California Zephyr and Colorado flooding status

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard on the news that the section is open, but there are so many freight trains backed up, and they take priority.
UP doesn't run much (if any) through freight on the Moffat Line even in normal conditions. Yes there are trains serving industries along the line that may be a little backed up, but its not as though there's a pile of hot Intermodal trains waiting to get through. Those trains are going to be taking the faster, flatter route through Wyoming on a normal basis anyway.
http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/56722-5-11-held-up-by-flooding-in-colorado/?p=476340

I heard on the news that the section is open, but there are so many freight trains backed up, and they take priority.
UP doesn't run much (if any) through freight on the Moffat Line even in normal conditions. Yes there are trains serving industries along the line that may be a little backed up, but its not as though there's a pile of hot Intermodal trains waiting to get through. Those trains are going to be taking the faster, flatter route through Wyoming on a normal basis anyway.
So I have a choice of either believing what people are seeing with their own eyes, people who live along the route, or alternatively depend on theories presented here. OK. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
That washout is surely hard to fill. If they got it filled so much so fast, that really proves how good UP track crews are.
Thirty-eight fill trains a day is a lot of fill, at that rate, this doesn't surprise me.
How do they dump from the fill train into the fill? They can't just run it to the side and open up one end.
I would really like to see how they did that, too. Wasn't one of the innumerable TV reality shows on the scene, filming and explaining how they dumped fill hundreds of feel down into that chasm, with enough control and finesse to create a stable mass with proper drainage? No? Too bad.

Weds. 9 October

When is the CZ scheduled to return to the original route DEN to SLC, via Glenwood Springs,

and Grand Junction. ??

Peter Richards

Boulder, CO.
Exact date has not been announced, but is anticipated to be on or shortly after 19 October.

I say this because if you go to the amtrak.com website and attempt to book a trip from Denver to Glenwood Springs, the website provides bus-only options for all dates through 18 October. Starting with 19 October, it shows train, BUT with an Exclamation Point. Click on that Point and you get a window describing the current service outage, with no exact date for restoration.
Sat. 12 October 2013

CZ # 5, and CZ # 6, are today operating the 'real' route between SLC and DEN, via Glenwood Springs, and Grand Junction, and are no longer going via Wyoming.

Damn, I was hoping to ride the WY. section for the hell of it...

Peter Richards

Boulder, CO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back