Can we last in coach travel?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillVasi

Train Attendant
Hello I am used to the luxury of a roomette or bedroom when traveling Amtrak. My friend and I are thinking of staying in coach from Chicago to DC, then DC to Orlando Florida I am thinking that some passengers may want to throw me off due to the snoring my friend and i can do. She is louder than me at times... but I know at times babies and other noises are going on thru the night......... What is your opinion do I stick with a roomette or try coach for a change???

billvasi

Since you will be sitting next to each other you won't be bothering a seat mate, plus seasoned travelers know to bring ear plugs or earphones not to mention sleepmasks. But for everyone's comfort, if you can swing it, go for the roomette.

Most snoring zzzzzzz will be drowned out by the soft rumble of the wheels on rails zzzzzzz. The worst noise is a modern one: DVD and computer movies. Get some soft earplugs at CVS and you'll never notice.

Incidentally the only issue I have with coach is you can't lie flat and can be uncomfortable even for limber people like myself.

I hope Amtrak's next generation of long distance coaches makes use of seats that flatten out a little more, with better backs and leg rests.

Anyone travelling in coach should have brought along something to drown out noise; other noises help drown out snoring and what not. In general, it's fine.

Hehe, I have to say this topic made me smile and I kinda needed a smile so that's good.

I snore like a saw mill. As I've gained some weight over the last ten years my wife says it's become almost unbearable.

Back on topic though, I've always had extreme difficulty at Amtrak, sleeping in coach or on some occasions on a bus, because of my snoring. My problem is two-fold. One I'm quite self conscious of the fact that I snore loudly, and two I also suffer from some sleep apnea. I'm not sure which wakes me up, my own snoring or the sleep apnea but I constantly wake myself up until I finally fall into a deeper sleep.

I snore pretty loud. When in a room I can't even keep the door open for air circulation otherwise I'll disturb all the rooms around me.

I just, like I said, got a smile out of this topic so I had to reply. MY wife says the mouth piece I ordered does reduce the snoring to almost acceptable levels. Have you tried one of those?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe, I have to say this topic made me smile and I kinda needed a smile so that's good.

I snore like a saw mill. As I've gained some weight over the last ten years my wife says it's become almost unbearable.

Back on topic though, I've always had extreme difficulty at Amtrak, sleeping in coach or on some occasions on a bus, because of my snoring. My problem is two-fold. One I'm quite self conscious of the fact that I snore loudly, and two I also suffer from some sleep apnea. I'm not sure which wakes me up, my own snoring or the sleep apnea but I constantly wake myself up until I finally fall into a deeper sleep.

I snore pretty loud. When in a room I can't even keep the door open for air circulation otherwise I'll disturb all the rooms around me.

I just, like I said, got a smile out of this topic so I had to reply. MY wife says the mouth piece I ordered does reduce the snoring to almost acceptable levels. Have you tried one of those?
You need a CPAP machine......sleep apnea can kill you.

I am self conscious of my snoring and would opt for a sleeper if I want to be productive the following day. I can get some poor sleep in coach but not a good night's rest by any means. As there are 2 of you the roomette can't be that unreasonable. To save a few bucks you might consider getting off the Cap at Pittsburgh and taking the Pennsylvanian for the daylight hours, still a valid connection to the Meteor.

I am self conscious of my snoring and would opt for a sleeper if I want to be productive the following day. I can get some poor sleep in coach but not a good night's rest by any means.
For what it's worth, I slept in coach from ELK to OMA (two nights, arriving in OMA at 5:15 AM), had a two and a half hour drive back home, made work at 8:18 AM after showering and such (had breakfast on the road), and worked a full day without feeling overly tired.

So it really depends on who you are. You can still be productive the day after sleeping in coach if need be, in my experience. But I can sleep almost anywhere.

That's a big "amen" on the CPAP. I've had one for over 4 years. I used to wake up the whole house because of snoring, plus wake myself up 3-4 times a night. The CPAP was kind of a pain-in-the-caboose at first, but now it goes where I go. However, on Amtrak in coach, I usually forego the CPAP, sleeping in partially sitting up positon, I find the sleep apnea not as problematic, but with a roomette in the upcoming trip, I will use it onboard.

I can easily hear folks snoring on the train, but that is why I bring ear plugs. Any seasoned traveler that is a light sleeper or has issues sleeping with outside noise should be smart enough to bring them along.

That's a big "amen" on the CPAP. I've had one for over 4 years. I used to wake up the whole house because of snoring, plus wake myself up 3-4 times a night. The CPAP was kind of a pain-in-the-caboose at first, but now it goes where I go. However, on Amtrak in coach, I usually forego the CPAP, sleeping in partially sitting up positon, I find the sleep apnea not as problematic, but with a roomette in the upcoming trip, I will use it onboard.
Hey, Rusty -- I also use a CPAP machine, which I do bring when I've booked a sleeper. I'll be overnight in coach for a leg of an upcoming trip and am wondering whether any of those over-the-counter mouthpieces can at least curb snoring to a limited degree. I know those nasal strips and sprays don't do it for me.

Here's how I put it, if you go roomette, you won't be able to spend the money on luxury hotels, but if you don't really care about 5 star hotels (like me), then roomette is the way to go. :cool:

I am self conscious of my snoring and would opt for a sleeper if I want to be productive the following day. I can get some poor sleep in coach but not a good night's rest by any means. As there are 2 of you the roomette can't be that unreasonable. To save a few bucks you might consider getting off the Cap at Pittsburgh and taking the Pennsylvanian for the daylight hours, still a valid connection to the Meteor.
Get tested for sleep apnea. It can save your life.

Big mistake to forgo the machine. Keeps the neighbors happier when your snoring is reduced.

Hey, Rusty -- I also use a CPAP machine, which I do bring when I've booked a sleeper. I'll be overnight in coach for a leg of an upcoming trip and am wondering whether any of those over-the-counter mouthpieces can at least curb snoring to a limited degree. I know those nasal strips and sprays don't do it for me.
Why not use your machine?

I bought an expensive ($300), but awesome Lithium-Ion battery pack that I take with me for use with the CPAP. PM me if you need info on it. It lasts 3 nights w/o recharge if not using the humidifier so on a trip, I always use it and charge the battery every couple of days during the day. Very convenient.

For snorers not checked for apnea, I found I needed one after my wife woke me because she said I stopped breathing. Took 6 months to fully get used to it but I'd never go anywhere (including multiple trips to Europe and Red Cross Disaster Team work) without it. Stopped my snoring; stopped my daytime naps; gave me more energy; dramatically reduces stuffed nose from allergies and colds; got rid of sore throats. I strongly suggest you join the sleep apnea foundation forum for help and advice. CPAP was the best medical move I ever made.

Edit: Clarified last sentence.

I had my CPAP with me on a recent trip with one night in a roomette and 1/2 night in coach. I didn't use it in either case, but I don' t sleep well on trains, CPAP or not. I have not tried the other over-the-counter devices.

I always travel with my CPAP and use it in my room. On a trip last year, I did see someone in coach sound asleep with his CPAP running on the tray in front of him. :giggle:

I am self conscious of my snoring and would opt for a sleeper if I want to be productive the following day. I can get some poor sleep in coach but not a good night's rest by any means.
For what it's worth, I slept in coach from ELK to OMA (two nights, arriving in OMA at 5:15 AM), had a two and a half hour drive back home, made work at 8:18 AM after showering and such (had breakfast on the road), and worked a full day without feeling overly tired.

So it really depends on who you are. You can still be productive the day after sleeping in coach if need be, in my experience. But I can sleep almost anywhere.
I sure can't! It's almost impossible for me to fall asleep in a seat. Without ample rest I cannot be productive so I always get a Sleeper or I opt for a daytime Greyhound bus.

If I'm going to be in coach for over 4 hours, it will be on an airplane. Yes, it sucks, but at least on a plane after 4 hours, I'm where I need to be. (and thanks to FF programs, I'm rarely in coach!) If I take the train more than 4 hours, it will be in a sleeper. Period. I don't do well in a communal setting for much longer than that! I like my privacy and comfort. But, you may enjoyt it. I went coach from Spokane to Little Rock, 20 years ago, and had a ball. I was 19, just out of some military training that had me sleeping on the ground for weeks at at time, and the cafe/lounge wasn't real big on carding for alcohol back then. Now, there is NO WAY I could do the same trip in coach. Guess it's all what you feel like doing. Then, it was great. Now, no way!

I've always been a snorer. But doc doesn't recommend CPAP.

Back in college a few decades ago when a new bunkmate moved in I woke up with 2 boots, 3 textbooks and the toaster in my bed. Didn't notice until I woke my normal time. Sorry noob tried to stop me snoring by throwing things at my sleeping corpus but it didn't work.

I take roomette when I can afford it, otherwise coach.

If sleeping in same room with anybody I warn them and tell them they may throw stuff at me if it helps them.

Last weekend I had the privilege to sleep in a Navy rack - a mid-rack in a six-pack - nobody threw anything at me and I only got stepped on twice. The berthing was kind of like the old open-section berths on old-time trains - a rack with curtains and a flat place to sleep - no headroom - sitting up in rack impossible.

Most people snore less sitting up in coach - as opposed to lying flat.

Never had a snorer bad enough to bother me in coach on train or plane.

But if you think you snore bad enough to bother other passengers - put a sign on your seat -- "please dump ice on me if my snoring bothers you"

Mostly won't be a problem - based on my few decades of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back