Can I...?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking the Capitol Limited With Long Train Runnin' soon were booked in a sleeper and I was wondering can I leave the room and wander the train, and sit in an empty set of coach seats for a little while? Is this something conductors are okay with? I'm not talking hours just 20 minutes or so for a little change.

It's probably more hassle than it's worth. If the conductor or the coach attendant comes by and doesn't recognize you and you're sitting in a seat without a seat check card, they'll probably harass you a little bit. Not taboo, but they will likely ask you to leave.

That being said, I love exploring as much of the train as possible - even going to the back window to look out the 'railfan' portal.

I am taking the Capitol Limited With Long Train Runnin' soon were booked in a sleeper and I was wondering can I leave the room and wander the train, and sit in an empty set of coach seats for a little while? Is this something conductors are okay with? I'm not talking hours just 20 minutes or so for a little change.
I've never had a problem doing that. Sometimes for photo reasons I'll head back to coach, and I just make sure there's no seat check ticket above wherever I'm gonna sit. Dude, I can sympathize. If I was stuck in a cubicle with Long Train I'd probably want some relief too! HAHA!!

It would depend on the crew, and if the train was not crowded. You can always try, but to me it would not be worth the hassle. Will there be a sightseer lounge on there? If so, I would just sit there. If not . . . good luck. Amtrak crews are usually not too flexible, and sitting in coach when you are ticketed in a sleeper, may push the envelope more than a car attendant would want it pushed.

I've never had a problem doing that. Sometimes for photo reasons I'll head back to coach, and I just make sure there's no seat check ticket above wherever I'm gonna sit. Dude, I can sympathize. If I was stuck in a cubicle with Long Train I'd probably want some relief too! HAHA!!
Hardy Har Har :lol: :lol: Whooz at least were not talking about sharing a padded cell.

I sat in coach on the CZ for an hour and didn't have anyone say anything but I told him get the right advice not my off the cuff ideas about what it should be.

Hardy Har Har :lol: :lol: Whooz at least were not talking about sharing a padded cell.

I sat in coach on the CZ for an hour and didn't have anyone say anything but I told him get the right advice not my off the cuff ideas about what it should be.
Ya Hanging with Long Train, can be a bear at sometimes... (I'm glad I finally found a place were people can sympathized with me)

Ya Hanging with Long Train, can be a bear at sometimes... (I'm glad I finally found a place were people can sympathized with me)
BUT SEE WHOOZ I WRITE BETTER! SO there is some hope :)

Traindude,

You'll also be able to kill an hour or more having dinner in the dining car, and I personally would spend some time especially out of DC in the Sightseer lounge car. You can get some nice views of Harpers Ferry, an old canal that parallels the train route, and the climb into the mountains is rather scenic.

You can even send Stephen to the other end of the lounge car if you want some alone time. :lol:

You can certainly walk around the entire train, except for the crew car and the lower level of the dining car. As for sitting in the coaches, if they aren't sold out, then ask for permission first. I wouldn't be surprised though if they're sold out or close to it.

However, the lounge car is probably a nicer place to hang out anyhow, by comparison to the coaches.

Last edited by a moderator:

You used the the wrong there (Their). Just saying if you going to do the calling out, Just make sure you use the right word.

Traindude,
You'll also be able to kill an hour or more having dinner in the dining car, and I personally would spend some time especially out of DC in the Sightseer lounge car. You can get some nice views of Harpers Ferry, an old canal that parallels the train route, and the climb into the mountains is rather scenic.

You can even send Stephen to the other end of the lounge car if you want some alone time. :lol:

You can certainly walk around the entire train, except for the crew car and the lower level of the dining car. As for sitting in the coaches, if they aren't sold out, then ask for permission first. I wouldn't be surprised though if they're sold out or close to it.

However, the lounge car is probably a nicer place to hang out anyhow, by comparison to the coaches.
Thank you so much, I have already staid at Harpers Ferry, my dad is a civil war buff, I wish we would had planed this trip for the Fall to see the foliage. Oh well, school likes to get in the way of that. And the Canal name I believe is the B&O canal. But I'm really excited to go thought the mountains. And most of all spin some time with my old Friend before I go off to College. Whats better then being on a train with some of your best friends?

After breakfast, grab some juice and coffee from your car and head to the lounge-- sit and watch the sunrise over Indiana. Meet other people who walk in, talk to them, introduce yourself!

Thank you so much, I have already staid at Harpers Ferry, my dad is a civil war buff, I wish we would had planed this trip for the Fall to see the foliage. Oh well, school likes to get in the way of that. And the Canal name I believe is the B&O canal. But I'm really excited to go thought the mountains. And most of all spin some time with my old Friend before I go off to College. Whats better then being on a train with some of your best friends?
Unless you've taken the train before to Harpers Ferry, you've never arrived in quite the way you'll do it on the train. It's rather dramatic IMHO and it's best to be in the Sightseer lounge for this.

As for the canal it's the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, it runs alongside the Potomic River for many miles, as does the train.

And at Martinsburg, make sure to check out the restored round house and other RR stuff to the right of the train.

Traindude,

Eating Railroad French Toast at 6 AM as you approach Chicago. Doesn't get much better IMHO

Traindude,

Eating Railroad French Toast at 6 AM as you approach Chicago. Doesn't get much better IMHO
Depends on the crew. There's one lazy diner crew on the CL route that makes the French toast into rubber boots. But for that fact I would agree.

Traindude,

Depends on the crew. There's one lazy diner crew on the CL route that makes the French toast into rubber boots. But for that fact I would agree.
I have high hopes for some good French Toast if not I gues I'll have to take another trip to make up for it.

Traindude,

I have high hopes for some good French Toast if not I gues I'll have to take another trip to make up for it.
There is an SA... a nice plump blonde woman. She usually signifies the "good" crew. There is a male LSA who is on the tall side, with a buzz cut-- he watches over the "lazy" crew-- both of his SA's are African-American, one with a hard DC accent.

You used the the wrong there (Their). Just saying if you going to do the calling out, Just make sure you use the right word.
Not to nitpick.... He used the proper 'There' (unless you were talking about another part of the post). 'Their' refers to people as in 'Their tickets were unsigned'.

Their, they're, and there are some of the most commonly misused words in the English language.

[spank]

So if you are calling someone out, make darn sure you don't need to be called out yourself!

[/spank]

Edited to fix misspelling if "Their". How embarrassing.

Not to nitpick.... He used the proper 'There' (unless you were talking about another part of the post). 'Thier' refers to people as in 'Thier tickets were unsigned'.

Their, they're, and there are some of the most commonly misused words in the English language.

[spank]

So if you are calling someone out, make darn sure you don't need to be called out yourself!

[/spank]
Thier should be Their. :) You got it the third time. :) :p

Not to nitpick.... He used the proper 'There' (unless you were talking about another part of the post). 'Thier' refers to people as in 'Thier tickets were unsigned'.

[spank]

[/spank]
You are correct. Geeeesh. :angry:

Getting called out for improperly calling someone out for improperly calling someone out............ :eek:

Whatever happened to "I before E except after C". I know their is spelled that way, but I typoed it wrong TWICE. I'm good a grammar (or so I think), but not at typing (or proofreading).

I now owe myself a spanking. Actually, that's kinda weird. (Hey another NOT "I before E except after C".)

[spank]

[/spank]

Getting called out for improperly calling someone out for improperly calling someone out............ :eek:

Whatever happened to "I before E except after C". I know their is spelled that way, but I typoed it wrong TWICE. I'm good a grammar (or so I think), but not at typing (or proofreading).

I now owe myself a spanking. Actually, that's kinda weird. (Hey another NOT "I before E except after C".)
Its fine Whooz has sad my grammar is the wort just trying to point out he should be grateful mine is decent

[spank]

[/spank]

Its fine Whooz has sad my grammar is the wort just trying to point out he should be grateful mine is decent
Ok, I think I got it, since I have the Dyslexia, I will never call out someone's grammar or spelling ever again.

Just that I hate when Steve is right... I have learned my lesson.

Unless you've taken the train before to Harpers Ferry, you've never arrived in quite the way you'll do it on the train. It's rather dramatic IMHO and it's best to be in the Sightseer lounge for this.

As for the canal it's the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, it runs alongside the Potomic River for many miles, as does the train.

And at Martinsburg, make sure to check out the restored round house and other RR stuff to the right of the train.
That was just a test seeing if you knew the name of the Canal... :p Anyway, thanks for the tips at Martinsburg, I will make sure Long train runn' puts that on the list of things to go by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back