Can't decide what to do

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smee

Train Attendant
My original plans for next summer were to take the train cross country NYC-LAX then drive to Vegas and fly home. I have now gotten the idea of flying into Glacier Park International Airport, renting a car and driving through the park and staying in East Glacier for a week so I can explore the park and take the train home from there. I have about 6-7 weeks before I will be making my reservations so I will welcome any and all opinions on the matter.

I think you could easily spend a week in and around Glacier: a day in Whitefish, a day in and around West Glacier/Belton/Lake McDonald, a day doing the Going to the Sun Road and around St. Mary Lake, a day or two in Waterton park in Canada (don't forget your passport!), a day in and around Two Medicine Lake and the East Glacier/Apgar area, a day in Browning for the Blackfeet Heritage Center, and at least half a day in Essex eating the Izaak Walton Inn's great food and watching trains go by. I'd stay some different places, like in Canada, and in Essex for a night or two, in a caboose!

I think you could easily spend a week in and around Glacier: a day in Whitefish, a day in and around West Glacier/Belton/Lake McDonald, a day doing the Going to the Sun Road and around St. Mary Lake, a day or two in Waterton park in Canada (don't forget your passport!), a day in and around Two Medicine Lake and the East Glacier/Apgar area, a day in Browning for the Blackfeet Heritage Center, and at least half a day in Essex eating the Izaak Walton Inn's great food and watching trains go by. I'd stay some different places, like in Canada, and in Essex for a night or two, in a caboose!
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm just starting to do the research and you have given me more work to do!

I plan on doing a lot of shooting with my camera and some moderate hiking. I'll have to look into staying at different places like you suggested.

Ah, the joy of planning a vacation

Of course it depends on your interests and likes, but I would pick Glacier over Vegas any day. I went to Glacier a month ago and spent a few days but it wasn't near enough time. I need to go back.

going to the sun road (the mountain road through the middle of the park) opens usually in early to mid june. east glacier lodging reservations are pretty easy to make other than at glacier park lodge where the earlier you can reserve the better. if you have the funds, the old great northern railway hotels in the park (many glacier hotel, lake mc donald lodge, prince of wales hotel (in waterton park)and glacier park lodge) are wonderful experiences. not to mention the hike in chalets at granite park and sperry glacier. reserve very early for any of that. glacier is "the best care killing scenery on the continent" according to john muir

going to the sun road (the mountain road through the middle of the park) opens usually in early to mid june. east glacier lodging reservations are pretty easy to make other than at glacier park lodge where the earlier you can reserve the better. if you have the funds, the old great northern railway hotels in the park (many glacier hotel, lake mc donald lodge, prince of wales hotel (in waterton park)and glacier park lodge) are wonderful experiences. not to mention the hike in chalets at granite park and sperry glacier. reserve very early for any of that. glacier is "the best care killing scenery on the continent" according to john muir
I checked the prices of the hotels in the park and they are a bit out of my range, hence the reason to stay at east glacier and do day trips from there.

I checked the prices of the hotels in the park and they are a bit out of my range, hence the reason to stay at east glacier and do day trips from there.
I didn't find my stay at Lake MacDonald Lodge to be a good value, so your plan makes sense to me. The old lodges are gorgeous, but Mrs. Ispolkom is still livid about coming back each afternoon to find that the room once again hadn't been made up, and the trash hadn't even been emptied. Staying outside the park and doing day trips seems a really good idea.

We only spend three days in the park on our last visit. A week would be much better. Remember to bring layers of clothes, since the temperatures and weather can be very variable.

The park is great but I wouldn't spend a week there, maybe 3-4 days but not a week.
I totally disagree. I could easily spend a month in Glacier and not get bored. But a week would be a great amount of time to really see the park. If you were able to take more time, I would even consider staying out in Montana for two weeks and making the drive down to Yellowstone & the Tetons - but it is a long drive south from Glacier to YNP and its not that scenic.

The park is great but I wouldn't spend a week there, maybe 3-4 days but not a week.
I totally disagree. I could easily spend a month in Glacier and not get bored. But a week would be a great amount of time to really see the park. If you were able to take more time, I would even consider staying out in Montana for two weeks and making the drive down to Yellowstone & the Tetons - but it is a long drive south from Glacier to YNP and its not that scenic.
Oh, have to disagree on this one. I just did the drive a month ago between Glacier and Yellowstone and found it very scenic. Much of the drive is along Flathead Lake, depending on your route, which is one of the largest interior lakes in our country. It is very beautiful. All of Montana is beautiful and we enjoyed our time at West Yellowstone, as well. The drive does take up a good part of a day, though.

Oh, have to disagree on this one. I just did the drive a month ago between Glacier and Yellowstone and found it very scenic. Much of the drive is along Flathead Lake, depending on your route, which is one of the largest interior lakes in our country. It is very beautiful. All of Montana is beautiful and we enjoyed our time at West Yellowstone, as well. The drive does take up a good part of a day, though.
I'm with you on this one. I've driven between Glacier and Yellowstone (actually Jackson, WY) many times. I take US93 south all the way south through Missoula and continue on to the Bitteroot Mountains, Lost Trail Pass, and turn off on US20 east at Arco, Idaho. Then I cut across through Idaho Falls, up to Rexburg and across through Victor...that's the backside of the Tetons. At Jackson, just head north through Grand Teton National Park and into Yellowstone. There is NOTHING that isn't scenic the entire route.

I won't argue that US 93 isn't a beautiful drive, but your route is a tad circuitous. Google maps gives that route as 675 miles from East Glacier to Old Faithful Inn via Arco. A more direct route between the parks through Helena would be 395 miles. If Amamba went that way, she might have found the scenery, especially the section between US 2 and I-15, a tad repetitive. I've enjoyed a more eastern route, through Great Falls and then due south on US 89, but I have a greater fondness for the Great Plains than most.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have now gotten the idea of flying into Glacier Park International Airport,

Where is that Airport & what airline do you fly?

Thanx
Delta, Horizon (Alaska), United.

http://www.iflyglacier.com/index.php
Thanx for the info!!!!

I called Delta, which is a partner of Sky West. A ticket (next summer) from FCA (Glacier) to TPA (Tampa) is $235.00 but a ticket from FCA (Glacier) to SLC (Salt Lake City) is $634.00. Go Figure!?!?!?

I won't argue that US 93 isn't a beautiful drive, but your route is a tad circuitous. Google maps gives that route as 675 miles from East Glacier to Old Faithful Inn via Arco. A more direct route between the parks through Helena would be 395 miles. If Amamba went that way, she might have found the scenery, especially the section between US 2 and I-15, a tad repetitive. I've enjoyed a more eastern route, through Great Falls and then due south on US 89, but I have a greater fondness for the Great Plains than most.
I guess I like it because it IS circuitous. I never have a strict schedule while out West and enjoy seeing as much as I can. I also have friends in Darby and Wisdom. Speaking of the Great Plains ......have you read this wonderful book?http://www.amazon.com/Great-Plains-Ian-Frazier/dp/0312278500

The only time I went to Glacier was a summer that I worked in Yellowstone National Park. We only had four days to go to Glacier and I remember the drive being boring and not scenic. I suspect we took the most direct routing from the northern entrance to Yellowstone (Gardiner, MT) to Glacier I wasn't driving. But it was over ten years ago, back when I was in college, so it is possible that I misrembering.

In any case, I think we can all agree that a month would be lovely to see Glacier, Yellowstone AND the Tetons! One summer wasn't enough for me and I can't wait to go back.

Well, I've been looking at the map and "may" decide to drive to Bonners Ferry Idaho after landing and see that city then drive to East Glacier. I don't know when I'll ever be in that part of the country again so I might as well see and do what I can.

If you end up staying in East Glacier, you will have access to some of the most spectacular hikes in the park - Dawson Pass, Scenic Point and Pitamakan Pass. Two are ranger led, one is not. If you are hiking alone be sure to take bear spray or hook up with other hikers at the trailhead. One of my favorite hikes in Glacier is Pitamakan Pass: My link. It's also one of the hardest - almost 16 miles - but definitely worth it. You can also make it a loop hike and return via Dawson Pass (or as some call it Awesome Pass). East Glacier is defintiely th quite side of the park and Two Medicine is one of my favorite spots on the planet. Enjoy!

I lived and worked in Glacier for 8 summers when I was younger, and still don't feel I spent enough time there. Everyone's tastes are different, but for my money it easily beats the heck out of Vegas. (Or of Yellowstone, for that matter.)

If you decide to go for it, and need any additional ints on lodging/dining/hiking/whatever, definitely let me know.

I lived and worked in Glacier for 8 summers when I was younger, and still don't feel I spent enough time there. Everyone's tastes are different, but for my money it easily beats the heck out of Vegas. (Or of Yellowstone, for that matter.)

If you decide to go for it, and need any additional ints on lodging/dining/hiking/whatever, definitely let me know.
I booked the Mountain Pine Motel for my stay, and plan on taking one of the day long Red Bus tours the first day to acquaint myself with the park. On the second day I will probably do the Garden wall hike, which will take me all day as I will probably be stopping every few steps to take pics. I've just started reading a few books about the park and haven't decided what I'm going to do the other 2 days I'm there. i may drive around the southern end of the park (rte. 2) and come back on the Going to the Sun rd. I have until the end of July to make up my mind.

I didn't find my stay at Lake MacDonald Lodge to be a good value, so your plan makes sense to me. The old lodges are gorgeous, but Mrs. Ispolkom is still livid about coming back each afternoon to find that the room once again hadn't been made up, and the trash hadn't even been emptied. Staying outside the park and doing day trips seems a really good idea.

We only spend three days in the park on our last visit. A week would be much better. Remember to bring layers of clothes, since the temperatures and weather can be very variable.
I'm going in late July and will most likely be bringing my LL Bean 3 in 1 jacket

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65688?feat=593-GN1

I booked the Mountain Pine Motel for my stay, and plan on taking one of the day long Red Bus tours the first day to acquaint myself with the park. On the second day I will probably do the Garden wall hike, which will take me all day as I will probably be stopping every few steps to take pics. I've just started reading a few books about the park and haven't decided what I'm going to do the other 2 days I'm there. i may drive around the southern end of the park (rte. 2) and come back on the Going to the Sun rd. I have until the end of July to make up my mind.
The Mountain Pine motel will be fine, and is one of several Mom-and Pop places in East Glacier. There are a number or restaurants there, too -- I generally eat at the Villager when I'm over that way.

The Red Bus tours have a lot of appeal to first-time visitors, and the busses themselves are definitely fun to ride. I don't always recommend it to people, though, because the caliber of the driver/guides is really inconsistent. And the experience you get also depends a lot on the fellow passengers you end up with ... sometimes they're lots of fun, sometimes not.

The Highline (garden wall) trail is definitely the classic day hike in the park, with lots going for it, including great views and near-guaranteed mountain goat sightings. You also get to see one of the Great Northern's old backcountry chalets, which is extremely cool. And there's also much less uphill than most other Glacier day hikes. :)

Other day-long Glacier hikes I really like include Siyeh Pass and the Dawson-Pitamakan loop. For folks who are really in shape, Gunsight Pass can't be beat.

My favorite part of the park these days is actually Polebridge, a funky little place out in the middle of nowhere, with a good restaurant and the best bakery in the state. A long ways from anywhere else, but you get away from most of the tourists and get so see a bit of "real" Montana. Great country up there.

But wherever you go, I'm sure you'll love it!

The Mountain Pine motel will be fine, and is one of several Mom-and Pop places in East Glacier. There are a number or restaurants there, too -- I generally eat at the Villager when I'm over that way.

The Red Bus tours have a lot of appeal to first-time visitors, and the busses themselves are definitely fun to ride. I don't always recommend it to people, though, because the caliber of the driver/guides is really inconsistent. And the experience you get also depends a lot on the fellow passengers you end up with ... sometimes they're lots of fun, sometimes not.

The Highline (garden wall) trail is definitely the classic day hike in the park, with lots going for it, including great views and near-guaranteed mountain goat sightings. You also get to see one of the Great Northern's old backcountry chalets, which is extremely cool. And there's also much less uphill than most other Glacier day hikes. :)

Other day-long Glacier hikes I really like include Siyeh Pass and the Dawson-Pitamakan loop. For folks who are really in shape, Gunsight Pass can't be beat.

My favorite part of the park these days is actually Polebridge, a funky little place out in the middle of nowhere, with a good restaurant and the best bakery in the state. A long ways from anywhere else, but you get away from most of the tourists and get so see a bit of "real" Montana. Great country up there.

But wherever you go, I'm sure you'll love it!
Currently strenuous hikes aren't on my list, but hopefully that will change in the next 7 months.

Do you have any suggestions for sunrise, sunset pics?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's how I almost sold Mrs. Ispolkom on the Highline trail. After I showed her a youtube video of the trail, though, (maybe something like

Damn straight. I've never been any place as beautiful. Sure, Marias Pass is beautiful, but it's nothing compared to being in the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back