California Zephyr on TV

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanghai

Engineer
If you can get the RFD channel, there is the show, California Zephyr, Silver Thread through the West, Grand Hotel on Wheels being presented at 6:00pm, EDT.

I have Direct TV, that has the RFD channel at number 345. It will also show at 4:00am, Tuesday, May 26 - tomorrow.

Anyone watching the Coca-Cola 600 NASCAR race??

If you can get the RFD channel, there is the show, California Zephyr, Silver Thread through the West, Grand Hotel on Wheels being presented at 6:00pm, EDT.I have Direct TV, that has the RFD channel at number 345. It will also show at 4:00am, Tuesday, May 26 - tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up-it will show on Comcast (ch 203) at 4pm today mst, tues 2-3 am, sat 10-11 am, 6/1 4-5 pm will be the Super Chief with more times scheduled in june. Also showing the Rio Grande ski train on 6/6, if anyone is interested.

B)

The network is RFD-TV. It takes its name from the old Rural Free Delivery mail service to people living in the more rural areas of the United States. Its content is oriented to what farmers and similar rural groups may like to watch.

It's a community oriented broadcaster airing a lot of public TV series aimed at the farming lifestyle, including dutch-oven cooking, tractors, polkas and the like.

RFD-TV airs on DISH channel 231.

Thanks....guess that is just not a channel I have ever watched.

Me either. Just watched the show-we really enjoyed it! Hubby wants to see a show on TV of the 'new' California Zephyr.

He asked if they still use the dome cars regularly. Don't they use them on the Empire Builder still?

Me either. Just watched the show-we really enjoyed it! Hubby wants to see a show on TV of the 'new' California Zephyr.

He asked if they still use the dome cars regularly. Don't they use them on the Empire Builder still?
No, Amtrak only owns one dome car and it's never on the Empire Builder, at least in use. It occasionally pops up on certain California runs, and for the last few years each fall it comes east to run on the Adirondack. But otherwise, it doesn't see service all that often.

No, Amtrak only owns one dome car and it's never on the Empire Builder, at least in use. It occasionally pops up on certain California runs, and for the last few years each fall it comes east to run on the Adirondack. But otherwise, it doesn't see service all that often.

That's really too bad. Hubby showed some real interest when they were taliking about the dome cars. When he was about 6 or 7, he took the Shasta Daylight from Oakland(?) to Redding and still remembers fondly riding in the Dome Car.

That's really too bad. Hubby showed some real interest when they were taliking about the dome cars. When he was about 6 or 7, he took the Shasta Daylight from Oakland(?) to Redding and still remembers fondly riding in the Dome Car.
Well on the California Zephry and every other Long Distance train West of the Mississippi you still have Sight-seer Lounges, Which are the next best thing.

Well on the California Zephry and every other Long Distance train West of the Mississippi you still have Sight-seer Lounges, Which are the next best thing.
Or put it another way, agreeing with all above, domes and superliner cars are not the same thing. Yet they are undeniably similar and one could confuse the two. Especially full length domes,as the one in question is.

But in fact, most domes were kind of short, just 24 seats, and looked like a camel hump.

Yeah, I showed him the sightseer lounge car on the Zephyr, so I think it will still be lots of fun. At least if we can get a seat!!! :lol: I think it was more for the nostalgia factor in his case. If you guys got a chance to watch the show, it was interesting how the decline & cancellation was described before Amtrak reinstated it. They described lower ridership levels, so they cut back on meal service, then staff, then prices, then (I think) they cut back on runs, then stopped altogether. Sound familiar? :rolleyes: Are we learning yet?

I really enjoyed this TV show about the CZ. Very interesting. Thanks for posting this Shanghai. ;)

Anyone knowing when something else like this is airing on TV please share.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get the RFD channel, there is the show, California Zephyr, Silver Thread through the West, Grand Hotel on Wheels being presented at 6:00pm, EDT.I have Direct TV, that has the RFD channel at number 345. It will also show at 4:00am, Tuesday, May 26 - tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up-it will show on Comcast (ch 203) at 4pm today mst, tues 2-3 am, sat 10-11 am, 6/1 4-5 pm will be the Super Chief with more times scheduled in june. Also showing the Rio Grande ski train on 6/6, if anyone is interested.

B)
that's some HD channel which im not subscribed too.

I really enjoyed this TV show about the CZ. Very interesting. Thanks for posting this Shanghai. ;) Anyone knowing when something else like this is airing on TV please share.
RFD usually reruns the train show on Saturday mornings at 7:00AM eastern time. Keep looking at rhe listings, alot of times they have model train shows (usually around Cristmas). They have run alot of shows featuring urban lines from the 30's and 40's, alway good TV.

GregL

B)
that's some HD channel which im not subscribed too.
It's not an HD channel here. The call sign here is RFDTV. I just went thru the listings on the cable menu & found it that way.

It is not HD on Dish Network either. I don't have HD but I get the RFDTV channel. I was unaware I had it before it was mentioned in this thread. I guess I did not think it was a channel I would be interested in. I may have missed some good TV shows. :(

I found it on my Dish Network schedule Ch 231 titled Trains and Locomotives, airs (reairs) 11am Saturday, May 5.

im talking about the comcast channel 203

I think the best way to find it is look for the call letters RFDTV, don't be concerned about the channel#... In SLC Utah, on Comcast, ch#203 is not in HD. At least not with my package. I have the platinum pkg, no extra HD channels-because we don't have an HDTV set.

Of course the ch# could be different with the other packages offered. At least that's what I've noticed.

i don't get it. i went to the stations website clicked in find RFDTV entered my zip then it ask for my name and email and the 2 comcast centers in the area and then it gave me email form to send to the manager i guess. i also searched all the channels i have none are RFDTV :(

i don't get it. i went to the stations website clicked in find RFDTV entered my zip then it ask for my name and email and the 2 comcast centers in the area and then it gave me email form to send to the manager i guess. i also searched all the channels i have none are RFDTV :(
I guess they must not have it in your area then :( I had not the checked out the channel until this posting about the zephyr. It's kind of a cool farmer/rancher/rural type channel. If you want I'll look at the video again & get info on who produced it, maybe you can find it in the library or rent/buy it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back