call and email

• Thread starter Guest_Amtrak_flyer
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Amtrak_flyer

I know alot of people are emailing, also I think calls might be just as important if not more now. A phone call only last 10 seconds, just tell them your outraged at Amtraks president being fired.

Things are going to happen quick.

Looks like Gunn might testifly next week before the House commitee about behind the scenes meetings he couldnt talk about before. Tell your elected officials you want to get to the bottom of this outrage!

Phone numbers can be found at www.senate.gov or www.house.gov

This could possible blow up to be a big scandel as long as we dont let it die. With all of Bush's other problems, that could buy sometime for nationwide rail service and get us closer to next years and 2006 elections.

IMO -- and just IMO -- perhaps it is best to mention to your elected officials to hold the executive branch accountable.

Perhaps in phone calls and emails people might mention, if the board chose to fire Gunn, that's their business. They are, after all the board of directors. OTOH, if the executive branch has failed to appoint members to oversee things in the first place, then why did they need to fire the main man now? And why the most recent scathing GAO report? Might some proper board supervision be of assistance instead of tossing the experienced railroader? Or shooting the messenger as it seems?

Such questions of the executive branch, and specifically Mr. Mineta can serve both political purposes, and our own selfish railroad enthusiast needs.

I'd suggest to all who care to phone or write elected officials to ask for hearings with Mr. Mineta, where he would answer questions about national transportation policy, and how the feds dump piles of $$$ into roads and airlines, while leaving the railroad network to fall apart.

I'm not terribly supposed to get involved with this, given my line of work, but I'll still try calling as a private citizen anyway.

I know what you mean Mr. Damon. We at Amtrak got told by our bosses not to forget the Railway Labor Act and be careful to how much we go after the Gunn termination publicly, as it is an internal operations action and illegal to lobby over specific corporate railroad decisions that don't immediately affect the health and welfare of labor employees. I have to agree with thoughts about holding the executive branch accountable about making decisions regarding Amtrak's board member appointments. But it is important to remember, whether we agree with him or not, that the President has the right and responsibility given to him in the Consitution to set national policy and enforce the law in the manner he sees fit. As Amtrak is a independent federal corporation, he has the right to set the agenda, or in this case, appoint people who share his values for Amtrak and seek ways to direct into the organization that fits his values regarding national railroad service. Unless the courts say his actions are illegal (there's nothing illegal for Amtrak to develop a plan and hire someone that seeks ways to eliminate federal subsidies), there's nothing we can do about the Executive branch until the 2008 election for a new president that shares our values for long distance trains. The President has never been secret about his view of Amtrak or the subsidy it receives yearly. I don't agree with the statement there is a "big scandal" the President is doing with Amtrak. He's appointed board members, all confirmed by Congress, that make the decisions that shape the policy of intercity rail. We must hold Congressman and Senators in the Legislative branch accountable for confirming past and future board members that don't hold the majority view among members of this forum about the long term corporate culture and plan for Amtrak.

Actually Trainboy I might agree with you under normal circumstances. However, in this case one must consider the fact that the Amtrak board was not at it authorized level of members, which opens the door to some questions. Furthermore, is the fact that two of those appointments circumvented the normal Congressional approval process.

So this could leave a window of opportunity for Congress to question these decsions. It might also leave open some legal challenges.

Finally, there is nothing that stops Congress from refusing to deal with matters that the President wants, unless he reconsiders his position.

That's true about the board members non-standard appointment. But I must stand by my view that, whether it's a scandal or not, that we're stuck with the current board's decision to change Amtrak's culture and long term plan to eliminate long distance trains. As I've stated before, even if Amtrak gets all of the Congressional support and money needed to continue operating as in its current form, the "independent" design of Amtrak makes it free and clear from a lot of direct Congressional jurisdiction. In every debate that Congress has ever had regarding Amtrak operations (on-board service, routes, etc.) all were appropriations issues and how Amtrak can or can't use it. The company only has to answer to Congress because it receives federal subsidies. If Amtrak chooses not to accept federal funding (which I suspect maybe a board tactic), no more Congressional jurisdiction. Using Conrail of the past as a similar situation, it was chartered as a "for profit" government corporation. Unlike Amtrak, Conrail reached operational self sufficiency stopped accepting federal subsidies and went private with an IPO, and was out of Congress' hands. The same goes with Amtrak. Since the original, and current, corporate charter has the National Railroad Passenger Corporation as a "for profit" government corporation like the old government created Conrail, only if Congress changes the law that designed Amtrak is admended to make it a "public service" (Corporation for Public Broadcasting, as an example), it has no legal authority to make Amtrak do something operationally that requires it to continually seek federal subsidies to operate it. If Amtrak were rechartered as a "public service" like PBS, they could legislate "passenger railroad policy" that the Amtrak Board of Directors was bound to follow. The President would appoint whomever he wanted to the board, but they would be bound to certain principles and couldn't modify or change the Congressionally mandated "passenger railroad policy." The PBS board all the time gets called on the carpet for programming decisions that viewers dislike. Congress can force the PBS board to modify its decisions or face a recall. Unfortunately, Amtrak or its board isn't set up this way. Amtrak board members can be called to testify about their decisions, but aren't subject to direct oversight or recall. The board can, and most likely will (using rhetoric about self sufficiency), say they're out to kill the long distance trains and Congress can't stop them under the current charter of Amtrak. We have to change the rules for Amtrak or it's going to become the company that the Bush Adminstration wants it to be using its appointed board members. :unsure:

I suspect if Amtrak refused Federal spending that one or more railroad organizations would sue. An independant, non-partisan committe should be running Amtrak, not a bunch of handpicked Presidential yes-men.

As an aside, I thought it was funny that many in the executive branch lauded Michael Brown's (head of FEMA) performance after Katrina. I wonder if they were away he was concerned about how he looked on TV. Slick move rolling up his sleeves, to make it look like he was actually doing something.

Ok, maybe scandel is too harsh a word, but already today in the papers I'm seeing the word Croneyism in the same sentence with Bush and Amtrak Board. Its true Bush can do anything he wants (assuming its legal), but for all intents and purposes elected officials are supposed to carry out the will of the people.

Keep up the outrage, this is just another way Bush is stabbing the American people in the back, lets get the word out.

If lobbying and political action by Amtrak employees is prohibited unless their direct health and welfare at stake, and (from another topic line on this board) the NOL management has been "informally" told to expect all regional train operations to cease within a few weeks, then the direct health and welfare of ALL those Amtrak employees, AND THEIR DEPENDANTS, hangs in the balance RIGHT NOW. If you are all likely going to lose your jobs in a few weeks, the threat of firing kind of pales, doesn't it? Plus, I would have a real hard time, as a government lawyer, arguing that

"Amendment I. Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the ... right of the people ... to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

doesn't mean exactly what it says. Any rule that says Amtrak employees don't have those rights, it seems to me, is clearly Unconstitutional. Maybe you would be in trouble if you were wearing your Amtrak uniform doing it, but certainly not as an aggrieved citizen, a voter contacting your elected officials. Unless being an Amtrak employee is the legal equivalent of being a convicted felon and therefore losing your civil rights (I could certainly see that as appropriate for the current Board, but not for regular employees), then it seems to me that you have EVERY RIGHT to contact your elected representatives.

It's not a matter of "freedom of speech" because the Railway Labor Act applies to private businesses as Amtrak is, first and foremost, a PRIVATE BUSINESS. Amtrak has always been that strange thing that plays all sorts of roles: railroad company one day, government agency the next, etc. Of course I can petition Congress and the President about Amtrak funding and legislation as a citizen, but not under current law as a member of a union that has immediate jurisdiction over my health and welfare as a railroad employee as authorized by law. On a side note, I don't feel like spending years in court dealing with the constitutionality of provisions in the Railway Labor Act. Let's just say there are a lot of federal laws and regulations, agencies and programs have been created, never challenged and upheld by the courts that have much less legal merit than anything written for Amtrak or railway labor.

If there is a precedent that holds the President, Congressman or Senator accountable for their ideologies and actions, other than through elections, recall and impeachment, I'll be inclined to be hopefull about Amtrak's future. We're dealing with the basic concept of the White House and Capitol Hill at odds over one of millions of federal issues. If you can say that even the majority of the 96 Senators who voted for the Lott admendment have the Amtrak issue on the top 10 list of issues to spend time over on the floor and in committee, please let me know. I believe that actions speak louder than words. I'm happy to see the Senate and House support Amtrak on such a large scale than ever before. But we still have a long way to go to keep Amtrak up and running in FY2006 without having the Amtrak Board of Directors throwing a huge monkey wrench into the cog. The White House has discoved a door to circumvent the Congress on Amtrak using the Board. It's definately something that must be looked into and challenged, but I fear that by the time we get meaningful legislative hearings and court rulings about the legitamacy of the Board and its decisions on operations and services, the Amtrak we know today will be dead and buried.

I have little experience in lobbying politicians. I have shot a few e-mails to my Senetors before.....on behalf of Amtrak. Does anyone with more knowledge than me know if one method of contact matters more than another. Is the act of actually calling more likely to carry more weight than e-mailing? I have all of my elected officials phone numbers written down to call Monday. E-mail would be cheaper and easier, though.

When emaling my reps they insist on a postal address, so they know where I vote
Whne I email they require my street address, too, and I usually get a quick automated reply back saying they have received it.

As relatively new citizen (4 year old) I have zero experience with lobbying in the US. I absolutely want to raise my voice and express my opinion about son of the bush (i.e. everyone deserves a fair trial in this country so hope he will get one and no unusual and cruel punishment afterwards). Any help would be appreciated.

BTW: I am in California, so I guess it's a big pro-Amtrak country. Not sure, how far my voice counts.

RE: Guest Gyuri

Thanks for being a concerned citizen.

To find out who your elected officials are go to:

www.senate.gov and click on your state, you have two senators both with equal power.

then go to www.house.gov and type in your zip code to find out who your one representative is.

You can call their local office, I find thats alot quicker. Just tell who ever answers the phone you have a "comment" its almost like theyre expecting you to call. Tell them to support nationwide Amtrak service and to fight President Bush from destroying it. They may or may not ask your name sometimes they ask for your zip code.

Also email a more detailed letter if you like from their website.

In theory you can and should write President Bush at [email protected] but at far as Amtrak goes Bush knows he's giving the citizens and congress of the United States the "middle finger" and just doesnt give a "da**" what we think.

We need to get Amtraks Board unseated and a new unbiased board, it can happen..keep the calls and emails coming.

Guest_Amtrak_flyer said:
Keep up the outrage, this is just another way Bush is stabbing the American people in the back, lets get the word out.
How many of you folks have actually read and "comprehended" the first post in this thread made by "trainboy?" I have one question to ask all who think otherwise. How much longer are you gonna try to beat this "horse?" Have a cow, but the damage is done! I no longer see where bombarding politicans is gonna make any iota of a difference. I have other views which should be obvious. I really don't have a reason post them!

When are y'all gonna get it? Amtrak as we know it is big time changing and may even cease by the end of the year if not sooner! To be frank, I will be quite (and pleasantly) surprised if I am wrong! We'll see. OBS...

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
How many of you folks have actually read and "comprehended" the first post in this thread made by "trainboy?" I have one question to ask all who think otherwise. How much longer are you gonna try to beat this "horse?" Have a cow, but the damage is done! I no longer see where bombarding politicans is gonna make any iota of a difference. I have other views which should be obvious. I really don't have a reason post them! When are y'all gonna get it? Amtrak as we know it is big time changing and may even cease by the end of the year if not sooner! To be frank, I will be quite (and pleasantly) surprised if I am wrong! We'll see. OBS...
Technically it is legal if a LEGITIMATE board fires the president. Where it is a problem if the board itself is not legitimate. I am damn sure, a good number of dems and perhaps quite a few reps are now looking for legal loopholes. SOB is about as stubborn and fanatical as his advisery (Usama bin-Laden). Being fanatic rarely pays off in politics. Let's hope, this will turn ugly for him and his neo-conmen mafia.

BTW: I actually still do not understand, why the airport in San jose is called "Normann Minionetta International". *** this Mr. Minionetta did besides dumping a pile of Amtrak-BS? And why San Jose? Sorry for ignorance. I kinda recall, there is a trend in East Europe lately not to name things after living person. A while ago we had Stalin street coming in the Stalin Square where a big statue of Great Leader was facing Stalin Avenue, but that was a while ago and we got tired of it. Or will we have a Rice Squere, Bush Avenue, Cheney Street soon? I'll rather see Cheney Court, Bush Court, Rumsfeld Court than other kind of street things... a speedy, fair and unbiased Court.

As James Bond said as he was tied up with rope and about to be fed to the sharks in For Your Eyes Only: "We're not dead yet."

I know I hate it flying into San Jose and seeing his name on the terminal. Its almost as bad as when I have to go to the FAA offices and in the lobby theres 8 by 10 photos of Bush, Cheney, and Mineta.

Honestly though Mineta did have a noble career up til about a decade ago. In watching him the past few years, getting all his facts messed up, going 100 percent away from his former ideals etc, etc. I wouldnt be surprised if he has the early stages of dementia. No disrespect to anyone with family members with that terrible disease.

Back