California Zephyr Tardiness

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midland Valley

Lead Service Attendant
I'm not sure about cold weather speed restrictions but didn't they used to slow down to 60 mph when the temp reached zero? It has been pretty cold through the area. However even running at 60 they shouldn't have lost 7 hours from denver to chicago. The Burlington must be balled up. The question about food on late trains, they would not be responsible for anything after the regualar dinning schedule would they? So you just set there and take it like a good rail fan.

Well, I would give at least 1/3 upwards of 1/2 of the delay due to crew delays. With the OTP like it has been, crews are being bussed all over the place to meet #6. Now I watched last nights #6 as well, and I agree there were times where it would lose an hour or more between stations, which wouldnt be crew related.

If the train is operating late, the dining room will continue providing meals to sleeper and coach pax at their regularly scheduled times (breakfast 6:30a-9a, lunch 12noon-2p, dinner 5-8p) as long as one of these meal periods will not be interrupted by an arrival into the final destination. Sleeping car pax are entitled to all extra meals served until their station is reached. Usually there is enough extra food stored in the dining car to serve one additional meal for each time than scheduled and for meals beyond a full days (doesn't happen too often) the crew will offer whatever food selections remain for each meal period.

The cafe lounge will also remain open until the train the train is within an hour of its final destination or it is 11pm, whichever occurs earlier. These practices have been the norm for years and are necessary since many of the trains do operate very late and the passengers would be irate otherwise.

Regarding the OTP between Denver and Chicago, trains on this route rarely lose any time on this segment hosted by the BNSF. I would be much quicker to attribute any delays experienced in that segment to extensions of those received before Denver on the YouPee tracks (expiring train crews, train out of "slot" for BNSF, etc.) or severe weather in the region. BNSF is a very respectable railroad and dispatches Amtrak trains to the best of their ability nearly 100% of the time, unlike the YouPee RR.

Yes! The Burlington is indeed. But they lost an additional 7 hours (or so) from the time they left Denver yesterday. Now for todays CZ, what is going on? The train had been running quite late but is reported by the Amtrak webpage to arrive early. Did they just beam them all up to Chicago? The train can't make up 5 hours can it? They were 6 hours late at Hastings today.

The estimated arrival and departure times don't actually mean anything. Its a hypothesized time that assumes 1. the train doesn’t lose any more time and 2. it takes advantage of every minute of padding. I don't even bother reading those. One can basically calculate it much more accurately doing it themselves by using the schedule. This is my problem with the whole automated system (including "Julie"). People who are not that familiar with a train may be an hour or 2 away from their nearest station and call "Julie" 5 hours before they board. If the train is running 4 hours late, Julie will most likely tell them it is going to arrive 2 hours and 15 minutes late. This is ridiculous in 95% of the cases because it causes these passengers to arrive expecting a 2 hour late train, and end up getting a 4 or 5 hour late train, and sometimes worse. In the 50 or so Amtrak trips I have taken over my life time, only once or twice has this system ever been accurate. Granted, it is generally quite accurate on the short distance routes, and on the information side (just getting the basic status of a train), but on the Long Distance routes it is worthless for ETD and ETA.

The best example of this was the other summer in San Jose, CA. "Julie" was telling hundreds of customers that the train was running an hour late, and was due to arrive 12 minutes late. I knew this was total BS, and I told a few people who I could without being socially awkward. Sure enough, that #14 arrived over 2 hours late. These passengers were forced to say goodbye to their loved ones earlier, skip dinner with their families, etc, because of the fault in the system.

I had talked about my problem with this system in a post a couple of months ago in which we discussed "Julie" in great detail. For all of us on the Board, and those that are familiar at all with railroading, this is not big deal. A bit of sense goes a long way. Its only those that are merely traveling by train to get from point A to point B because they have no other option that it presents a problem.

Weather has been a problem as of late but when 1 delay happens with 6 it's a chain reaction. I know one of the Engineers who work out of Chicago on 5/6 and he said he has at times has had to be vanned to meet the train or be told to report on duty later. He said Track in CO and UT is a big part of the issue as is weather and freight trains. 6 almost never arrives before Dark most days.

Well Amtrak-P42, out of fairness I have to argue a few of your points. Train 14 has roughly a full hour of padding built in its route between Salinas, CA and the next station of San Jose, CA. I have seen this train make up that full hour (as recent as last week when we left SNS 50 minutes late and arrived SJC 5 minutes early). I agree that it doesn't make up the time more often than it does, but the "Julie" automated phone and website train status systems MUST predict that the train will make up all possible time in the schedule to avoid having would-be passengers miss their trains.

I don't know that the system told HUNDREDS of people the train would be arriving into SJC 12 minutes late... possibly a few dozen (including the family members picking people up)? I agree that it is frustrating to get to the station and then have the train get later and later than the system predicts, but in most cases the automated train status systems are *usually* accurate to within a half-hour or so of a longhaul train's arrival time into a station AFTER it has left its previous station on the line. This is not to say that I haven't waited a few hours myself beyond the predicted time (on numerous occasions) for a train after it departed the previous station, but usually that is not the case.

Part of the problems the system has are that the conductors do not call in the arrival, departure, and running times often enough so they can be entered and calculated in the system. In general, though, the system does become more accurate the closer a train gets to the station. I'd rather wait around an extra half-hour or so than to miss my train by a few minutes because the system was too pessimistic about its ETA. Certain trains (like the Southwest Chief) can and do make up most of their lateness as they progress along. Unfortunately all our longhaul trains (and host railroads) are not created equal.

jccollins said:
Well Amtrak-P42, out of fairness I have to argue a few of your points.  Train 14 has roughly a full hour of padding built in its route between Salinas, CA and the next station of San Jose, CA.  I have seen this train make up that full hour (as recent as last week when we left SNS 50 minutes late and arrived SJC 5 minutes early).  I agree that it doesn't make up the time more often than it does, but the "Julie" automated phone and website train status systems MUST predict that the train will make up all possible time in the schedule to avoid having would-be passengers miss their trains.
I don't know that the system told HUNDREDS of people the train would be arriving into SJC 12 minutes late... possibly a few dozen (including the family members picking people up)?  I agree that it is frustrating to get to the station and then have the train get later and later than the system predicts, but in most cases the automated train status systems are *usually* accurate to within a half-hour or so of a longhaul train's arrival time into a station AFTER it has left its previous station on the line.  This is not to say that I haven't waited a few hours myself beyond the predicted time (on numerous occasions) for a train after it departed the previous station, but usually that is not the case.  

Part of the problems the system has are that the conductors do not call in the arrival, departure, and running times often enough so they can be entered and calculated in the system.  In general, though, the system does become more accurate the closer a train gets to the station.  I'd rather wait around an extra half-hour or so than to miss my train by a few minutes because the system was too pessimistic about its ETA.  Certain trains (like the Southwest Chief) can and do make up most of their lateness as they progress along.  Unfortunately all our longhaul trains (and host railroads) are not created equal.
Well ok. In all fairness, I do tend to exaggerate when I get upset and this was a rather soar spot for me. There were probably 30-40 people in the waiting room. Yes #14 can make up time, true, but I was only going off the pattern of that month, during which time I was visiting my old home town (Palo Alto, CA). 14 had not run near on time once in the previous 5 days. In terms of me being upset about having to wait in a station to long, nah, not me :) , I live for late trains. Nothing makes me happier then being told a train will be an hour later then originally expected. My thoughts were more towards those who have absolutely no idea how train travel works. Lets take for example that maybe they are more familiar with air travel in which the majority of the delays occur before take off and before landing (circling in the air, etc). If this is the case, then the person can quite safely assume there aren’t going to be any trains circling San Jose, CA before arriving and thus, the person could also assume that a call 3-4 hours prior to the scheduled arrival of a train would be the same as calling 30 minutes before arrival. Of course, we know differently.

The "Dark Territory", as I call it, is quite common here on the crescent. 9/10 times the conductor wont report to the dispatcher between Hattiesburg, MS and New Orleans, LA. Luckily not a great deal of passengers board between these stops, because 19/20 could literally be anywhere. I have seen it get through to New Orleans 30 minutes early then last report, and I have seen it get in 4 hours later. In this case, granted, it is better to be accurate rather then pessimistic.

The only time I think I have seen the system be pessimistic on a regular basis is on the sunset limited. #1 could be 2 hours of NOL running 2 minutes late, but the system will automatically give the train an estimated arrival of about 2.15 hours late. In this case, the pessimism works out. On the BNSF routes, like you said, I would say baring the exceptional case, its 99% accurate. I agree, it’s are good friends at CSX and UP that mess up the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back