California Zephyr Trip report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much everything from DEN to GJT. Especially Glenwood Canyon. I have a amatuer photo of Glenwood Canyon that was so good, my girlfriend enlarged it and had it framed. Its on living room wall at home. You can't even tell it was taken on a moving train. No glass, glare, blur etc. It also gets good as you near the Sierra Nevada's. Near Truckee CA if I remember correctly.

Pretty much everything from DEN to GJT. Especially Glenwood Canyon. I have a amatuer photo of Glenwood Canyon that was so good, my girlfriend enlarged it and had it framed. Its on living room wall at home. You can't even tell it was taken on a moving train. No glass, glare, blur etc. It also gets good as you near the Sierra Nevada's. Near Truckee CA if I remember correctly.
Thanx,

I have a digital camera, should I place camera against window? ;)

Thanx,I have a digital camera, should I place camera against window? ;)
If you are seeing reflections, yes - get as close to the window as possible. Also, if your camera has manual settings strive for a fast shutter speed, no less than 1/250 second and even 1/500 of a second if you can. As you race by things, you need the fast shutter to keep from having blur. Also, if you have the means to increase the ISO that will help with the faster shutter speed. If the camera just has some simple settings, perhaps it has one for action shots - use that one when the train is moving quickly. DON'T use flash against the window. All you'll get is a reflection and it could harm your sensor in the camera.

If you are seeing reflections, yes - get as close to the window as possible. Also, if your camera has manual settings strive for a fast shutter speed, no less than 1/250 second and even 1/500 of a second if you can. As you race by things, you need the fast shutter to keep from having blur. Also, if you have the means to increase the ISO that will help with the faster shutter speed. If the camera just has some simple settings, perhaps it has one for action shots - use that one when the train is moving quickly. DON'T use flash against the window. All you'll get is a reflection and it could harm your sensor in the camera.
Here we go, just as I'm getting ready to retire, I find so many things I don't know didly squat about!!! The camera has a video mode with sound. I caught myself cussing at the Grand Canyon last year,lol! Nikon Cool Pix 4100, 4.0 megapixel???

Here we go, just as I'm getting ready to retire, I find so many things I don't know didly squat about!!! The camera has a video mode with sound. I caught myself cussing at the Grand Canyon last year,lol! Nikon Cool Pix 4100, 4.0 megapixel???
The specs for that camera say:

Shooting modes: Auto, Scene Assistance (Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night portrait),

Scene (Party/Indoor, Beach/Snow, Sunset, Fireworks show, Night landscape,

Close up, Museum, Dusk/Dawn, Copy, Back light, Panorama assist),

Blur detection, Date imprint, Date counter, Digital

I would use the sports setting on the train for the higher shutter speed. If you can try it while riding as a passenger in a car you can get an idea if it will work or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha Steve
Was this The guy
25047795_sjKgA-S.jpg
IHe was the atendent some years ago on M East bound Zephyr trip/

Mahalo for the report

Eric
Aloha back LOL

I think it was. He was a great attendant.

And yes, any place west of Denver is great for taking photos on the Zephyr. If you can look out the back window of the last car, you could get some great shots too.

Of course these recomendations do actually rely on you getting to go through the bloody Rockies!!

I've just got to San Francisco on the CZ and we were diverted through Wyoming thus missing the whole journey through the Rockies betwwen Denver and Salt Lake city. Not very happy about that seeing as it was the main reason for going on the CZ!

Train broke down in tunnel so diverted but we were waiting in Denver for nearly 3 hours after being told that.

As for photos I'd say take photos at an angle to the window and also try and block out any light sources (shut curtains, turn off or away laptops) so you get as few reflections as possible.

Of course these recomendations do actually rely on you getting to go through the bloody Rockies!!
I've just got to San Francisco on the CZ and we were diverted through Wyoming thus missing the whole journey through the Rockies betwwen Denver and Salt Lake city. Not very happy about that seeing as it was the main reason for going on the CZ!

Train broke down in tunnel so diverted but we were waiting in Denver for nearly 3 hours after being told that.

As for photos I'd say take photos at an angle to the window and also try and block out any light sources (shut curtains, turn off or away laptops) so you get as few reflections as possible.
So, why were you diverted, because your train broke down? ;)

Nope, a freight train had broken down/derailed/crashed* in the Moffat tunnel ahead of us by the time we'd gone into Denver.

They said over the tannoy that it was likely to take 4 hours to clear so we were going to going through Wyoming instead and anybody wanting to go to any of the stops between Denver and Salt Lake City had to get off and then go into buses.

But we were waiting for nearly 3 hours for a UP engine to take us the different route.

Now if it was a derailment and not just a train broken down that needs to be pushed/pulled in/out thats fair enough, it's not going to get sorted quickly but considering how long we waited anyway (and were also late getting into SLC in the end as well) maybe it would have been better for us to stay there and not inconvienience so many customers?

*Depends on what version you might have heard from different people on the train (conductor/porter/other conductors/customers who phoned friends who phoned Amtrak and were told different things)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back