California Zephyr Trouble in Nebraska

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent

Conductor
Amtrak #6(07) is presently stopped in Kenesaw, Nebraska and has been there since the middle of the night. There's a report that this California Zephyr hit an abandoned horse trailer and is waiting for a freight locomotive to be added.

Apparently, the train got moving as soon as I posted it was stopped. It just left Hastings, Nebraska eight hours and fifty-three minutes late.

How in the world does an abandoned horse trailer get on the tracks unless someone put it there, on purpose, maybe?

Also somebody making payments on the trailer. Poof. No more payments. This used to be done with motorhomes back in the 80s and 90s. They'd claim the trailers or motorhomes were stolen by persons unknown.

#6(07) is now stopped in western Iowa. Link in the first post has been updated with a report that the engineer went dead-on-the-law at 2:45 p.m. Another engineer from Ottumwa is on the way. And when the train does get moving again, it may have trouble getting past Osceola: https://www.facebook.com/BnsfInIowa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a photo of the eastbound Zephyr in Ottumwa last night. Looks like the lead Amtrak engine was removed before the freight locomotive was added on. I guess this means there's a Genesis unit sitting in Nebraska today with a damaged nose waiting to be towed to a shop.

Even though no one was hurt are there any precedence for criminal charges in incidents like this?

Even though no one was hurt are there any precedence for criminal charges in incidents like this?
I'm not sure about criminal, but Amtrak's insurance carrier can file a subrogation claim against the trailer's insurance policy and recover their cost of repairs and, possibly, loss of use (depending on state law). If the trailer doesn't have insurance, then the bill goes to the owner of the trailer.

True. But yes, they can pursue the trailer owner's insurance. That much doesn't change.

I've just received word that a BNSF mixed freight train went east through Chariton, Iowa at 5:59 p.m. with an Amtrak Genesis unit as its third engine. Would this be the damaged locomotive from this incident on its way to a shop?

Does't look like CZ 5 yesterday or today is doing well. 5 is losing time in Colorado today and 5 left Chicago over an hour late today(14th)

The Genesis on the freight train is AMTK 155, and it is the one from the accident in Nebraska. It was photographed in Ottumwa, Iowa. Be sure to read the description.

I assume incidents are rare (hopefully)? Taking my first Amtrak trip in a few weeks on the CZ.... this isn't helping.

I assume incidents are rare (hopefully)? Taking my first Amtrak trip in a few weeks on the CZ.... this isn't helping.
Oh yes, these incidents are rare (though not as rare as we'd like). It's even more rare for the locomotive being damaged to the point it has to be replaced.

I was actually on that train! I saw them take off the cow catcher. It was cool and fun but the train was 16 hours late. My brother and grandparents and I were going to Chicago.

There was a drug bust too. And the police dog and the police officer came and searched the whole train. Then we left again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back