California Zephyr - Is there any snow in July, August?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Bimm

Do you see any snow on the California Zephyr in July and August?

MAYBE around Moffet Tunnel. When I rode it westbound in Nov '11, I did not see snow (except maybe on the tops of the mountains as we approached Denver) until we came out of the tunnel.

I once traveled the CZ in March and only at the very.highest elevations in Colorado was there any snow even then, and for only a very few miles of that. There was much more snow in the Sierras, however. In July and August, very unlikely.

As much as I hate snow, I was looking forward to seeing some snow capped mountain tops in Colorado when I am on #6 next month. Too bad it's not likely according to the above posts.

One might think it's snowing with all the cottonwood seeds flying through the air in Iowa right now.

As much as I hate snow, I was looking forward to seeing some snow capped mountain tops in Colorado when I am on #6 next month. Too bad it's not likely according to the above posts.
I'm on #8 going through the Cascades now and there is still some snow on the highest peaks. You picked the wrong route! :lol: J/K
Actually, I start my trip west on #7 to PDX. :)

You'll probably see more in the Rockies than in the Sierras this year. When I took the CZ in late March, snow covered only the upper 1-2,000 feet of the mountains around Donner Pass. It was pitiful, really, for a line where avalanches once stranded a train for days. Today I can report that about 1/4 of the above-timberland slopes in the Front Range west of Denver still have snow cover, but you'll be two thousand feet beneath them, down in the Moffat Tunnel.

For the better part of the first decade of this century, my family and I would camp at the YMCA of the Rockies near Granby, CO during the July 4th week. There was never snow on the ground at Moffat Tunnel's West Portal.

Every time we went, though, we would go to the top of Corornas/Rollins Pass (the old rail route that Moffat Tunnel replaced). Most of the time, no snow. But twice there was. One of those times, the snow was pretty thin, and freestyle skiers would take to the hills, climbing up and skiing down. The other time, the snow had to be plowed to make it to the top of the hill, and the snow walls were SIX FEET HIGH.

So, yes, there is a chance you'll SEE snow, but not very likely that you'll actually encounter it at ground level.

That being said, there was a snow shower last week along portions of the Empire Builder in Montana...

I can remember going through Donner pass with 18 feet of snow along the tracks,,,, but that was in early February in the 90's.

Makes you understand why the namesakes had to eat each other to survive

Unfortunately the lack of rain and snow this winter will mean the SIerra are severely lacking in the snow cover.

Definitely no snow visible from the CZ in California this July and August. Earlier this month, there was some visible from the CZ in eastern Nevada, and most definitely in Colorado near the Moffat Tunnel. You can get a pretty good approximation of what amount of snow you will see near the Moffat Tunnel by looking at the webcam at http://www.oppedahl.com/webcams.html

This location is about 50 miles south of the CZ Colorado routing, but nearly the same elevation. The mountains visible in this image top out at an elevation of about 12,800 feet. The camera is located at an elevation of about 9,000 feet.

If you want to see, walk on, touch, and taste snow in July, take the Coast Starlight to Chemult and the Ambus to Bend Oregon. On July 4 the folks at Mt. Bachelor are going to start running the ski lifts again at least on weekends. On May 29 I walked most of the way up (7700' level) on top of about 3-4 feet of hard packed snow. On my hike at the 7000' level I saw 3 snowboarders coming down. The third in line was only wearing his backpack and a hat. He waved (his hand) at me as he passed.

Bend is a great place to visit in any season.

Currently on CZ #5. Snow only at the highest altitudes in the Rocky Mountains and in Eastern Nevada. Can only see it from your window. Don't expect any moisture in the Sierra Nevada range due to extreme drought conditions. Trip late due to freight.

Remember, the train is the vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back