Capitol Limited - current consist?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That third sleeper might be the Trans Sleeper used when they use a baggage car.
The 3 sleepers were on the end so likely the extra sleeper was not the trans sleeper. Lately the CL has taken a few different configurations. A few days ago there was a single locomotive and a VL II baggage car but following it were the two coaches, diner, SL and two sleepers. I try to catch 30 in the evenings on the Chesterton rail camera. If its on time usually runs by between 8:28-8:30 EST.

#30 on 1/30 had one locomotive, coach, coach, SL, Diner and 3 sleepers.
You're sure it was train 30? According to what I have access to, it shows a P42, coach, bag/coach, SSL, diner, 2 (full) sleepers. It shows that for departures from 1/29-1/31 on train 30, and the same for train 29 on the same dates. I didn't go further back than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on #30 departing CHI on 1/31. It had a single engine, two coaches, presumably one a coach-bag, SSL, CCC serving as diner and cafe, with two sleepers on the rear.

I'm grateful to the AUer(s) who alerted me to the fact that the sleepers were moved to the back. I called Amtrak to double check. At first they tried to bamboozle me by saying no one knows that until the train is made up at the station (as if we were talking bedrooms fore or aft, or where the BC/Cafe car is located on Illinois trains). When I persisted, they did check and confirmed they were on the rear. I immediately rebooked to the CL from the LSL with its overnight in NY, and had a very pleasant trip.

You're sure it was train 30? According to what I have access to, it shows a P42, coach, bag/coach, SSL, diner, 2 (full) sleepers. It shows that for departures from 1/29-1/31 on train 30, and the same for train 29 on the same dates. I didn't go further back than that.
Now I'm questioning my eyes given your pure data. Would a deadheading sleeper show on whatever report you saw? It was definitely 30 I saw on the rail cam.

Now I'm questioning my eyes given your pure data. Would a deadheading sleeper show on whatever report you saw? It was definitely 30 I saw on the rail cam.
Deadhead cars should show, even specials/charters show.

Deadhead cars should show, even specials/charters show.
Thanks, good information. You are a solid contributor to this forum.

I was on #30 departing CHI on 1/31. It had a single engine, two coaches, presumably one a coach-bag, SSL, CCC serving as diner and cafe, with two sleepers on the rear.

I'm grateful to the AUer(s) who alerted me to the fact that the sleepers were moved to the back. I called Amtrak to double check. At first they tried to bamboozle me by saying no one knows that until the train is made up at the station (as if we were talking bedrooms fore or aft, or where the BC/Cafe car is located on Illinois trains). When I persisted, they did check and confirmed they were on the rear. I immediately rebooked to the CL from the LSL with its overnight in NY, and had a very pleasant trip.
Good to hear, I'll be on 30 later this month. I wasn't so much worried about the train horn as I was the diesel fumes from the locomotive. A few years ago I was on 30 that had a regular sleeper subbing for the transdorm. The fumes were rather obnoxious.

Back