Capital Limited - South Bend Stop

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bill Needles

How long on average will the Capital Limited spend in South Bend. We have family there and are wondering if it is worth having them say hello at the station as we pass through...Bill

The train is there less than 1-2 minutes - to off-load and load only. I don't think it would make much sense. South Bend is a staffed station and according to current security regulations, your family would not be allowed on the platform without tickets.

I would be very careful about that. When the timetable does not show a separate arrival time and departure time, then be very, very careful.....that means it only stays a minute or two!!

You would not dare want to stray from your car at such a stop except under the very explicit watchful eye of an attendant.

Plus, the time you spend locating each other, you could easily miss them anyway. They are not going to know where your car is on the train, you are not going to know exactly where they are standing, etc, etc.

No harm in them being there, to be sure, but do not expect much and be very, very careful.

The only places where the timetable shows a separate arrival time and departure time for your train are Harrisburg, Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Even at those stops, if the train arrives late, do not count on it to stay in the station the entire allotted time. Example, if a hypothetical stop is 20 minutes long and the train arrives late, perhaps it will get its business done quicker than usual and only stay about 15 minutes.

Just a minor clarification....the Harrisburg stop on the timetable is a connecting train to Philly.

Is South Bend a smoking stop? I don't think they're all indicated on the schedules, but people who ride the train often would know. If it was you'd have plenty of time.

Smoking stops are not indicated in the timetable or anywhere else, however as Bill Haithcoat has pointed out, if there is a substantial amount of time between the two times listed in the timetable (arrival and departure), you can assume this is a smoking stop. If only one time is listed, then it is a stop that is generally 1-2 minutes - just enough time to get a few people off and a few people on........no smoking.

I' veloaded/unleaded friends at South Bend recently, and yes, it's a "drop, load and go" operation. Not much time for greetings. A cellphone call to tell what car you're in might help a tiny bit.

However, I've never had problems with getting onto the platform, as it's a steep uphill climb and criminals are lazy. I've chatted with the crew beforehand, and even though they knew I wasn't a passenger, they never bothered me.

Back