Can I do Coast Starlight -->SWC Eastbound?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reefgeek

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I'm starting to think about my next cross-country odyssey, and what I want to do is ride the Coast Starlight and Southwest Chief. If possible, I would like to fly out and take those trains home (connecting with the Cardinal in Chicago). When I put NWK - EMY in the system it gives me the SWC-CS combination, but when I put EMY-NWK in, it doesn't. Is it because it's a long layover in LAX? How long? Will they still let me do it if I call reservations?

Are you buying a ticket or using AGR points?

If you are buying the tickets it can be booked as a multi-city trip but you'll need a hotel for the overnight (and most of the next day) layover.

If you are buying a ticket use the Multi City tab (next to the one way and RT options) and put LAX as an intermediate point

WOW a roomette on the Cardinal is really expensive! I can save $200 by taking the Capitol Limited + NE Regional. Maybe I'll save the Cardinal for an AGR trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CS does not arrive in La in time to connect to the SWC. We are doing it in July, but you have to get off the CS in Sacramento. Then it is a bus-train-bus trip to LA to get there in time.

I did it with the overnight+most of day layover - got to see some of my wife's family in LA while we were at it, so it was nice. Much nicer than a bus-train-bus and missing part of the CS's run.

I did it with the overnight+most of day layover - got to see some of my wife's family in LA while we were at it, so it was nice. Much nicer than a bus-train-bus and missing part of the CS's run.
That's what I think I will do. I'm sure I can find something to distract myself with for a overnight and a day in LA, until the SWC boards.

Especially since you're missing the nice coastal bits between SLO and the Valley. I mean, I take the San Joaquins all the time and they're great, but I wouldn't call it a scenic train.

Especially since you're missing the nice coastal bits between SLO and the Valley. I mean, I take the San Joaquins all the time and they're great, but I wouldn't call it a scenic train.
Yes, and the last (and only) time I took the CS, I missed them too! Well, we drove that leg and boarded at SLO, but we didn't drive through Vandenberg AFB like the train does! (Not for lack of trying.)

Yes, and the last (and only) time I took the CS, I missed them too! Well, we drove that leg and boarded at SLO, but we didn't drive through Vandenberg AFB like the train does! (Not for lack of trying.)

Where is the AFB while traveling north on the CS?

The same place it is when travelling south on the CS! :giggle: (I've already been on this board too long.)

The train goes straight through the base, after Santa Barbara but before San Luis Obispo. Highway 1 has to go inland. It's quite a piece of real estate. Apparently you can see the Space Shuttle Launch Facility (which they only used one time.) In fact, if you go on Google Maps and search Vandenberg AFB, you can select satellite view and see the way the track winds by the runways and missle silos!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently you can see the Space Shuttle Launch Facility (which they only used one time.) It's on the route guide.
The Space Shuttle never launched from SLC-6, but it's been used for several Delta IV launches.
Oh sure, next you're going to tell me they never built the Blackstar single-stage-to-orbit vehicle.

My bad, I thought it was used one time for a mission with a classified (ie spy satellite) payload, but I see you are correct. I must be thinking of some lousy sci fi movie!

The same place it is when travelling south on the CS! :giggle: (I've already been on this board too long.)

The train goes straight through the base, after Santa Barbara but before San Luis Obispo. Highway 1 has to go inland. It's quite a piece of real estate. Apparently you can see the Space Shuttle Launch Facility (which they only used one time.) In fact, if you go on Google Maps and search Vandenberg AFB, you can select satellite view and see the way the track winds by the runways and missle silos!
I've only been on the CS, South of SAC, one time & some how missed the AFB. I dont want to miss it next week!

Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back