSL....I'll make another post in the Status Maps Archive Database topic ( http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/61058-amtrak-status-maps-archives-searchable-database ) but I updated my source data from John's archived status maps and now you can see all Service Disruptions and Cancellations for all trains and all dates. I think "afigg" commented on that lack of functionality and I wanted to fix it.

For example, here is a list of train 30's Service Disruptions since July 1, 2014 (6 instances, and 1 instance of Cancellations en route):

http://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/history_file.php?date_start=7%2F1%2F2014&date_end=9%2F30%2F2014&train_num=30&sort=origin_date&sort_dir=DESC&sd=1&c=-1

Regarding the long delays, here is the history for #30 arriving into WAS since Sept 1, 2014. Not too good, with many delays more than a couple of hours long:

http://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/history.php?train_num=30&station=was&date_start=9%2F1%2F2014&date_end=9%2F30%2F2014&sort=schAr&sort_dir=DESC&limit=&co=gt&limit_mins=

Final example - a way to search for missed connections. It's a new feature I added to the database after Ryan mentioned it was hard to line up columns and compare trains using cut & paste. This link shows you Train #30 arriving into WAS and connecting with Train #91 (the southbound Silver Star). More than a dozen missed connections:

http://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/connections.php?date_start=9%2F1%2F2014&date_end=9%2F30%2F2014&a_train_num=30&c_train_num=91&station=was&sort_dir=DESC

You can take those links and play around with the train numbers, stations, dates, etc. I think it's all working correctly but if not please let me know and if there are other searches you would like to make. The data updates once per day in the early morning hours for the previous day's trains.

Chris J.

29 lost 3 hours between SOB and CHI, trashing the whole run to 6 hours late, and most likely putting tonite's 30 in major delay territory as well. What. A. Mess. Chicago yard needs to keep another CL trainset.
Both the CL #29 and LSL #49 encountered problems between the SOB and CHI stops, adding over 3 hours in further delay. I checked the Amtrak tracker several times in the early afternoon and both trains were sitting for a long time at 0 mph NE of Rolling Pairie, IN. This is a 2 track line (easily verified on Google Earth). Long delays from SOB to CHI happened to the westbound LSL and CL on Saturday as well. But the late at night eastbound CL and LSL runs did not encounter long delays getting to SOB. Could there be a daytime track work blitz that is single tracking the line somewhere between Porter and Rolling Pairie, IN? Or is it just an overloaded system with a backlog of freight trains?

As for another CL trainset, Amtrak added a 6th trainset to accommodate the EB delays which draws down the available Superliner equipment pool. For today, the SWC #4 is almost 6 hours late enroute to CHI, so a late CL departure might at least allow for connections.

Regarding all the delays on the Cap and LSL....I'll make another post in the Status Maps Archive Database topic ( http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/61058-amtrak-status-maps-archives-searchable-database ) but I updated my source data from John's archived status maps and now you can see all Service Disruptions and Cancellations for all trains and all dates. I think "afigg" commented on that lack of functionality and I wanted to fix it.

For example, here is a list of train 30's Service Disruptions since July 1, 2014 (6 instances, and 1 instance of Cancellations en route):

http://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/history_file.php?date_start=7%2F1%2F2014&date_end=9%2F30%2F2014&train_num=30&sort=origin_date&sort_dir=DESC&sd=1&c=-1

Regarding the long delays, here is the history for #30 arriving into WAS since Sept 1, 2014. Not too good, with many delays more than a couple of hours long:

http://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/history.php?train_num=30&station=was&date_start=9%2F1%2F2014&date_end=9%2F30%2F2014&sort=schAr&sort_dir=DESC&limit=&co=gt&limit_mins=

Final example - a way to search for missed connections. It's a new feature I added to the database after Ryan mentioned it was hard to line up columns and compare trains using cut & paste. This link shows you Train #30 arriving into WAS and connecting with Train #91 (the southbound Silver Star). More than a dozen missed connections:

http://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/connections.php?date_start=9%2F1%2F2014&date_end=9%2F30%2F2014&a_train_num=30&c_train_num=91&station=was&sort_dir=DESC

You can take those links and play around with the train numbers, stations, dates, etc. I think it's all working correctly but if not please let me know and if there are other searches you would like to make. The data updates once per day in the early morning hours for the previous day's trains.

Chris J.
Thank you. Very helpful. I've been tracking "my" trains on "my" days for Sept in anticipation of my upcoming trip. This gives me a broader view. Luckily, most of my connections were made even though the incoming train was late. :)

if anyone is upset about NS delays on these trains, please tweet your thoughts to @nscorp so that they may be heard!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like both #29 and #49 have hit the NS "brick wall" again this AM after they left SOB. Both are just crawling along now (with the LSL literally right behind the CL). I also see the other Amtrak trains in the vicinity are also going very slow as well. Clearly there is a major failure by NS to get ALL trains moving thru this choke point in a decent amount of time. Is anyone aware of any significant track work that would cause this mess to continue as it has done now for months (and appears to be getting consistently worse)??

Looks like both #29 and #49 have hit the NS "brick wall" again this AM after they left SOB. Both are just crawling along now (with the LSL literally right behind the CL). I also see the other Amtrak trains in the vicinity are also going very slow as well. Clearly there is a major failure by NS to get ALL trains moving thru this choke point in a decent amount of time. Is anyone aware of any significant track work that would cause this mess to continue as it has done now for months (and appears to be getting consistently worse)??
Yep, all four are at a standstill right now (11:56 AM ET).

Arrrrrgh. There must be something going on in that short stretch of trackage that is causing this mess almost every day. Mindboggling. Doesn't sound like a "one off" situation to me, since these very long delays occur now almost every day and add 3 or more hours to each one of these train's transit times. Oh, so close, yet soooooo far away.

I have reservations on the LSL back from western NY next month and plan on connecting with the EB in CHI, as I have done many times in the past with no concerns, but now I am considering other options, since I don't want to add an entire additional day of travel to a long trip. If this mess doesn't clear up soon I think I will just fly (about a 90 minute flight) from NY into ORD, as much as I love the train, the reliability of these LD connections is so bad now it is hard to do a long transcontinental trip.

:-((

Interesting Footnote: Amtrak shows #29 arriving well over 4 hours behind schedule (just before 1 PM CDT) but is still showing #49 to arrive around 2 hours late (Around 11:45 CDT), even though #49 is behind #29. Both have sat in the same spot, just east of SOB now for well over an hour, not going anywhere.

Bummer.

And 48 has a service disruption in Cleveland.

I'll be on 49 this weekend and am not sweating it too much since my connecting train does not leave till 3:00 and it appears that they've held 3 more often than not when 49 arrived close to 3:00.

And 48 has a service disruption in Cleveland.

I'll be on 49 this weekend and am not sweating it too much since my connecting train does not leave till 3:00 and it appears that they've held 3 more often than not when 49 arrived close to 3:00.
Good luck!

I went back over a year looking at the 49/3 connection using that judkins website (thanks to the site owner for all the work!), and it does appear as though they hold 3 if its within half an hour, making me feel a little better for when I need to make the same connection in a couple months.

I don't think the Empire Builder connections fair as well though, since the EB's leave at 2:15 PM. :-(

I guess it is NS's turn in the bucket for not providing decent service to Amtrak now. If things don't improve dramatically I don't see any other option for me, but to cancel my NY to CHI train segment and to fly into ORD instead. I just looked at the airfares and I will actually save about $200 by flying--crazy!

Both the CL and LSL are moving very slowly now towards CHI. Amtrak has finally provided realistic arrival times--over 5 hours late for the CL and over 4 1/2 hours late for the LSL.

Is there any info about Amtrak Bussing from Toledo to CHI or PGH to WAS for those folks making connections? Bound to be a lot this time of year and with a Secular Holiday as approaching as well as the High Holy Days!

And if not, are they holding the Western LD Trains ie, #21,#3,#5,#7 for #29 and #49 arrival???

If not it must be costing a bundle to put people up on Amtrak's Dime and also most of the LD Trains seem to be SOLD OUT or out of Sleepers so rebooking must be a mess!

I was on hold with AGR ( I'm Select) for 30 minutes when I called ( usual call wait on the Hot Line is about 2 mins) and the helpful Agent told me its hectic and a Real Mess, bet Amtrak Agents have it even worse!

Is there any info about Amtrak Bussing from Toledo to CHI or PGH to WAS for those folks making connections?
Unfortunately, the worse of delays westbound is after Toledo, so they're not going to know how bad it's going to be when they get to Toledo. Maybe they should, if they don't already, bus the early connections. I think the 49 to 3 connection is still somewhat safe.

Worse case for me would be having to ride the party train to EMY :help: :p

Actually, the worse case is I won't have that extra day to spend with my daughter and grandson.

I am keeping positive thoughts for my train and for the others.

Is there any info about Amtrak Bussing from Toledo to CHI or PGH to WAS for those folks making connections?
Unfortunately, the worse of delays westbound is after Toledo, so they're not going to know how bad it's going to be when they get to Toledo. Maybe they should, if they don't already, bus the early connections. I think the 49 to 3 connection is still somewhat safe.

Actually, the worse case is I won't have that extra day to spend with my daughter and grandson.

It wouldn't likely be "safe" today, as both #29 and #49 are still stuck outside elf CHI, going nowhere now, and the earliest they are going to arrive is likely well after 3 PM.

I just wonder why Amtrak is not putting something out to people on this mess, since it is getting worse rather than better. If this is an example of :just heavy freight congestion" I don't think there is any magic bullet that is going to make this go away anytime in the near future, is there???

29 still 0mph. Unless Amtrak gets another trainset, tonight's 30 is going to rack up another 10 hour+ delay.

I don't think #48 going out tonight is going to fare much better, since it looks like both #29 and #49 will be arriving in CHI between 5-7 hours late and their turnarounds this evening will almost surely be effected by these lengthy delays. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't most of the trackage on this "problem" segment double tracked?

It wouldn't likely be "safe" today, as both #29 and #49 are still stuck outside elf CHI, going nowhere now, and the earliest they are going to arrive is likely well after 3 PM.

I just wonder why Amtrak is not putting something out to people on this mess, since it is getting worse rather than better. If this is an example of :just heavy freight congestion" I don't think there is any magic bullet that is going to make this go away anytime in the near future, is there???
Yeah, I saw where they stopped again. :angry: :help:

If I hadn't already done the Cardinal last year, I would be looking to switch to it (I'm using AGR from TOL onward and would just switch it to CIN onward ... if there's a roomette available) but I really want to do the Hudson Valley (and it looks like the trees are starting to turn up that way :) ).

amtrak.com estimating 7 hour late arrival for 29. I'm going to predict the total delay for tonight's 30 to WAS will be 10 hours.

I wish the Cardinal were an option, but the two days I could possibly begin my trip are two days in which it does not run.

I hate that I am considering a flight to Chicago to kick off the trip now instead of 49. I'm not worried about 48's lateness as there is no connection involved.

After a very pleasant roundtrip aboard the AutoTrain with my famliy in June, I was looking for an opportunity to do a long distance train for business. Finally, I had an opportunity to schedule a bunch of work in Chicago, beginning with a 1:30p meeting on a Tuesday. So, I booked a bedroom on the CL departing Monday 10/6 and began looking forward to the trip. What could go wrong? I was more than prepared for the kidding from my staff about not flying this time. But if I show up late for a 1:30p meeting because my train, which was due in at 8:45a, ran more than four hours late, which appears more and more likely, I'm not going to be happy. And although I'll continue to pound the rails up and down the NEC as needed, I will be avoiding the long distance services in the future. And I agree with a previous poster: It is ridiculous that there is no note about possible/likely service disruptions for the CL/LSL on the Amtrak website.

Now looks like Both #29 and #49 will be in excess of 6 hours late, and perhaps as much as 7 hours behind--amazing. They literally sat, just a few miles from CHI ALL morning long and went almost nowhere. Both moving at a snail's pace and still perhaps an hour away from Union Station. Stunning collapse of this service.

I am not trying to be a know it all genius, but would a possible alternate route be via the former B&O route that served the Three Rivers until several years ago? Probably all kinds of complications, but the present situation is not acceptable.

From reports I have seen elsewhere CSX is not faring much better than NS in their flow into Chicago either. We don;t hear about it as much because there is no passenger train on the old B&O line operated by CSX.

Sounds like this is not something that will be resolved ANY time in the near future. I am going to alter my travel plans. I just cannot miss my EB connection on the 31st. Given the track record of the LSL the odds would appear to be against anyone trying to make that connection with just about any of the westbound trains now. I hate to give my travel dollars to the airlines, but not any other choice left sadly.

:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back