Can I go CHI-SEA-LAX on one points booking?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Train McGhee

Train Attendant
Ok, I am getting ready for the big redemption before the rates go up. I have tried to find this answer on my own, but I am new to this forum, usually read flyertalk, and I could use some help. Is it possible to book a sleeper from CHI-SEA-LAX, using 30,000 points for one way? I know that this used to be possible, but I also know a lot has changed. Anyone with experience, your advice and counsel would be greatly appreciated, as the redemption hour is near. Thank you.

No. You cannot go via Seattle on one 30K award, and I'm not sure that was ever possible in the past.

You can however go via Portland, OR on one 30K award, as no overnight is involved there. It is a same day connection to the Coast Starlight.

Ok, I amend and ask can I do chi-pdx-lax on one bedroom booking?
Yes.

A good way to check to see if it is a routing for AGR is to just go to www.amtrak.com and put in your two cities and hit "go!" If it shows up as one of the choices without going into multi-city, it is definitely available to book as an AGR award redemption. In this case, the EB to the CS with a connection in Portland is one of the available choices when putting in CHI - LAX. The other choices are the SWC (direct) or the CZ connecting to the San Joaquin and a bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. You cannot go via Seattle on one 30K award, and I'm not sure that was ever possible in the past.

You can however go via Portland, OR on one 30K award, as no overnight is involved there. It is a same day connection to the Coast Starlight.
Can you do your trip in reverse and do CHI-LAX-SEA? I'm pretty sure when we did that last year it was a 30K redemption. Difference is the SWC meets the CS (about a 2 hour connection time). I'll let the experts confirm this though.

Can you do your trip in reverse and do CHI-LAX-SEA? I'm pretty sure when we did that last year it was a 30K redemption. Difference is the SWC meets the CS (about a 2 hour connection time). I'll let the experts confirm this though.
Yes, that's a valid trip on a two-zone award.

The reason you can not do CHI-SEA-LAX as one award is that (if on time) the EB arrives into SEA AFTER the CS has departed, thus there is no same day connection possible. And on an AGR award, stopovers are not allowed if there is a same day connection possible. (Which there is in PDX.)

Hmm, no stop over might be a deal killer... I really want to take the empire builder, and I think it would be much more scenic than the southwest chief.

Which is a better train for travel, from the comfort and scenery perspective?

Sorry, I should have clarified. I really was looking forward to having a layover in PDX or SEA, and then continue on down the CS to LAX. With no stopover, then I am tempted to take the Southwest Chief instead of the EB, but I think the EB would be a way cooler train to take.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I really was looking forward to having a layover in PDX or SEA, and then continue on down the CS to LAX. With no stopover, then I am tempted to take the Southwest Chief instead of the EB, but I think the EB would be a way cooler train to take.

IMO, they're both nice! With the EB you get the Mississippi River, High Plains, Glacier Park, Columbia River Gorge --- Never Mind-- I vote for the EB!!! :lol:

Have Fun

I did the SWC - CS (CHI - LAX - SEA) last year and really enjoyed it. I liked the scenery on the second day of the SWC through the dessert and scrub and scruff. To me, it was very interesting, because there is nothing like it in my region of the country.

This year I am taking the EB so I can compare. :)

I think either trip will be a good one, it just depends on where you are going. Do you want to go to LAX or PDX or SEA as your final destination?

I think (but can't confirm this for sure right now) that taking the TE/SL from CHI to LAX and connecting to the CS to PDX or SEA may be valid - with the recent schedule change of the TE/SL!
biggrin.gif

I think (but can't confirm this for sure right now) that taking the TE/SL from CHI to LAX and connecting to the CS to PDX or SEA may be valid - with the recent schedule change of the TE/SL!
biggrin.gif
I think that transferring from the Sunset Limited to the Coast Starlight has always been legal, though it's certainly a longer layover with the new schedule. It's been the other direction that has been a problem, since the southbound Coast Starlight arrived after the eastbound Sunset Limited left.

The problem would be getting an agent to book the trip, because I can't get amtrak.com to produce that routing. I've booked a fair number of speculative trips in bedroom before the 4/1 deadline, and I've encountered more agents than I'm used to who insist that only ARROW-approved itineraries are legal. As always, YMMV, but it's certainly legit, as far as avoiding layovers.

Ok, I am booked, CHI to LAX via PDX, CHI to PDX in Bedroom B, PDX to LAX on Bedroom C. Today is my last chance to change, any thoughts on if those bedrooms are good to go? Thanks for all the help really excited for my trip!

Ok, I am booked, CHI to LAX via PDX, CHI to PDX in Bedroom B, PDX to LAX on Bedroom C. Today is my last chance to change, any thoughts on if those bedrooms are good to go? Thanks for all the help really excited for my trip!
:hi: You're Good to Go!! We're envious, enjoy the High Line and the trip to LAX on my Second Favorite Route! (The Zephyr still is #1 IMO!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back