Capitol Limited - Cheap things to do on route?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RCrierie

Train Attendant
I'm looking into riding the Capitol Limited from Washington (WAS) to Cumberland, MD (CUM) and staying there for the weekend to wander the local city and photograph stuff; and ride the WMSR.

I'd like to keep my expenditures as small as possible; but it seems that pretty much all of the hotels within walking distance of Amtrak train stations tend to be very upscale-ish; like the Holiday Inn next to the tracks -- despite being in a low cost of living area, it's still $110~ a night there.

Even renting a car to go to hotels out of the city center is a crapshoot -- at Cumberland, the local Hertz closes at 6 PM on the weekdays, 12 PM on Saturday, and is closed on Sundays.

Given that the Capitol rolls into Cumberland officially at 7:14 PM, there's not a lot of time to get off the train and hoof it to the Hertz.

Also, given that the Capitol stops at 9:01 AM officially at Cumberland enroute to WASH...it makes a single night stay impossible...

Effectively, it's much cheaper for me to drive and pay $20 in gasoline for a day trip to Cumberland, since I can get up early in the morning at 6AM, arrive at 8:14AM, spend the day there; and then drive home at around 7PM, arriving home at 9PM.

Which is a shame, since I really, really, really want to ride a Superliner.

So are there any other good options for Capitol Limited Stops? Yes, I have looked into Pittsburgh, but the train rolls in at 11:48PM officially there, and city center hotels are even more expensive!

Hertz at CUM is at a gas station, so picking up or dropping off a car outside of the advertised Hertz hours may not be a problem as long as the station itself is open. Call ahead to make sure, but they would probably have the paperwork and the car ready to go when you arrive, if they know you're on the train.

Also check Hotwire if you are looking for a downtown hotel in Cumberland. You may be able to get a better deal on the Holiday Inn or Fairfield Inn if you prepay and don't care which of the two you get. Both are within reasonable walking distance of the station.

Given that the Capitol rolls into Cumberland officially at 7:14 PM, there's not a lot of time to get off the train and hoof it to the Hertz.

Also, given that the Capitol stops at 9:01 AM officially at Cumberland enroute to WASH...it makes a single night stay impossible...

Effectively, it's much cheaper for me to drive and pay $20 in gasoline for a day trip to Cumberland, since I can get up early in the morning at 6AM, arrive at 8:14AM, spend the day there; and then drive home at around 7PM, arriving home at 9PM.

So are there any other good options for Capitol Limited Stops? Yes, I have looked into Pittsburgh, but the train rolls in at 11:48PM officially there, and city center hotels are even more expensive!
The Greater Greater Washington website had a nice article on taking the CL from WAS to Harpers Ferry and back a few weeks ago. See http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/11840/car-free-family-trip-idea-harpers-ferry/. It is not long a ride to Harpers Ferry, so you don't spend much time on the CL. If I was going to either Cumberland or Harpers Ferry round trip from WAS, I would arrange to return on Friday or Saturday, so there is no risk of the CL being stopped at Pittsburgh because it was running too late. CSX is doing track work for the next year and if the CL does not get to Pittsburgh in time, it can't get pass the track work and has to stop there. Look up the CL service alert on the Amtrak website.

A bit facetious, but if you've never been on a Superliner and want a quick look-see, you can book DC - Rockville and return by Metro. You'll have the full experience of boarding at the origin station—from the lounge, if you have access—checking out the train prior to departure...and stepping off much too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back