California Zephyr Lateness

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunchaser

Conductor
Hi all,

Does anyone know why the CZ has been running late (3+hours) the last couple of days?

I checked amtrak.com, but no info there.

It's supposed to be done with the detour, isn't it?

I belive all the track work re-routes are done. Looks like the westbound that left CUS on 6/17 departed an hour late and things just got worse from there. I have noticed that historically the CZ seems to lose more time over BNSF territory rather than UP.

Every time there is heavy rain, slow orders cover the BNSF track, this kills the CZ's timekeeping, there was heavy rain here in iowa over the weekend (multiple inches) so there are probably several slow orders on the route until BNSF can stablalize things again. 50mph slow orders are fine for coal trains, but they ruin the CZ.

Amtrak's own website says that the main cause of CZ delays are:

1. Track and Signals. Mostly on BNSF.

2. Train Interference. Mostly on UP.

3. Operational. Mostly on UP.

Amtrak's own website says that the main cause of CZ delays are:

1. Track and Signals. Mostly on BNSF.

2. Train Interference. Mostly on UP.

3. Operational. Mostly on UP.
The OP was asking if anyone knew the SPECIFIC reason the CZ has been delayed lately. All trains have delays at some point for the reasons you posted.

That's what I'm talking about. In the summer, it usually is not that late, in fact it usually arrives early into SLC; around 10:20 to 10:25 pm. I hope the issue resolves itself before next week! :blink:

That's what I'm talking about. In the summer, it usually is not that late, in fact it usually arrives early into SLC; around 10:20 to 10:25 pm. I hope the issue resolves itself before next week! :blink:
Same here. I don't want to be stuck in SLC overnight because I missed my bus connection! (Luckily, it was booked direct through Amtrak, so hopefully they'll take care of me if I miss it.)

Same here. I don't want to be stuck in SLC overnight because I missed my bus connection! (Luckily, it was booked direct through Amtrak, so hopefully they'll take care of me if I miss it.)
Bus connection?

If you booked through Amtrak, they will take care of you.

There are plenty of hotels here in SLC.

I just don't want us to be hanging out at the little station for an extended length of time, especially at night.

Bus connection?

I just don't want us to be hanging out at the little station for an extended length of time, especially at night.
Yep. Amtrak has connections along the old Pioneer (essentially a codeshare with Greyhound), and I'm going up to Twin Falls. The bus leaves at 12:05 AM, and it doesn't wait for the train. I've also got conflicting answers on whether it's guaranteed or not from Amtrak agents (some say it is, some say it's not.)

For the record, I booked it as one leg, and went with the default connections that Amtrak gave me (I didn't "force" that specific bus connection.)

Bus connection?

Yep. Amtrak has connections along the old Pioneer (essentially a codeshare with Greyhound), and I'm going up to Twin Falls. The bus leaves at 12:05 AM, and it doesn't wait for the train. I've also got conflicting answers on whether it's guaranteed or not from Amtrak agents (some say it is, some say it's not.)

For the record, I booked it as one leg, and went with the default connections that Amtrak gave me (I didn't "force" that specific bus connection.)
I didn't know you could connect up to Twin Falls. I'm sure someone here could confirm about the lateness/missing connections issues. I've never been on a train that was late enough to miss a connection.

I have noticed that historically the CZ seems to lose more time over BNSF territory rather than UP.
I agree with you, if by history you mean 3 years. Prior to that it was just the opposite.
Right, should have been more specific as to the term "historical".

Apparently there are slow orders on the Moffat Sub that would explain any delay between DEN-WIP. All the Zephyr talk has me itching for my CHI-GJT round trip in 78 days. (Not like I'm counting or anything.)

I have noticed that historically the CZ seems to lose more time over BNSF territory rather than UP.
I agree with you, if by history you mean 3 years. Prior to that it was just the opposite.
Right, should have been more specific as to the term "historical".

Apparently there are slow orders on the Moffat Sub that would explain any delay between DEN-WIP. All the Zephyr talk has me itching for my CHI-GJT round trip in 78 days. (Not like I'm counting or anything.)
Any idea when those slow orders might be lifted? (And how slow are these slow orders, if you know?)

Any idea when those slow orders might be lifted? (And how slow are these slow orders, if you know?)
Sorry, I don't. I only learned of them from a trip report on another board. He described the reason as track maintenance so it's possible the they won't last long. I can't imagine UP wants an extended traffic jam on both sides of the Moffat Tunnel.

BNSF has been doing a lot of maintenance and other track projects in the Ottumwa, Iowa area lately. I don't know how much of a factor that been toward delays though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back