Cap Limited Price Reduction FYI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it does appear that the trip I booked on the CL a couple months ago for August has dropped a bucket or two. I paid in Dollars for Roomettes. Is there a way to get a refund for the difference in price, or am I SOL? Complete newbie here.
Call and "change" your reservation to the current bucket. They most likely will refund the difference as a voucher, but it's entirely possible that you can get a cash refund.
Thank you! <3
Glad I could help and good luck.
default_smile.png
Almost $370 refund. I didn't take the voucher (almost $480) because it would expire before I had a chance to use it. I consider the 25% change fee to be a contribution to keep Amtrak that much closer to self-sustaining.

Now I just need to call tomorrow and get our old roomettes back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost $370 refund. I didn't take the voucher (almost $480) because it would expire before I had a chance to use it. I consider the 25% change fee to be a contribution to keep Amtrak that much closer to self-sustaining.

It sounds as if you followed the bad advice given in Post #13, which was to change your reservation and in the process ended up getting it cancelled.

Instead, when you called Amtrak, you should have followed the good advice given in Post #11 and had your existing reservation modified to the lower fare. However, you are fortunate if travelling from WAS to CHI in August because Roomettes on the Capitol Limited are currently at low bucket (US$172) for 26 of the 31 days and for all 31 days when going CHI to WAS. At least one Roomette is available during the 1 - 30 August period and hopefully however many more you need.

If, however, you changed your travel date on the CL then I think cancelling and re-booking is the only way to accomplish that type of change. Maybe.

Remember: take advantage of any fare decrease by modifying an existing reservation - don't even voice the word change or cancel. If the agent doesn't want to modify and insists on cancelling and re-booking, either ask for a supervisor or call back later.

It sounds as if you followed the bad advice given in Post #13, which was to change your reservation and in the process ended up getting it cancelled.
Instead, when you called Amtrak, you should have followed the good advice given in Post #11 and had your existing reservation modified to the lower fare. However, you are fortunate if travelling from WAS to CHI in August because Roomettes on the Capitol Limited are currently at low bucket (US$172) for 26 of 30 days and for all 30 days (of the AmSnag search) when going CHI to WAS.

If, however, you changed your travel date on the CL then I think cancelling and re-booking is the only way to accomplish that type of change. Maybe.
When modifying a reservation to a lower fare, the difference is generally refunded as a voucher. If youre modifying your reservation to ticket with a higher fare, there isnt any penalty. So I believe the 25% is correct, since the new itinerary is less expensive...

Well, it does appear that the trip I booked on the CL a couple months ago for August has dropped a bucket or two. I paid in Dollars for Roomettes. Is there a way to get a refund for the difference in price, or am I SOL? Complete newbie here.
Call and "change" your reservation to the current bucket. They most likely will refund the difference as a voucher, but it's entirely possible that you can get a cash refund.
Thank you! <3
Glad I could help and good luck.
default_smile.png

I'm still not getting this. I no longer work in this department but there was a CLEAR difference between REFUNDS and EXCHANGES. From the website:

Class of Service: Sleeper Accommodations

Refunds: Full refund if canceled within 24 hours of purchase. After 24 hours of purchase, 25% cancellation fee charged if canceled 15 or more days prior to departure. No refunds if less than 15 days prior to departure.

eVouchers Available: Full value, no fees if canceled within 24 hours of purchase. After 24 hours of purchase, 25% cancellation fee charged if canceled prior to departure.

No Change Fee

“No Show” Policy: If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin, the ticket is forfeited and no funds can be applied toward future travel.

You didn't ask for a refund because you didn't CANCEL you trip. You are STILL GOING. You merely exchanged your tickets within the same PNR! Call back, ask for a supervisor, tell them to grab a dictionary and advise them you didn't cancel.

It CLEARLY says NO CHANGE FEE!!!!!

Instead, when you called Amtrak, you should have followed the good advice given in Post #11 and had your existing reservation modified to the lower fare. However, you are fortunate if travelling from WAS to CHI in August because Roomettes on the Capitol Limited are currently at low bucket (US$172) for 26 of 30 days and for all 30 days (of the AmSnag search) when going CHI to WAS.

When modifying a reservation to a lower fare, the difference is generally refunded as a voucher. If youre modifying your reservation to ticket with a higher fare, there isnt any penalty. So I believe the 25% is correct, since the new itinerary is less expensive...
Please carefully re-read all of what AcrossTheOcean and I wrote. Then carefully re-read what you wrote in Post #11 which was precisely and to the letter:

Call and "change" your reservation to the current bucket.
Your advice was bad simply because she somehow ended up getting her reservation cancelled when you instructed her to CHANGE it instead of modify it. It was because her reservation was cancelled she wrote "Now I just need to call tomorrow and get our old roomettes back." If her reservation had NOT been cancelled there would be no need for her to call again to get the Roomettes back.

Have I made myself clear?

Please carefully re-read all of what AcrossTheOcean and I wrote. The carefully re-read what you wrote in Post #11 which was:
Call and "change" your reservation to the current bucket.
Your advice was bad simply because she somehow ended up getting her reservation cancelled when you instructed her to CHANGE it instead of modify it. It was because her reservation was cancelled she wrote "Now I just need to call tomorrow and get our old roomettes back." If her reservation had NOT been cancelled there would be no need to get the Roomettes back.
What is the difference between modifying and changing? I did not suggest cancelling so I don’t see how misled her...

What is the difference between modifying and changing? I did not suggest cancelling so I don’t see how misled her...
Apparently, the difference is almost $110 dollars!!!
default_mosking.gif

If she asked to change her existing reservation, they may have canceled and started another one. That would bring fees. I can't imagine why that would happen but there is that quote "about getting her old roomettes back." Initially, I took it as to mean when she exchanged for lower buckets, it gave her different room assignments and she wants her old rooms back.

It is entirely possible that the old reservation was erased completely but we'd need more details.

Hello AcrossTheOcean,

When you changed the reservation, do you currently have rooms in your reservation?

Had notice been taken of the implication of AcrossTheOcean's user name plus the fact hat her location was given as Germany, an astute poster might have considered there may be a native language difference. Those differences can often lead to a misunderstanding unless advice is worded very carefully. VERY carefully!

The fact that you didn't write "cancel" in your advice has no bearing on the matter. What does have bearing on the matter is that you failed to use the proper word which, once again, is "modify". MODIFY!

It may also be well to consider the possible consequences of the cancellation if the Roomette (or Roomettes) freed up were some of the few available and were booked by another party before AcrossTheOcean could get back to Amtrak - a major monkey wrench in travel plans from Germany. Maybe. Just saying...

Had notice been taken of the implication of AcrossTheOcean's user name plus the fact hat her location was given as Germany, an astute poster might have considered there may be a native language difference. Those differences can often lead to a misunderstanding unless advice is worded very carefully. VERY carefully!
The fact that you didn't write "cancel" in your advise has no bearing on the matter. What does have bearing on the matter is that you failed to use the proper word which, once again, is "modify". MODIFY!
Fine. Point taken.

And who's to say that even if they said to "modify" their reservation that the agent wouldn't interpret that as "cancel and rebook to get the lower fare?" Perhaps the agent will even do that automatically, as that's how they know how to do that (even if it's not the correct process.)

I doubt that the word choice matters much; the agents aren't robots trained to do things certain ways only if you invoke certain words. They're humans who likely have their ways of doing things, and I highly doubt the word choice matters much.

Sure, it's probably better to use modify instead of change. But I doubt that was the issue on the call; the issue was that the agent only knew how to change it (or modify it) by cancelling and rebooking, thus triggering the cancellation fee. It's up to each person on how strongly to fight this, and I'd imagine soon the "no change fee" will become officially the same as cancelling and rebooking (any refund will be a 75% refund instead of a 100% refund.) Thus, the whole point may be moot soon enough.

The Agent also gets a booking credit when they rebook instead of modifying the existing reservation. Most people do not know to say Modify, so if the Agent is focused on the number of bookings metric, they always cancel then start a new booking.

The Agent also gets a booking credit when they rebook instead of modifying the existing reservation.
If conversely that means the agent loses booking credit when modifying then it's easy to see why getting transferred to a supervisor may yield better results - maybe supervisors don't get booking credits?

Back