California Zephyr hits car? LNK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
Just was walking out the door when my cellphone made the noise that someone had left a message. My sis called at 6:15am CST and said that the Zephyr had hit a car somewhere near West A Street in LNK. I'm guessing its the #6 but have no time to research this since I'm heading out to work right now and won't be back home until after 9pm tonight. Has anyone heard about this? Thanks!

Home for a second, the EB #6 had a car run around crossing arms and was hit. For sure, one fatality. My workplace told us if we were driving in the area of the accident that the street had been closed.

There really is no learning curve with these people....... As much as it makes me cry out loud to agree with someone like GML, these idiots are better out of the gene pool, trouble is they tend to drag other people down with them.

And 136 passengers are now delayed for hours because the idiot wanted to save 2 minutes of time by going around the crossing arm.

There really is no learning curve with these people....... As much as it makes me cry out loud to agree with someone like GML, these idiots are better out of the gene pool, trouble is they tend to drag other people down with them.
I love you, too, Neil.

And, naturally, agree with your sentiment.

Home for a second, the EB #6 had a car run around crossing arms and was hit. For sure, one fatality. My workplace told us if we were driving in the area of the accident that the street had been closed.
Just for clarification, RailFan here is using EB in the sense of eastbound (which others usually abbreviate e/b), not Empire Builder.

this is soo sad for the amtrak staff. They just had that accident on the Palmetto.

WHAT is wrong with people? Lights, Bells, Gates, Whistles. I mean... if you can't take a hint!

I'm working bookoo hours right now with my job but got home in time to watch the 10pm news last night. From what I could see, I think my favorite Amtrak conductor was working yesterday. The video footage wasn't of him up close but just the way he was walking made me feel that it was him. My heart sank, not that it would be ok to have it be a different conductor but by the looks of it, the vehicle was smashed upon impact and then dragged down the rail line and then it hit a bridge. They literally used a piece of construction equipment to take the car to a flatbed trailer. They interviewed passengers as well and most felt for the family of the victim and most of them just shrugged about the 5 hour delay since someone died because of it.

I watched alot more info on it at www.1011now.com if I remember the link correctly. 10/11 is our local news station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortanately, its called impatience. We all do it. Even moreso in today's world. Maybe not at RR crossings as we are railfans and know the danger, but I am sure we have all ran an intersection when the light is changing from green to red... The impact would be different, but it all amounts to impatience.

Very true - BUT I see a BIG difference between running a light that just changed from green to yellow and driving around crossing gates that are down at 50 MPH! :rolleyes: I think even a non-rail fan would know that! :rolleyes:

Amtrak crash kills 42-year-old Lincoln man

A 42-year-old Lincoln man was killed early Thursday when he tried to drive around railroad crossing arms -- and was struck by a northbound Amtrak. 

The lights were flashing and crossing arms down on West A Street near Southwest Sixth Street as the train approached just before 6 a.m., said Officer Katie Flood.

Witnesses said they saw Huy Nguyen drive his black Acura slowly toward the tracks, about two blocks east of Southwest Sixth on West A.

Then, they said, Nguyen drove around one car that was stopped for the train before maneuvering his way around the crossing arms, Flood said.

His Acura was hit immediately by the train.

Nguyen, alone in his car, was dead at the scene, Flood said. No one on the train was injured.
"Northbound Amtrak"? According to the map of the area, the train probably would have been running in a northeasterly direction at the point of impact. Still, given that it's an east-west service, it's hard to believe the reporter wouldn't have accurately given the train's primary direction of travel.

No one to blame but the victim for this, no matter which way the train was going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back