Can I pay to upgrade an AGR coach ticket to business class on the trai

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersey Jeff

Service Attendant
If I redeem my AGR points for a one-zone coach class ticket, would I be allowed to pay the Conductor to upgrade that ticket to Business Class (providing a seat is available, of course) when I board the train?

Yes you can! It's just that if you want to get a BC ticket before you board, you need to pay for a BC ticket award at that time. But you can do an onboard upgrade from coach.
Will conductors usually let that happen? On say a regional?
On a Regional it's probably hit or miss. Elsewhere I'd say that the odds are fair that the conductor would do so.

Yes you can! It's just that if you want to get a BC ticket before you board, you need to pay for a BC ticket award at that time. But you can do an onboard upgrade from coach.
On a Regional it's probably hit or miss. Elsewhere I'd say that the odds are fair that the conductor would do so.
Thanks! I always figured that onboard upgrades were limited to sleepers.

Nope. You can upgrade to anything, if there is space. Even from Acela BC to Acela FC, and I've seen the latter done on more than one occasion.

One thing you can't do onboard though is to use a free upgrade coupon, that must be done before leaving the station. The conductor cannot take the coupon on board. And I've seen someone try that too, and fail.

Nope. You can upgrade to anything, if there is space. Even from Acela BC to Acela FC, and I've seen the latter done on more than one occasion.

One thing you can't do onboard though is to use a free upgrade coupon, that must be done before leaving the station. The conductor cannot take the coupon on board. And I've seen someone try that too, and fail.
Is it possible to pull a roomette award and then try to pay to upgrade to a family bedroom or a deluxe room on board or at the station?

Is it possible to pull a roomette award and then try to pay to upgrade to a family bedroom or a deluxe room on board or at the station?
Yes, if one of those rooms is available, you can do a paid upgrade to the larger room onboard. You cannot do it in the station though, only onboard.

Yes, if one of those rooms is available, you can do a paid upgrade to the larger room onboard. You cannot do it in the station though, only onboard.
It would be interesting to see how they would price an on board upgrade from an AGR award roomette to a bedroom. Normally a roomette to bedroom upgrade is priced by taking the upgrade price for the bedroom and subtracting the paid price for the roomette. But, for an AGR roomette, I wonder what presumed paid price for the roomette is used in determining the net upgrade price?

Back