Can you get on after your ticket says?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbygrrl

Train Attendant
Case in point: currently on the Meteor, set to get off in WAS then change to train 176 from Was to Bos. (FTL-WAS-BOS). The WAS 176 train will also stop in NYC.

Our SCA suggeated we stay on with him to NYC since the room will be empty.

Problem-we are traveling in AGR points, hence the funky WAS connection.

So if we do stay on until NYC, can we just get on the 176 train that we have a ticket for (Biz class)? Or will we have an issue since we did not board in WAS as noted in our ticket?

With e-ticketing, it may be an issue. If your ticket isn't scanned by a certain time, it will result in a no show. If that occurs, any part of your existing reservation may be canceled.

My advice is to call them if you plan on doing it.

Generally not a problem with unreserved trains. However, those don't specifically expire if you don't show up within a reasonable time. I bought 10 ride tickets and often rode inside the endpoints on the ticket. It gave me a bit of flexibility, and in some cases the ticket price was the same. BKY-GAC cost the same as EMY-GAC.

You're not going to have a problem with a ticket like that unless they cancel the ticket for a no-show. I'm not 100% sure how it works when the train is late, but I've heard 1 hour past the departure time is when you need to start worrying about having your ticket cancelled for a no-show.

Personally I wouldn't do it. You stand a good chance of having your second segment cancelled as a no-show.

Interestingly enough, we have been on this train for 7 hours and have not had our ticket scanned yet.

I did call AGR and they said even though it's symantics, we still have to get off in WAS.

She said I can talk to the conductor but they probably won't help. I just have not met the conductor yet :)

Interestingly enough, we have been on this train for 7 hours and have not had our ticket scanned yet.

I did call AGR and they said even though it's symantics, we still have to get off in WAS.

She said I can talk to the conductor but they probably won't help. I just have not met the conductor yet :)
Make sure it has been scanned or your ticket on 176 will be cancelled as a no show. Since you are in a sleeper it probably was lifted even if it was not scanned. Also if you don't get 176 at Washington your ticket on 176 will be cancelled before New York. And since it is a rewards ticket the Conductor after New York can't override the cancellation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Often on the Silver Meteor, the conductor will ask the SCAs if all sleeper passengers have boarded. The conductors then "scan" the passengers without the necessity of scanning each ticket. You may want to confirm with your SCA that you have been scanned.

Often on the Silver Meteor, the conductor will ask the SCAs if all sleeper passengers have boarded. The conductors then "scan" the passengers without the necessity of scanning each ticket. You may want to confirm with your SCA that you have been scanned.

I will ask about the scanning at dinner.

Thank you everyone for the advice. We'll jist chalk this one up to AGR annoying routing restrictions.

Happy Holidays !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back