Can you change segments?(rail pass) and others

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a rail pass starting on July 6th. I'm wondering: If I book 5 segments now but later want to change some of them (definitely before July 6) to the same segments on different dates or different segments (eg. from LA ->Flagstaff to LA->Chicago), will it be OK?

I just booked one segment of my 8-segment pass. Thinking about getting segments for SWC and CS as well. How far ahead of time should I book the tickets to be safe?

Also could you talk with a booking agent on weekends?

This is the first time I travel by train in the U.S. Also the first time I plan such a comprehensive trip during the busy season. So thank you so much for your help. All suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy and change segments at any time up until your train leaves, but remember that, if you already have a ticket, you need to physically take it to a staffed station in order to exchange it. Of course, you can't travel without a ticket. Also, the rail pass only covers the bottom three (of 5) bucket prices for coach travel, so if the only seats available on a train are being sold at the higher prices, you'll have to pay the difference or book a different train. Book as early as you can to ensure that you travel. (You can't book earlier than 180 days before your last day of travel, but that doesn't appear to be an issue for you.)

Amtrak booking agents are available at 1-800-USA-RAIL 24 hours, 7 days. (I've found the night shift crew to be very nice, actually. I have a habit of calling them at 2am.) Hours for stations vary wildly, so check the stations page for information.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you so much! really appreciate it!

You can buy and change segments at any time up until your train leaves, but remember that, if you already have a ticket, you need to physically take it to a staffed station in order to exchange it. Of course, you can't travel without a ticket. Also, the rail pass only covers the bottom three (of 5) bucket prices for coach travel, so if the only seats available on a train are being sold at the higher prices, you'll have to pay the difference or book a different train. Book as early as you can to ensure that you travel. (You can't book earlier than 180 days before your last day of travel, but that doesn't appear to be an issue for you.)

Amtrak booking agents are available at 1-800-USA-RAIL 24 hours, 7 days. (I've found the night shift crew to be very nice, actually. I have a habit of calling them at 2am.) Hours for stations vary wildly, so check the stations page for information.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back