California Zephyr questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nccb

Train Attendant
Pondering a once-in-a-lifetime father/sons trip for the spring (April/May) and am looking into the Zephyr. The kids are 10 & 7 (two boys). I have some questions that I know folks here can answer....

1) Are the detours for the Zephyr still in place from September flooding, or is the original route in place with all the scenery?

2) I am in NC and would have to first fly to a city on the Zephyr route. At first I thought I should just start in Chicago and do both nights and have the full ride experience. But we've never done an Amtrak ride, not even a small one. Should I instead fly to Denver and start the trip there? This would be one night instead of two, have all the awesome scenery & views. I have to fly to start the trip no matter what, so what would you suggest - Chicago or Denver? The price & hassle to fly to Chicago & Denver is roughly the same for us.

3) I am going to try & book with points, but I first have to get the points on Chase Sapphire Preferred (about 8 weeks), wait for them to post, transfer to AGR, then book. What is the cancellation/rebooking policy? Could I book with credit card now to hold the room, get the points in ~8 weeks, cancel my credit card reservation, then immediately rebook with points? (I may also post this question in the AGR forum).

4) It looks like people either love or hate the Zephyr and a lot depends on cabin functionality & service. If I avoid coach (i.e. book a sleeper) and luck out with service, what's your best guess - will we love our first Amtrak experience?

Pondering a once-in-a-lifetime father/sons trip for the spring (April/May) and am looking into the Zephyr. Have a points question....

I am going to try & book with points, but I first have to get the points on Chase Sapphire Preferred (about 8 weeks), wait for them to post, transfer to AGR, then book. What is the cancellation/rebooking policy? Could I book with credit card now to hold the room, get the points in ~8 weeks, cancel my credit card reservation, then immediately rebook with points?

1) Currently on it's regular route.

2) I would say either/or. I think you'd be fine starting in Chicago. Plus, if you flew to Denver, you would have to overnight there. You may be able to catch an early flight into O'hara or Midway and take a train to Union Station on the same day the Zephyr leaves.

3) I can't answer this one. Others with a lot of knowledge will be along soon to answer it.

4) I took my first LD (Amtrak) trip on the CL and the CZ and had no complaints and would do it again. A lot depends on your personal expectations, so please read other's opinions with this in mind.

:hi: Happy New Year and Welcome to AU!!!

1) The Regular Denver to Emeryville Route of the Zephyr is through the Rockies of Colorado, Utah, Nevada and the Sierra Nevadas from Reno to Sacramento and on into Emeryville! (North Oakland/the AmBus to San Francisco crosses the bay Bridge from the Amtrak Station to San Francisco and is Included on your Ticket/Award!) Best Scenery in North America! When things like the Washouts, Unaturaly Heavy SnowFall or Extreme Trackwork happen, the Zephyr is Routed from Denver North to Wyoming,to Salt lake City and then on into Reno etc. You miss the Colorado Rockies when this happens which is Rare!

2) I recommend Flying to Denver since its the same Price and Denver is the Zone Border for AGR Awards! It's a 1 Zone Award from Denver to Emeryville versus a 2 Zone Award from Chicago and the Chicago to denver Route isn't anything to Write Home About with Cornfields, Prairie etc. for scenery and it's @ Night so yall would be asleep Anyway! The point about Spending the Night/getting from Denver Airport is a Consideration/ Chicago O'Hare and Midway both have trains to get you to Downtown Close to Union Station

so Consider the 2 Zone Award from CHI-SFO, its Cheaper than Paying for a Night in Denver and less Hassle! You could also, for the Same Amount of Points, Transfer in Sacramento (Nine Hour Layover but the California Rail Museum is next Door to the Station!)and Ride the Coast starlight to Portland or even Seattle, both Great Cities and Wonderful Scenery from the PPC Lounge Car! Fly Home from there!

3)This is a Very Popular Route and often Sells Out @ High Bucket (Prices) but with AGR Points it doesnt matter what the Rail Fare and Room Charges are, same Amount of Points! :) You can Consider Booking 2 Roomettes Across from each other (Upstairs #2-#10 is Best/30,000, Points Denver-SFO/ 2 Zone Award CHI-SFO/ is 40,000 ), the Family Bedroom (Downstairs/ Denver-SFO 25,000 Points/ 2 Zone CHI-SFO 40,000) or a Regular Bedroom/Recommended!!! :wub: (E is Best for 25,000 Points/2 Zone Award 40,000 Points) Go Ahead and Book as a Paid Trip, then call AGR when you have your Points and let the AGR Agent handle the Booking for you/Do NOT Cancel the Paid Rez First/you may Lose the Room during the Transition from paid to Award Travel!) Do this @ Least 30 Days ahead so you don't have to pay the 10% Cancellation Penalty Amtrak Now Charges for Late Cancellations on Paid Trips! Youll get a Full Refund to your Card his Way!

4)Memories that Last a Lifetime Come from stuff like this, Book it, ya'll Will Love It! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Needing a room in Denver is correct and it's a bit of a ways and a $70 cab ride ( there is public trans for about $10 pp) to get to the temporary Den station and the cz leaves at 8 am. The cz leaves Chicago at 2 pm I'm not familiar with the best way to get to the station from O'Hare.

Yes, you can book your reservation now with your credit card and then cancel and rebook using AGR points. However be aware if at that time if there is 1 room left (that is that you hold the last room), in the 1 second between when the paid room is cancelled and the AGR reservation is made, someone else may grab the room leaving you (literally) out in the cold. However, the chance is very small, but it's possible.

The cancelation policy is that it must be cancelled at least 15 days prior to departure to receive a full refund. (This is for a sleeper, coach tickets can be cancelled up to departure.) AGR reservations can be canceled up to departure.

You can also purchase up to 10,000 AGR points (not including bonuses) per calendar year. If you did this on 12/31, it would have been possible to make purchases at 11:59 pm and 12:01, since 2013 and 2014 are different calendar years!

Thanks for the quick response. By your "1 second" scenario - do you mean that there is like a virtual waitlist where someone else would be in a queue to get the room instantly? Or would they literally have to have log into the site at the exact moment between cancellation & re-reservation?

You might consider, if you start in Denver, connecting to the Coast Starlight and extending the trip northbound to Portland or even Seattle, That way, you'd get two nights on the train for ONE-ZONE worth of points! Beautiful views of Mt Shasta and the Cascades in the morning. Might well make it worth the hassle of an overnight in Denver and the transportation from the airport to station.

The down-side of that connection is a late-night transfer in Sacramento with children. The renovated station is beautiful, but how much can you appreciate that at midnight? The late night can be avoided by extending the CZ to Emeryville, and catching the Coast Starlight earlier in the evening as it heads north out of the Bay area. I've not tried that with AGR. Does anyone know, are they willing to do that on points, or do you have to pay for the extension?

To get to Union Station from O'Hare, board the Blue Line (which starts/ends at O'Hare). If you do not have many bags and can climb stairs easily, take it to the Clinton stop. Walk north 2 blocks to Union Station. If you have bags you can not carry up stairs easily or you can't climb stairs easily, take the State & Jackson stop which has an elevator. Upon exiting the elevator, turn right and walk 1/2 block to Jackson Ave. Turn right and walk west on Jackson for 5-6 blocks to Union Station.

Thanks for the quick response. By your "1 second" scenario - do you mean that there is like a virtual waitlist where someone else would be in a queue to get the room instantly? Or would they literally have to have log into the site at the exact moment between cancellation & re-reservation?
What I mean is between the time you or the AGR agent hits the return key to cancel the paid reservation and when the AGR agent hits the return key to make the AGR reservation. As I said, the chance is slim (less than .000001%) but it's possible.
I've also merged your two threads together into one thread.

April/May are near the prime probability months for high water on the Colorado River, depending on how much snow fell during winter and how warm the spring is, which can accelerate the runoff. Not likely to force the CZ to be rerouted through Wyoming, but you might certainly notice the high water levels.

It's been extremely dry so far this winter in the California Sierra Nevada, so no telling yet how much snow you might see at Donner Pass in April/May.

I agree with other commenters that the CZ is the best scenary route of all on Amtrak. Boarding in Chicago might improve sleep quality on the second night out across Utah/Nevada. So I would be inclined to board the train in Chicago instead of Denver for the trip westbound.

And if you decide to also ride it eastbound, you could then detrain in Denver if you didn't want yet another night on the train.

The cancelation policy is that it must be cancelled at least 15 days prior to departure to receive a full refund. (This is for a sleeper, coach tickets can be cancelled up to departure.) AGR reservations can be canceled up to departure.
Isn't there a 10% refund cancellation fee?

Only if you want a refund in cash or to your credit card. Otherwise, you get a 100% credit voucher towards future Amtrak travel,

I rechecked flights to Chicago & Denver as my starting points and looks like I would save about $300 in airfare if I start in Denver instead of Chicago. I have hotel points so a night there isn't a concern.

So I guess the main question is - will 1 night on the train (instead of 2) ruin the "unforgettableness" of the trip for the kids?

Only if you want a refund in cash or to your credit card. Otherwise, you get a 100% credit voucher towards future Amtrak travel,
Okay, thanks for the info and clarification!

I rechecked flights to Chicago & Denver as my starting points and looks like I would save about $300 in airfare if I start in Denver instead of Chicago. I have hotel points so a night there isn't a concern.

So I guess the main question is - will 1 night on the train (instead of 2) ruin the "unforgettableness" of the trip for the kids?
It will still be an unforgettable trip if you start in Denver instead of Chicago. The climb out of Denver to the Continental Divide is best viewed from the Superliner Sightseer Lounge Car, so I would advise going to that car as soon as possible after boarding in Denver, as the seats will fill quite quickly for this part of the ride. Other traverses through Colorado River canyons west of the Divide are just as scenic in the SSL, but you probably don't want to spend your entire first day in the lounge car.

Return to the lounge car the next morning when departing Reno to listen to the docents from the California RR Museum (Sacramento) describe the journey over Donner Pass along the route of the first transcontinental railroad (completed in 1869).

If you use reward points for your trip, and are leaving from Denver, you can add the Coast Starlight on to the end of the zephyr leg by booking a trip from Denver to Portland/Seattle/ etc...This gives you more than one night on a train and a chance to ride the second most beautiful train route in the U.S. It is the same amount of points whether you end in Emeryville or Portland/Seattle or any of the other cities in that zone west of Denver.

Slasharoo - I'm already cramped on time as I'm trying to hit SF, Yosemite, and possibly either Grand Canyon or LA in a short time. So I'm not sure I could swing another leg.

If you think your boys have the patience for the longer trip, I would start it in Chicago. That way, you're waking up by Denver all settled in the train for the good part of the trip and you don't have to do the Denver hotel hassle.

Slasharoo - I looked at the schedules for the zephyr and starlight in case this was feasible for the LA part of my trip and I don't understand how I would make this connection. The cz gets into emeryville at 4pm and the cs gets in at 8am the next day right? So I'd need a hotel in emeryville?

Slasharoo - I looked at the schedules for the zephyr and starlight in case this was feasible for the LA part of my trip and I don't understand how I would make this connection. The cz gets into emeryville at 4pm and the cs gets in at 8am the next day right? So I'd need a hotel in emeryville?
if it's on a guest reward ticket, they would put you on another train, the San Joaquin, and then a bus, getting to LA after midnight. Not the best way to spend vacation time. The Starlight connections work well going northbound. If you want to take the Coast Starlight south, you would have to overnight on your own at Davis, Sacramento or Emeryville and then board the following day, also as a seperate paid ticket.

I didn't see that you were pressed for time on the original post, so try the one nighter from Denver, or the two nighter from Chicago and if it goes well, start planning your next vacation on the flight home...

if it's on a guest reward ticket, they would put you on another train, the San Joaquin, and then a bus, getting to LA after midnight. Not the best way to spend vacation time. The Starlight connections work well going northbound. If you want to take the Coast Starlight south, you would have to overnight on your own at Davis, Sacramento or Emeryville and then board the following day, also as a seperate paid ticket.I didn't see that you were pressed for time on the original post, so try the one nighter from Denver, or the two nighter from Chicago and if it goes well, start planning your next vacation on the flight home...
Since the award travel is in sleeper and the San Joaquin's do not have sleepers, AGR will permit the overnight connection between the westbound Zephyr and the southbound Coast Starlight if desired. The hotel stay is at the passenger's expense.

Thanks PRR 60, I did not know that. Is that part of the latest regulation change? I will try to remember that for my next west coast trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back