Canadian Confusion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on taking a trip to Niagara Falls this summer.We want to stay in the Fallsview are of Ontario, however I am confused about which station I should go to. I have read alot of people use the Buffalo Depew (BUF) station when visiting NF. But there is also Niagara Falls, Ontario(NFS), and Niagara Falls NY(NFL). Which is correct station to use? How tough is the border crossing on the Maple Leaf if you have all your passports/documents in order? Do they really check everyone thru a computer or just choose folks randomly for closer screening? Thanks Y'all and Merry Christmas to all!

I plan on taking a trip to Niagara Falls this summer.We want to stay in the Fallsview are of Ontario, however I am confused about which station I should go to. I have read alot of people use the Buffalo Depew (BUF) station when visiting NF. But there is also Niagara Falls, Ontario(NFS), and Niagara Falls NY(NFL). Which is correct station to use? How tough is the border crossing on the Maple Leaf if you have all your passports/documents in order? Do they really check everyone thru a computer or just choose folks randomly for closer screening? Thanks Y'all and Merry Christmas to all!
:hi: Hey Tracy, are yall home yet from Florida?? You want to ride the Maple Leaf from NYP to Niagara Falls,Ontario (border crossing on the train, Business Class is easier than coach).

If you take the LSL to Buffalo you have to get off at Depew and either go to town and kill 5-6 hours, catch it at the Buffalo Exchange Station or hang out in the middle of nowhere at Depew till you board there! Downtown Buffalo is interesting, I did this last year! You dont want to get on on the New York side of Niagara Falls, the station is in the middle of nowhere (they are building a new one)and there is no there there! ;)

Stay on the Canadian side, if you want to PM me Ill fill you in on my trip last Summer, Im sure others have suggestions also! Id also say take VIA to Toronto, then Montreal and ride the Adirondack back to New York after your trip! Toronto and Montreal are very nice, every one should see Nioagara Falls once! :p

I plan on taking a trip to Niagara Falls this summer.How tough is the border crossing on the Maple Leaf if you have all your passports/documents in order? Do they really check everyone thru a computer or just choose folks randomly for closer screening? Thanks Y'all and Merry Christmas to all!
If you are staying on the Canadian side then you want to go to the NF station in Ontario. As for the border crossing, the time I rode the Maple Leaf the Canadian border security went over the train with a fine tooth comb. We were stuck there for over an hour as they screened and interview everyone. They eventually even took a couple of people off the train. Make sure your passports are in order.

I would do what Jim suggested. Take the LSL to BUF (Depew), then get a bus or taxi into downtown Buffalo and hang out there until the Maple Leaf arrives at BFX (Exchange St) later in the day. City Hall is a great art deco style building with a free tour every day at noon. There are other history/architecture walking tours available downtown on certain days.

I did the border crossing once. I was in business class, so I don't know if we got easier treatment than regular coach, but the customs official just looked at my passport, asked where I was going and how long I would be in Canada, and verified that I had only the one bag of luggage. It wasn't much different from crossing the border at a bridge. I remember a few people in coach got taken off the train for in-depth questioning in the station, and I think a couple of them weren't let back on. It does take a long time (as much as two hours), so make sure you have a conversation partner or a book or a laptop w/ DVD player or something to pass the time.

I've seen at least two reports that Canadian officials now take everyone off the train at the Canadian Niagara Falls station. I've not yet been able to confirm that this is the normal procedure as opposed to days where there was some specific reason to do that. However, Canadian Border Services has made it clear in the past few years that they much prefer not doing customs on board the train. This is one reason that Amtrak is looking at changing the Adirondack's station in Montreal, as they'd be able to setup a special area just like the Cascades has in Vancouver. So it is quite possible that CBSA is indeed forcing everyone off the train at Niagara too.

The US occasionally does that on the return, but most times they conduct the inspection on the train.

As for checking everyone through the computer, they already know who is coming over on the train. Amtrak transmits the list of names and what travel document they will be using to the CBSA prior to the train's crossing the border.

I've seen at least two reports that Canadian officials now take everyone off the train at the Canadian Niagara Falls station. I've not yet been able to confirm that this is the normal procedure as opposed to days where there was some specific reason to do that. However, Canadian Border Services has made it clear in the past few years that they much prefer not doing customs on board the train. This is one reason that Amtrak is looking at changing the Adirondack's station in Montreal, as they'd be able to setup a special area just like the Cascades has in Vancouver. So it is quite possible that CBSA is indeed forcing everyone off the train at Niagara too.

The US occasionally does that on the return, but most times they conduct the inspection on the train.

As for checking everyone through the computer, they already know who is coming over on the train. Amtrak transmits the list of names and what travel document they will be using to the CBSA prior to the train's crossing the border.
My last experience was in April, the search was done on the train with a few persons of interest, removed. After the search, local passengers for NF were allowed off. Use the bathroom before you hit NF, NY. They don't allow you to use bathrooms while the train is being checked, there were a few very unhappy campers on my last trip. I also recommend spending the few extra bucks on business class on the Maple Leaf.

Canadians wanting Bus. Class: When travelling from Toronto on the Leaf to US destinations, buy your ticket from Amtrak, not Via. Via may tell you that they don't offer Bus. Class, technically correct but Via will put you on the Bus. Class car at Toronto if you have an Amtrak Bus. Class ticket. A friend booked a Toronto-NYC trip through a travel agent and missed out on BC because Via told the agent they didn't have BC on the Leaf.

I sure hope they don't start emptying the train for inspection, bad enough on the bus which only take 30 minutes.

Anyone had recent experience crossing from Canada into the US on the Leaf? It used to take 2-3 hours.

Gord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back