Cancellation Policy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I am not currently planning on cancelling my trip but I would like to know the exact policy. I know that Amtrak is waving change fees for all trips booked by 1/4/22 but is a cancellation a change? Assuming I cancelled a trip that is less than 121 days away what would the cancellation fee be? I assume $250 since that is the max. I am in a sleeper.

Last edited:
Or zero if you provide a medical excuse. Even pre covid Amtrak waived cancellation fee for medical reasons. Dr note may or may not be required. I’m pretty sure in the situation we are in now just saying someone in your party has a cough would suffice.

Or zero if you provide a medical excuse. Even pre covid Amtrak waived cancellation fee for medical reasons. Dr note may or may not be required. I’m pretty sure in the situation we are in now just saying someone in your party has a cough would suffice.
Nowhere in the pre-pandemic rules was there a blank check for "medical excuse" refunds but you're not wrong. Numerous members posted about how they claimed a medical exception, even with no evidence or established policy to support them, and Amtrak simply rolled over and refunded everything.

I have been hesitant to post this, because it was just my experience. But when I canceled my tickets to the 2020 gathering, I said it was due to COVID, and I got a full refund to my credit card.

Nowhere in the pre-pandemic rules was there a blank check for "medical excuse" refunds but you're not wrong. Numerous members posted about how they claimed a medical exception, even with no evidence or established policy to support them, and Amtrak simply rolled over and refunded everything.

It‘s been there since Anderson revamped the cancellation policy 3-4 years ago. Tucked away on the website but it’s always been there.

Attachments

• 100FA3BB-D881-4A3A-8298-61E1DB368966.jpeg
    100FA3BB-D881-4A3A-8298-61E1DB368966.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 21
I was fully refunded my ticket costs last summer when I called on the day they announced they would not have Traditional Dining, because I told them that I had a picture of the page that showed previously they would have T.D. and had just that day received an email responding to my request that assured me that T.D. was what I would get for my upcoming trip.

It‘s been there since Anderson revamped the cancellation policy 3 years ago.
Then I stand corrected. I've never heard of anyone needing a doctors note but maybe they included that wording for repeat offenders. Personally I think they should just do away with change penalties for anything cancelled before departure. Maybe 48 hours for sleepers so they can reassign the winning bids. For the last couple years it has been very easy to change or cancel any ticket but I'm starting to see some international carriers revert back to the old rules.

Exactly something has to be done. 121 days in advance for zero cancellation fee is excessive to say the least. I personally feel it was put in place to hinder long distance bookings at the time by Anderson and Co. Now it’s “new” management, new directives, so it’s time to put in place a policy that’s more customer friendly. At the very minimum allow a full “voucher refund“ without the 25 percent penalty for last minute cancellations and full refunds for cancellations two weeks out. Most first class airfares are fully refundable up to departure time as are Acela fares.

Last edited:
…Most first class airfares are fully refundable up to departure time...

I think you’re over exaggerating the airlines policy here.

A fully refundable first class ticket is definitely extra cost more often than not.

I know it’s only one comparison point, but I did a test booking on Delta. For a one-way, first class ticket mid January IND-BOS, it was $223 nonrefundable and $323 refundable.

if you have to cancel a non-refundable first class ticket, you pay the 25% penalty just like you do on Amtrak.

I think Anderson was just bringing Amtrak policies more in line with the airlines, because he figured they get away with it - why shouldn’t Amtrak.

Definitely not as consumer friendly, that’s for sure.

I think Anderson was just bringing Amtrak policies more in line with the airlines, because he figured they get away with it - why shouldn’t Amtrak.

Definitely not as consumer friendly, that’s for sure.
Amtrak under Anderson was trying to join the airlines at the bottom of the barrel. He and Flynn did a great job of it. I'm so proud of their only accomplishment. NOT!

I’ve been starting to look into planning various long distance Amtrak trips this spring/summer/fall - had looked at eastern trains for this spring, and considering a trip on the Empire Builder and/or California Zephyr this summer, as well as the Southwest Chief for the SD Gathering. Anyway, I noticed that they seem to have made refund policies for sleepers considerably worse than they were when I last took a sleeper a few years ago - in addition to being non-refundable (but cancelable for a voucher) 14 days before the trip, all refunds closer than 120 days off incur a 25% fee. And I definitely don’t want to do overnight coach - that was doable for me 10 years ago (when I did my SWC+SL+CONO loop trip), but not now.

Given the various relaxing of policies due to COVID, is this policy actually in effect currently? Is there any way to avoid this (aside from canceling more than 120 days out or taking a voucher)? If so, this is actually worse than the airlines - currently I’m able to book fully refundable up to departure fares on most airlines for only $70 or so more than standard main cabin fares. Currently I’m thinking I’ll fly for my trips coming up soon (though eastern trains lack of good food also plays a role in that decision). I do want to get a western trip in soon, but having had to cancel a winter trip (flying, no Amtrak) and rescheduling being difficult sometimes the 25% refund fee has me concerned. I may also be looking at taking VIA’s Canadian (possibly in a loop with the EB) - if their cancelation policy is better that may steer me in that direction, though then I‘d have to worry about Canada’s COVID policy.

Just saw my comment was combined with an older thread about this. Noticed the medical cancellation policy - that would apply in some cases I could foresee canceling (my last trip was cancelled due to medical issues, though it wasn’t Amtrak). Though I’d still be worried about a COVID spike that would make me want to cancel the trip - anyone have experience with that under the current policies (particularly whether fear of a COVID spike counts as “medical”?

I booked a trip to NYC and we cannot go next month and can't re-book right now. It was for biz class up and roomette back. I am trying to cancel online and it will let me but it's charging me $207. Does this sound right? It's booked for 3 1/2 weeks out now.

I booked a trip to NYC and we cannot go next month and can't re-book right now. It was for biz class up and roomette back. I am trying to cancel online and it will let me but it's charging me $207. Does this sound right? It's booked for 3 1/2 weeks out now.
The website always applied penalties, IIRC, you had to call to get the waivers. At least that was the way it was when the waivers were first introduced. Try calling to cancel if you haven't already executed the transaction. Can't say if they'll be able to reverse it if you did, probably what's done is done.

And yes, it does sound right, without the waivers, there is a stiffish penalty for cancelling sleepers at 120 days or less out. Which goes up again at 14 days.

Many agents were applying the modification waivers to cancellations, I was able to do that myself last year with AGR points and an AGR agent, but I heard some weren't, or the policy changed. It's Amtrak, so inconsistency would be no surprise. In any case, you probably have to process the cancellation through an agent to have any chance of getting the fees waived.

Another possibility is to modify to a "holding" itinerary some months out, then modify that once you are able to make other actual plans. No limit on mods that I am aware of, have done up to three (original and two mods) myself. Note it doesn't have to be the same endpoints, it can be anything as long as its Amtrak.

Last edited:
You need to call Amtrak, which is currently still waiving those charges. The online booking system won't do it for you, but an Amtrak agent will. I just did this a few weeks ago for a trip planned for November---needed to cancel a leg I'd already re-booked on a different train.

Sooo...I got on chat with Amtrak today at work and at first I got an agent who said I needed to call the 1800 call center #. I was about to end the chat and call when another agent came on the chat. She asked me some questions about the situation and then said she was refunding my money with no penalty! Very pleased to say the least! Now I wish I could get someone at the cruise line who would do the same!

Sooo...I got on chat with Amtrak today at work and at first I got an agent who said I needed to call the 1800 call center #. I was about to end the chat and call when another agent came on the chat. She asked me some questions about the situation and then said she was refunding my money with no penalty! Very pleased to say the least! Now I wish I could get someone at the cruise line who would do the same!

Which cruise line? Some are better than others lately with canceling or changing your booking.

The website always applied penalties, IIRC, you had to call to get the waivers. At least that was the way it was when the waivers were first introduced. Try calling to cancel if you haven't already executed the transaction. Can't say if they'll be able to reverse it if you did, probably what's done is done.

And yes, it does sound right, without the waivers, there is a stiffish penalty for cancelling sleepers at 120 days or less out. Which goes up again at 14 days.

Many agents were applying the modification waivers to cancellations, I was able to do that myself last year with AGR points and an AGR agent, but I heard some weren't, or the policy changed. It's Amtrak, so inconsistency would be no surprise. In any case, you probably have to process the cancellation through an agent to have any chance of getting the fees waived.

Another possibility is to modify to a "holding" itinerary some months out, then modify that once you are able to make other actual plans. No limit on mods that I am aware of, have done up to three (original and two mods) myself. Note it doesn't have to be the same endpoints, it can be anything as long as its Amtrak.
If you modify a sleeper resv. to a "holding" itinerary past 121 days, would you be able to then cancel with no penalty?

If you modify a sleeper resv. to a "holding" itinerary past 121 days, would you be able to then cancel with no penalty?
Well, right now the policy is they are not applying the penalties to modifications, and since "modifications" extend to an entirely different itinerary, that ought to work. If you then decided to cancel, the penalty should be per the revised travel date, IMHO, if they apply it at all (at least some agents extend the modification penalty waiver to cancellations, but there have been reports otherwise, too. It's Amtrak, so YMMV).

As a dodge to avoid the penalty, it may well work, but I have no first hand knowledge, never having tried it. As I described, I was able to cancel without a penalty last year without having to dance around.

I just cancelled a sleeper trip due to not feeling well, and in my case Amtrak seemed to stick to the policy - they did ask for a doctors note in order to cancel for a refund. In my case that won’t be an issue, but I wouldn’t count on being able to cancel and get a refund without a penalty unless for one of the reasons in the policy.

You should still be able to change your ticket without penalty, and you might be able to get a refund by cancelling a changed reservation more than 120 days before the new departure date, though I wouldn’t depend on that.

Back