Can't combine AGR and Cash Purchase?????

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabbytony

Train Attendant
I am about ready to tear my hair out about by the imcompetence of some at the AGR center. I made 4 separate calls and received 4 different answers.

I want to travel from LAX to Chicago in October. It requires two zones. I have enough points for one bedroom-one zone. No problem so far. The sleeper from ABQ to Chicago is $835.00 for the one zone. I want to use my AGR points for that leg.

Now I want to get from LAX to ABQ by purchasing a cash ticket for that leg.

AGR says I can NOT combine Rewards tickets and cash tickets.

STRANGE????

I guess they would rather have me travel by American Airlines.

Any suggestrions?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Another member reported trying to do a similar thing with two rewards trips.

If this really is a new unpublished rule, I'm going to be pretty unhappy - living here in DC, it's usually a waste of a zone when headed west, it's much better to pay to get to CIN or TOL and start an award trip there.

Are you trying to do it all at one time with the same agent? IIRC, the AGR agents can't sell tickets and the ticket sales folks can't issue rewards tickets.

Make two seperate reservations. LAX - ABQ (cash) then call AGR to make the AGR reservation!

I asked about doing that and was told the conductor might not allow it when I board the train and may make me pay the full fare.

I just did this recently - and on the same trip. I called Amtrak and told the agent what I wanted. I don't remember if it was Reservations or AGR but the same agent made 2 reservations for me: PAID from San Francisco to Albuquerque and then another one AGR redemption continuing on the same train from Albuquerque to CVS via Chicago. I asked if I could possibly continue in the same roomette and after being put on hold for about 10 seconds was told 'yes.' I now have the 2 separate etickets in my inbox.

One of the stated benefits when AGR brought the reservation call center in-house was that the AGR agents could book both AGR award reservations and paid reservations on one call. I know that it was pretty common.

I wonder if those published guidelines are just the tip of an iceberg of major changes taking place behind the scenes at AGR. There seems to be a lot of weird stuff happening at AGR lately.

Four different answers and none that were satisfactory? Everytime you wind up getting an answer from an agent you believe is wrong, politely ask for their name, go to Flyertalk.com and send an IM to AGR Insider. Hopefully you can get the matter resolved before the space is gone.

Back