Camping and Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_Metra

Train Attendant
Looking at the system map it seems that two National Parks look on paper very "Amtrak Friendly"; New River Gorge National River (Prince) and Glacier National Park (West Glacier or East Glacier) Has anyone tried to reach these locations for camping via Amtrak? What advice can you provide?

Looking at the system map it seems that two National Parks look on paper very "Amtrak Friendly"; New River Gorge National River (Prince) and Glacier National Park (West Glacier or East Glacier) Has anyone tried to reach these locations for camping via Amtrak? What advice can you provide?
Summer 2008 we took the Empire Builder to West Glacier. We stayed at the Lake MacDonald Lodge, so were met by a van, but I can testify that the hike from West Glacier Station (Belton) to Apgar Village, the closest camping, is a very flat three miles (one way), along entirely paved routes. The problem is that if you're arriving from the east, you arrive in the evening. Depending on the time of year, you could do most or all of the hike in the dark.

Another thought to consider is hiking/camping in the Grand Canyon. Depending upon your travel schedule and flexibility, consider SWC into Flagstaff or Williams Junction Arizona. From Williams, you could take Grand Canyon RR to the park. GCRR will provide shuttle to/from their hotel in Williams and Williams Junction - about 10 minutes or less. From Flagstaff, you can arrange shuttle service to the Grand Canyon or to Williams where you can take GCRR up to the canyon. The GCRR trip is very family friendly - and takes about 3 hours. Shuttle from Flagstaff (or Williams) to park is a shorter drive (I don't know how long of a drive).

Of course, you need to arrange camping permits in Grand Canyon. I recommend planning to bed down in one of the Grand Canyon park lodges on the nights before and after your hike. In the park, you'll find stores where you can purchase white gas, freeze-dried meals, various food items and general camping supplies.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy your trip - wherever it may be.

Deimos

we have taken the eb from the west for camping in glacier park without problem. arrive early morning, hike the 3 miles to apgar campground and we are in business. coming from the east, you might want to arrange lodging in west glacier for the night. east glacier is another option. magnificent hotel but you must arrange transportation to the heart of the park. if you are a hard core hiker and backpacker you can access the park from essex (izzak walton inn)

Lots of places to go in New England via Amtrak. There is thruway service to: Berlin, NH close to the White Mountains, Bangor, ME close to Katahdin or Acadia. Ethan Allen goes to Rutland, VT very close to the Appalachian/Long Trails, Lake Shore Limited goes to Pittsfield, MA close to the AT and Greylock, Vermonter goes to White River Junction right across the river from Hanover and the AT. Not quite planned out and easy like Glacier and Grand Canyon so you have to do a bit more research. Yeah its all on the AT, but that is where have done all my hiking in New England so far.

Harpers Ferry station stop is right across from the Appalachian Trail. In fact the Capitol Limited route follows the trail for several miles. If you're in NYC, Metro North has a commuter rail stop specifically for the AT. It only stops on weekends though. I'm trying to put together a trip where I bring a backpack and a tent and just go camping everywhere.

Harpers Ferry station stop is right across from the Appalachian Trail. In fact the Capitol Limited route follows the trail for several miles. If you're in NYC, Metro North has a commuter rail stop specifically for the AT. It only stops on weekends though. I'm trying to put together a trip where I bring a backpack and a tent and just go camping everywhere.
MARC stops at Harpers Ferry as well.

MARC stops at Harpers Ferry as well.
I didn't mention this trip before since Amtrak did not get us to hike location. But.....a hiking buddy and I took Amtrak to NYC, then Peter Pan bus to Great Barrington, MA and taxi to AT trail intersection on RTE 23. We hiked south on AT through CT into NY. We met Metro North train at AT Rail Station just north of Pawling, NY for ride into Grand Central Terminal. From there we took subway to NYP and Amtrak back home.

Actually, the CL follows the C&O Canal Trail for a while in the vicinity of Harpers Ferry. However, the AT joins the C&O trail for about 2 miles +/- in that vicinity.

Upstate - Thanks for all of the great ideas for taking train for hikes in New England!

You can do it in Yosemite, by taking San Joaquin to Merced and an "Amtrak" bus will take you there. Ditto for Sequoia National Park during summer time. However, check on your timetable. Heck, you can make a one-way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back