California Zephyr question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radsmom

Train Attendant
Hi

The only big route we have not done (bucket list item too) is to take the CZ across the Rockies. My hubby just found out he has a week off in the end of July and we are trying to put something together quickly. It has been a few years since I researched this route and I am short on time to plan and book. I did a few searches but I feel better asking the experts here for most up to date into.

Is the CZ following the normal route this summer - no planned deviations thru WY or something?

Is it better for crossing the Rockies to go westbound or eastbound? The fares are much cheaper to go EMY to CHI but if it is more advantageous we would consider either.

Anything else I should take into consideration?

As always - thank you for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
No scheduled diversions have been announced at the moment that I'm aware of.

I think most people prefer to take the CZ westbound.

Could be the perception that San Francisco is more romantic leads to more people wanting to get there on the train, also seen as somewhat romantic by the general public.

Could be the perception that San Francisco is more romantic leads to more people wanting to get there on the train, also seen as somewhat romantic by the general public.
thanks - so in your opinion if I can save $500 by going from Chicago there's no good reason to not go that direction?

I think most people prefer to take the CZ westbound.
Is there a reason why? I looked at the timetables trying to see why the fare was so much more.
It also could be because the California Zephyr is considered the most scenic Amtrak route, it gets a lot of publicity and therefore a lot of interest from travelers who want to "do the train', particularly those from Europe. Foreign travelers tend to book early and not cancel itineraries thus driving up the bucket cost. Foreign travelers (aside from those coming from Asia) also usually arrive in the east and travel west. It could also be that there are tour groups which have booked the train from east to west for the dates of your desired travel.

Thanks for the help - I booked 2 roomettes EMY to CHI - very excited!!

For the OP---

Be aware that if you are traveling past Denver to or from the coast on warm-to-hot summer days, the track is subject to thermal disruptions (I'm forgetting the actual term at the moment), which means that it changes shape ever so slightly and thus the train will be moving at reduced speeds. Therefore, there will likely be delays into Denver or into Salt Lake. Also, there's often track construction performed in the summer, which can delay the CZ. Last summer # 6 was delayed in Glenwood Springs when I took it because of said repairs. It turned out to be a several hour layover there, which was nice in order to explore downtown a bit. However, if you're planning on being at your trip terminus at a specific time, it is more than likely that it won't happen.

It's also worth noting that because of the delays and the capacity of the trains, the diner tends to run out of food. (I got to experience the infamous Dinty Moore rations on the CZ last summer.) So packing some snacks and/or picking up some up along the way could be a wise move, particularly if traveling with kids/older adults. As always, flexibility is the key to successful and stress-reduced travel.

thanks - so in your opinion if I can save $500 by going from Chicago there's no good reason to not go that direction?
Exactly

If the train is running late going eastbound, one may miss seeing the best scenery of the Rockies in daylight.

For the OP---

Be aware that if you are traveling past Denver to or from the coast on warm-to-hot summer days, the track is subject to thermal disruptions (I'm forgetting the actual term at the moment), which means that it changes shape ever so slightly and thus the train will be moving at reduced speeds. Therefore, there will likely be delays into Denver or into Salt Lake. Also, there's often track construction performed in the summer, which can delay the CZ. Last summer # 6 was delayed in Glenwood Springs when I took it because of said repairs. It turned out to be a several hour layover there, which was nice in order to explore downtown a bit. However, if you're planning on being at your trip terminus at a specific time, it is more than likely that it won't happen.

It's also worth noting that because of the delays and the capacity of the trains, the diner tends to run out of food. (I got to experience the infamous Dinty Moore rations on the CZ last summer.) So packing some snacks and/or picking up some up along the way could be a wise move, particularly if traveling with kids/older adults. As always, flexibility is the key to successful and stress-reduced travel.

Thanks for that info - we are quite familiar with how that goes! Not our first rodeo on Amtrak but it has been a few years. :)

To me, one of the most stunning sights was at the east end of the Rockies, before the descent down into Denver eastbound. Denver was visible, and so were the Great Plains east of it. Now I know why they are called the Great Plains.

If the Zephyr's running on time, it's set up so that you get to experience the mountains (in both California and Utah/Colorado) at the best times - a bit frustrating for us who live in Salt Lake as the train times are in the middle of the night, but it's for a good reason. And the sun tends to be down for the most boring/flat parts of Nevada and such. It shouldn't matter which direction you're going. Again - as long as it's reasonably on schedule.

For the OP---

Thanks for that info - we are quite familiar with how that goes! Not our first rodeo on Amtrak but it has been a few years. :)
Good...then you'll have a delightful time! I thought the hiccups worth mentioning, as it was on one of the delayed CZs last summer that I encountered a middle-aged jerk, er, gentleman in my sleeper whine about the delay with the ultimate rejoinder "I'm never taking the train again!".

RSG, I think the word you were looking for is kinks (heat related problems with the rails).

I have done both directions many times. You will enjoy your trip. Ive experienced a run on desserts that run out quick but little else. Snacks always good to have though. I really enjoy coming down the front range into Denver. Quite a sight.

We did the Zephyr last summer from west to east (went onto LSL to Boston in Albany).

It did have to slow down for the tracks being warm but was kind of nice to enjoy the scenery at a slower pace.

They did run out of a few things the last day in the dining car.

Our train was about 3 hours late, had to wait a few times for freight trains passing.

Don't recall what made it that late.

Absolutely beautiful trip ! Have fun!

Be aware that if you are traveling past Denver to or from the coast on warm-to-hot summer days, the track is subject to thermal disruptions (I'm forgetting the actual term at the moment), which means that it changes shape ever so slightly and thus the train will be moving at reduced speeds.
They're called "sun kinks", as shown here: https://www.google.com/search?q=sun+kinks+railroad&rlz=1C1GGGE_en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiqoOSdyqDNAhUJc1IKHXD6AMYQsAQIJg&biw=1748&bih=877

Thank you all for your advice and input.

We are paid and ticketed - very excited to do this trip - I have been waiting a long time to make it happen and I am really looking forward to it. We went ahead a booked 2 roomettes across from each other. Our last long distance trip was a few years ago so I need to go dig out all of my train stuff - lol.

Routinely take the CZ from Nebraska to Martinez, CA...Summer and Winter. Scenery is amazing both East and Westbound. We have on occasion been detoured through Wyoming during the summer and the train most always runs late due to heat. It is an amazing trip that we have made once or twice a year for the last ten years. Enjoy.

Be aware that if you are traveling past Denver to or from the coast on warm-to-hot summer days, the track is subject to thermal disruptions (I'm forgetting the actual term at the moment), which means that it changes shape ever so slightly and thus the train will be moving at reduced speeds.
They're called "sun kinks", as shown here: https://www.google.com/search?q=sun+kinks+railroad&rlz=1C1GGGE_en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiqoOSdyqDNAhUJc1IKHXD6AMYQsAQIJg&biw=1748&bih=877
Okay, my family is leaving on our big round trip cross country Amtrak adventure in 13 days, and this link just scared the begeezus out of me! Seriously, but also hilarious!!!!!! OMG, what have I done?!?!

Okay, my family is leaving on our big round trip cross country Amtrak adventure in 13 days, and this link just scared the begeezus out of me! Seriously, but also hilarious!!!!!! OMG, what have I done?!?!
I would point out that most of the pictures are extreme examples of the condition. In most cases any departure from the straight and narrow is minor, but enough to slow down speeds significantly, thus the delays. Of course, if you're onboard a train and can't see any problems it's easy to say "Hey, it's a beautiful day, why are we moving so slowly?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back